Opsec

Team GeoHoy

I am in the USAF and stationed in Iraq. No specifics on where, reason being OPSEC. I was going to place a cache here, but thought twice about it. I know caching is a sense of tranquility and keeps us sane while we are here, but I thought about posting coordinates on the internet. The enemy isn't as dumb as we think he/she is and have the capability to obtain rockets and computers with GPS capability. I read a SITREP that stated something about a computer confiscated with these capabilities. To me, putting the coordinates on geocaching.com poses a threat to our troops. I am sick of seeing our servicemembers dying. To me this is a preventitive measure that should be taken into consideration. Keep your head down and watch your six.

Thanks for the job you're doing and stay safe! You make a good point. I know there were a few caches placed there by servicemen in Iraq. If they are still active you might want to make sure they are archived if they are in a spot that can be dangerous.

I doubt the enemy is surfing Geocaching.com for targets. Lord know they have plenty without it, but why take the chance?

If they have access to gps guided missiles, they are likely few and far between, and I am sure quite expensive.

This obviously means you now have to place a cache way out in a field somewhere, called General's HQ cache or something. If you can get them to target your poor cache, then they will waste a pricey and rare weapon, heh heh.

It's not necessarily a case of having GPS guided missiles. I doubt they do. But if they have a waypoint, it's pretty easy to calculate the exact distance to it, making it easier to stick a conventional morter, or missile right where they want it.

Good, then they waste morter rounds on a box in a field. Not as expensive, but I am sure these weapons are in limited supply too.

I am in the USAF and stationed in Iraq.

Wait, I thought you were bringing me a travel bug from the east coast, not the middle east!

That's right I am bringing you one. I am stationed in Dover, DE, but am here TDY (temporary duty). I will be back in March. That is why I said have it placed in my cache in March. I will pick it up and bring it out.

I am in the USAF and stationed in Iraq.

Wait, I thought you were bringing me a travel bug from the east coast, not the middle east!

That's right I am bringing you one. I am stationed in Dover, DE, but am here TDY (temporary duty). I will be back in March. That is why I said have it placed in my cache in March. I will pick it up and bring it out.

Gotcha. Hmmm...maybe you can bring back some empty ammo cans? :rolleyes:

And I thought the forums were supposed to be free of political agenda. I hope everyone comes home safe, and I hope you change your avatar to something more appropriate.

What is the political agenda you are accusing, what is inappropriate about the same avatar, and who are you accusing?

Just curious, hugs and kisses.

He was accusing me of having a "John Kerry 2004" banner. I am entitled my own opinion and choice.

And I thought the forums were supposed to be free of political agenda. I hope everyone comes home safe, and I hope you change your avatar to something more appropriate.

What is the political agenda you are accusing, what is inappropriate about the same avatar, and who are you accusing?

Just curious, hugs and kisses.

He was accusing me of having a "John Kerry 2004" banner. I am entitled my own opinion and choice.

Oh, I guess it was removed befoe I read this thread. I was trying to figure out was was political about a truck, Smurf, etc. LOL

Being in the Military you should know that the USA has the Capbilities to degrade and also manipulate the Systems to USA advantage.

Play games with the enemy.

Decipher it Cache

Post and watch the area,your are on guard as well as others.Guide them right in to precise coordinates.

You learned encryption,we have defeated the enemy once before with code talkers.

PS

Thank you for your service.

I pray for all of your Safety.

Use your ????(I am not sure how to put it) to your advantage.

I am watching my 6 and a few more.

Nothing can be done yet to make it TRAQUIL

Hope you get home soon!!!!

First, let me add a thanks to you and all those folks serving and doing a job I am sure not many of us would want. I hope you are all home soon and safe.

Not to cause any amount of trouble and I know this is not a vacation for anybody there but would this type of hide get approved? Would it be seen as a vacation cache? I would hate to see those folks that likely have little in the way of fun have their cache bounced.

Bring the WMD along while you're at it. :P

Planting those now to be "discovered" near election time, no doubt.

Here Sparky, hold the end of this tape measure please. Yea, right on the end. Lets see, 9 foot, 11 inches.

Grab that one there. 10 foot ? Not long enough. Is there a longer one ? No? ok. Sorry guys, I'm not properly equipped here, all my poles are 10 foot or shorter.

Go ahead Sax and Sparky, I'm not throwing the fuel on this one, tempting as it is.

Bring the WMD along while you're at it. :P

Here Sparky, hold the end of this tape measure please. Yea, right on the end. Lets see, 9 foot, 11 inches.

Grab that one there. 10 foot ? Not long enough. Is there a longer one ? No? ok. Sorry guys, I'm not properly equipped here, all my poles are 10 foot or shorter.

Go ahead Sax and Sparky, I'm not throwing the fuel on this one, tempting as it is.

;)

Bring the WMD along while you're at it. ;)

7_2_200.gif

Are you trying to say we shouldn't have invaded Iraq? :P

...that Saddam is really a nice guy, just misunderstood? :P

...that we should have just kept supplying the Iranians with arms and let them fight the war? :P

What about Saddam's ties to terrorism? :D

Should we let someone like that help terrorists get resources? :D

Should we let anyone help terrorists get resources? :D

I'd say something like, "then we won't help when they start bombing Finland!" but I don't think anyone would waste their bombs on such an insignificant country like that.

How about we keep politics out of these forums? This is Geocaching, not Democracy! :D

...that Saddam is really a nice guy, just misunderstood? ;)

...that we should have just kept supplying the Iranians with arms and let them fight the war? :D

What about Saddam's ties to terrorism?  :P

Should we let someone like that help terrorists get resources?  :D

Should we let anyone help terrorists get resources?  :P

I'd say something like, "then we won't help when they start bombing Finland!" but I don't think anyone would waste their bombs on such an insignificant country like that.

How about we keep politics out of these forums? This is Geocaching, not Democracy! :D [/color]

LOL, that's clever. Sharing the views on politics and then policing it out from the forums. :D

Expect a private message and a history lesson soon. Obviously you need one. :D

...that Saddam is really a nice guy, just misunderstood? ;)

...that we should have just kept supplying the Iranians with arms and let them fight the war? :D

What about Saddam's ties to terrorism?  :P

Should we let someone like that help terrorists get resources?  :D

Should we let anyone help terrorists get resources?  :P

How about we keep politics out of these forums? This is Geocaching, not Democracy! :D

LOL, that's clever. Sharing the views on politics and then policing it out from the forums. :D

Expect a private message and a history lesson soon. Obviously you need one. :D

Finland, Finland, Finland.

The country where I want to be,

Pony trekking or camping,

Or just watching TV.

Finland, Finland, Finland,

It's the country for me.

You're so near to Russia,

So far from Japan.

Quite a long way from Cairo,

Lots of miles from Vietnam.

Finland, Finland, Finland.