Geocaching Conventions

rusty_tlc

How did it go?

When where is the next one?

I wonder if a big organized event would work? Like at a convention center with meetings and sponsors. Might be like herding cats getting geocachers together in one place.

Edit: Oh sure edit the reply to my post in while I'm typing. :D

Edited by rusty_tlc

The Second Annual Geo-Woodstock will be in Nashville TN this year, the land of plenty ( caches ) on Sat. July the 3rd at Edwin Warner Park the second park in the US to hide there own caches.

Cache page will be up in a few days Look For It…………………..JOE

To answer 9key’s question: “Why did many of the attendees log the event as a find multiple times? Some logged 5 times”

This was a very low keyed event, Show Me The Cache brought four micro’s and gave them to four different cachers and we announced that there were out ( and I think this is where the phrase “ Is That A Cache In Your Pocket Or Are You Glad To See Me” came from ) there hiding and if you found them and signed the log book it was a smiley face for them and they could log the page multiple times , at the time it was OK, things may have changed since then

Quote from Jeremy Irish:

“I couldn't give two hoots if someone wants to log an event cache twice. It's their find count and there is no competition here. So if you find a cache at an event, knock yourself out.”

It was a great ice breaker between goecacher’s to meet others, lets face if a stranger walked up to you and said is that a cache in you pocket or are you glad to see me. It worked. If the TPTB will allow it again then, we will do it again………………..JOE

A question about the Geo-Woodstock:

Why did many of the attendees log the event as a find multiple times? Some logged 5 times.  :D

There were four micros hidden at the event. The site asks that temporary caches be logged on the event cache page rather than creating cache pages for them since they are for the event only. I had only logged one as found and treated them as a multi-cache of sorts. You will see that I have changed my "note" to a "found" recently with an explaination. The micro-caches were:

1. Peace

2. Compass

3. Toooo Coooooooool

4. Better Half Shell

From my log:

"I found Better Half Shell Micro second, but it had become a traveler and was renamed *Love* (noone really knew who had it, but as ClayJar said, Love is hard to find). It was passed to me, and since travelers are banned I kept it and renamed it *No, I'M mtn-man!* (You had to be there.)"

When I got there about 10 - 15 people had "mtn-man" name tags on! I was honored and got a great laugh out of it. I had been very quiet about showing up, but JoGPS let some people know that day and got a bunch of people to put "mtn-man" name tags on. I got a lot of "So *YOUR* mtn-man!" comments that day. :D

Somewhere a bit further north might be nice.......say......CHICAGO!?!? :D

That way more people from the great white north may attend.

PS: my suggestion for Chicago has absolutely NOTHING to do with my living in the area. :D

I would think a convention city would be better. Maybe Las Vegas? 498 of the 1017 caches in Nevada are in the Las Vegas area (according to Buxley).

My suggestion is completly unbiased, I live no where Las Vegas. Look at my sig line. :D

... lets face if a stranger walked up to you and said is that a cache in you pocket or are you glad to see me. It worked. If the TPTB will allow it again then, we will do it again………………..JOE

This line has been bothering my since I read it this afternoon. What did you say if you were talking to a girl/woman/lady? :D