Calling All Moving Cache Hunters.

CoyoteRed

In another thread, I discussed a type of cache that would eventually go away. However, some have complained that cachers would tear up the area after the cache is gone to make sure they aren't missing it.

I would like to hear from those who have been "second finders" of moving caches. In other words, I'd like to hear from people who have hunted a moving cache that has already been picked up. Does the area tend to be more trappled or disturbed than the site of a regular cache? Do people get more aggressive hunting a cache that may or may not be there? What is the general attitude of someone who is hunting a cache that may very well be gone already?

Your input is much appreciated.

I really don't think many people will be able to relate stories to you, since moving caches have been outlawed for some time now, but I could be wrong, there could be tons of them...

I think there are still a number of moving caches around. The thing is, how many of the 'right people' visit this forum? :lol:

<snip>However, some have complained that cachers would tear up the area after the cache is gone to make sure they aren't missing it.

I would like to hear from those who have been "second finders" of moving caches.  In other words, I'd like to hear from people who have hunted a moving cache that has already been picked up.  Does the area tend to be more trappled or disturbed than the site of a regular cache?  Do people get more aggressive hunting a cache that may or may not be there?  What is the general attitude of someone who is hunting a cache that may very well be gone already?

<snip>

As a person who ran a traveling cache for some time here on Vancouver Island, I have experience from the 'running' side of things and as a cacher going after it and finding Stash N Dash in Alberta.

My cache and one in Calgary Alberta, both have/had a stipulation that there was a way of indicating that the cache had been found and moved. In both cases, this was survey tape. In mine I provided a small 'sharpie' to mark the tape with the name of the cache and the cacher, I also asked that it was dated and timed.

The only problem was that occasionaly a cacher would forget to do the tape thing. I never went after the cache and found a 'no tape' incedent so I can't say if any 'damage' was done to the area by over eager cachers. Every time I went after it and it had been found before I got to the cache, the tape was visable. There seemed to be little indication that the cache was there (other then the tape) or there had been a lot of people looking for it.

Stop and Go Go Go is in my area right now. Not a good comparision since it is a location themed magnetic micro. Homing pidgeon moved through the area last fall it had a very specific method of letting STF'ers know the cache was gone. The finder places a stick teepee in the location the cache had been. Just one way to prevent the problem of STF.

Edit: bcrockcrawler types faster than I do. :lol:

Edited by rusty_tlc

I have found a moving cache. I used a Sharpie marker to write a note on a large leaf so that any one looking in the area after I left would know that it was gone. I weighed the leaf down with a couple of rocks so it wouldn't blow away.

I wrote the date and time that I took the cache on the leaf so the next finder would know how much they missed it by. :lol:

Writing a note on a leaf? Hey, paper is made from trees, I just cut out the middle-man!

RichardMoore

The only moving cache that we have found was "Where Did It Go?" in Poinsett State Park. I thought that it was a fun one to do. I can see were you could spent alot of time looking for something that was not there. We go camping and look for caches in the area. Someone could find it and move the cache in the time we leave and get to look for the cache. :lol:

The only moving cache that we have found was "Where Did It Go?" in Poinsett State Park.

We did that one, too. We came up empty the first time. Then I realized I was looking at the wrong file on the PDA. I opened the newer one and we found it at the new spot. I never saw any evidence of aggressive hunting at the first spot.

And a postive note, we flushed a fox at the first site! Beautiful!

They are outlawed but that only means you can't hide new ones. There are plenty of old ones still moving around.

We tried for one in Eugene not long ago. It had moved on but the page didn't clearly indicate that it was in transit. It was hidden on someones property in a residential neighborhood. I'm not shy about these things so I knocked on the front door. It was gone so I didn't bother to rototill his garden.

I would imagine there is less damage done to an area usually.

The Rock that Rolls is an extremely popular moving cache here in Austin. There are currently over 40 accounts watching this cache and at times it gets very competitive but all in good fun!

We absolutely love it as each new location offers a different challange and we get some amazingly creative hides with it.

We've come up 'second time' finders quite a few times (as well as walking away a couple times when we were convinced someone had already snagged it) but we've never really noticed any 'impact' to the area that the rock was originally in. Oh wait, unless you can count how many people you've amused walking around in circles in a busy place when it's hidden in an urban setting and you can't find the darn thing. But, I guess that's a benefit not a detriment. :lol:

In fact we've seen alot more damage done at 'traditional' cache sites than we ever have with this moving cache.

On a sidenote, there is also another moving cache in our area that is listed on Navicache (The Rolling Blackout) that while it doesn't get quite as much attention is alot of fun as well. Because of the nature of the cache container (it's a secret) it is always in plain sight so there is never any need to go 'rooting around' tearing up any of the surrounding area.

Anyway, longwinded I know (Phreak is always telling me I'm much too verbose), but our opinion is that whether or not some 'token' is left behind moving caches are great fun and seem to have much less impact than most of the regular caches we've gone to. But maybe it's because we have such a great group of cachers in this area that grab, place, and post in a very timely manner so there is not usually a lot of futile searching going on.

Hope that helps some! :D

**edited for spelling.

Edited by MustangPhreak&Phate

I missed a moving cache last fall while I was in Chicago. The area did not appear to be trampled in any way. The person who picked it up left a note stuck on a branch that it had been picked up. They also left a pen. I'm not sure why. The note was helpful, but if no one had came looking before it got logged, the note would have become litter. I trashed out the note and pen with me.

Edited by carleenp

So, what I'm hearing is there is little to no impact on cache sites of the type that may not be in the area.

While it is more likely that a TSLN cache (self-limiting cache mentioned in another thread) will still be in the area, I'm thinking the above statements show there will be little impact on a cache site once the TSLN cache has run it's course.

Add to this the option of putting out some kind of warning will further prevent unnecessary hunting.

With a little research I found biodegradable flagger's tape is available very cheap--something on the order $1 per 125' roll in some places. Local availablity is limited, though. It is supposed to last from several weeks to several months. This would be of a benefit to those who carry stale data while not putting out a permanent marker.

The TSLN cache concept continues to intrique me. I don't have any ideas right now of putting one out, it certainly is an option. It's a concept without an application at the moment for me.

I'd like to hear from TPTB on this.

I own a moving micro-cache that is required to stay within a (large) park area and use the "finder places a stick teepee in the location the cache had been" thing to prevent any problems with trashing the woods. I got the idea from one called Riverside Moving Micro. Not sure where it originated. But there seems to be no problem based on posts of both finds and DNF's.

The Commissar