Why not find a few first?

Nurse Dave

I'm writing this because of seeing several posts by people that are having caches archived right away or asking we they need to follow the rules. Looking at their profiles there is one person with 3 finds, one with 2 and one with no finds asking about placing a cache.

I would encourage anyone new to this activity to take the time to find several caches first. 15-25 something like that. Find out what works and what doesn't. Find out what you like to hunt for and what you don't. Then go out and hide some. It seems silly to have people complaining about caches not being approved or asking why they can't be an exception to the rule without really taking the time to learn much about geocaching first.

I know this wouldn't stop all of that, but people might be a little more willing to help or understand your situation if you put a little time in first. And yes I know there are people that hide good caches right off, but those seem to be the exception.

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

I'm writing this because of seeing several posts by people that are having posts markwelled right away or asking why they need to tell people to follow the rules. Looking at their posts there is one person with hundreds of posts and should know better.

I would encourage anyone new to this activity to take the time to read several posts first. 15.25 something like that. Find out what has been posted and what hasn't. Then go post something. It seems silly to have people complaining about posts that are already posted or asking why they can't start the thread over again without really taking the time to do a search in the forum first.

I know this wouldn't stop all of that, but people might be a little more willing to read your posts if you put a little time in first. And, yes I know there are people that post originally right off, but those seem to be the exception.

(man, that was a lot of typing for one joke icon_wink.gif)

stealyourcache.gif Ever notice how anyone that caches more than you do is a maniac, while anyone that caches less than you do is an idiot? -Dru Morgan

I'm with you Dave. I found quite a few before placing my first cache. This is a subject that should be discussed again too, since it is beneficial discussion for newbies. So I am linking to one of the previous discussions on the same subject. Find a few caches before you place any.

Cache you later,

Planet

So many caches, so little time.

[This message was edited by Planet on May 31, 2003 at 09:23 AM.]

I think you should hide a few before you find any. That way you are creative and are not yet biased by the placment of other caches.

After you start finding caches you start getting an idea of what everyone else does and that sure as hell influences what you do.

Once you found a cache you have been compromised and have lost your purity. Any idea that you think is original is probably tainted with a cache you saw from that first cache on.

Anybody can go out and find a cache. But to hide one, one that is untainted by the mundane caches already out there is truly special.

I propose that people place 42 caches before they find their first one.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on May 31, 2003 at 10:44 PM.]

Boy. You guys had me going for a moment.

I thought you guys where going to be tough on this one.

I think you should have to find at least 25 in four different states - out West and 10 in the East -and plant 3 per state as well. And they have to be different types of containers so you will know what type will work. With different colored pens to write with.

logscaler.

I plan to find all the caches before I make one. Read: ALL*

I think my first cache will be in my front yard. I'll hide it in the mailbox to make it a little bit trickier.

(*based on 99999999999 mile search from home location... didn't turn out the results I wanted)

/Benjamin

Carbondale, IL

Caching Newbie

Although I'm still definately new... I think it's a good idea to seek out caches before you place them, but...

Being someone who doesn't have a super high cache density in my area... I think it's OK to place a cache relatively early in your journies, if there is a need for more caches.

It's fun to place a cache, but, IMHO, it's more fun to find them. The places I'd hide a cache are places I already know of (and although sharing those places is fun), I really get a kick out of geocaching from going to new and interesting places.

quote:
Originally posted by protocoldroid:

Being someone who doesn't have a super high cache density

I thought cache density was when you couldn't find the cache even with the clue....?

(OK, so I've done that joke before.)

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Number of finds logged on the website is not necessarily the number actually found. I bet that there are many cachers who are not interested in logging their finds on the website. A good friend of ours who geocaches has logged only a few finds on the website.

Although we can see why finding a number of caches before placing one would be preferred, it should not be mandatory to do so. Otherwise, we would miss out on some great caches and locations!

While some people prefer to concentrate on finding caches, others are more excited about placing caches for others to find. We're sure that most every cache placer's intentions are good. Like other areas in life... some geocache placers seem to naturally have the gift, while some don't. Regardless, we can't think of a single found cache that we haven't enjoyed (though a few have been rather odd...)

--laurak

Temporarily French Polynesia's most prolific geocachers!