Pics Of Unlisted Marks

kc8hnz

Ever been out benchmark hunting and find a mark that isn't listed but either its very unique or you just got an outstanding picture of it? Well, then this thread is for you! Post the pic and some info about your mark to make things a little more intresting. I'll start us off with a US Department of Interior BM I found a while back:

169808_500.JPG

Found this one off of a USGS topo map, place on a railroad bridge passing over SR 303 in Beldon, Ohio. Turns out it was a USGS disk, just with a differnt marking.

Found this one off of a USGS topo map, place on a railroad bridge passing over SR 303 in Beldon, Ohio. Turns out it was a USGS disk, just with a differnt marking.

Wow! What a wierd juxtaposition of hobbies!

I play Microsoft's Train Simulator and someone created a shortline railroad called Canton that I was running trains on just last night. I am going to have to stop the train at all the bridges now and check to see if the creator put this benchmark disk on any of them. :(

This may look like is should be posted somewhere else but since the subject of this discussion is Pics of Unlisted Marks, I'll show it here and challenge anyone to find this BM in geocaching.com database. AB0711 was declared DISTROYED in 1987!

28178_2600.JPG

This BM was located northwest of Harlingen, Texas on the abandoned Texas and New Orleans Railroad. This view is to the northwest with the BM on the left and Santa Rosa, Texas in the background.

28178_2700.JPG

Edited by Colorado Papa

Well, even though that benchmark's location is pretty obvious nearly every benchmark within about 100 foot of a railroad track here in GA is destroyed due to the constant work and constructions on tracks. The 2nd closest benchmark to us was practically within walking distance, but we suspect that it's now in a pushed-up pile of rubble down in the gulley next to the tracks. This may have been the reason it was listed destroyed... because so many of them are.