Minimum Pda Requirements

Andy and Robin

I was asking that question as I was still using my old Handspring Visor for the usual functions that consumed about a third of its 2meg memory and then when I got into Geocaching I decided to continue with it as a learning tool till it topped out, then move into a higher capacity Palm.

Result: I'm still happily using it, downloading all the caches I need into both CacheMate and Plucker on the Visor, with room to spare.

You have to be a paying member to be able to get pocket quiries, what you need to be able to put the info on your palm. I just made the switch to paperless and it is great. The three bucks a month is well worth it even if it is just to support the website. I just went to a city with a large cluster of caches. I just had the gpsr tell where the nearest cache was and then called up the info on the pda. Could'nt have done that before without a lot of planning and a lot of wasted paper. :)

Do you need to be a paying member to paperless cache? I'm not a paying member, yet.

F_M

No, you don't need to be a premium member to go paperless, but it is easier if you can do pocket queries.

If you don't do a PQ then you need to save each cache page as a text file to your computer. Then edit each file for just the info you need to find the cache. then save the edited version to the PDA. It is slow but it can be done. This is how You would have to do benchmarks since PQ's are not available for benchmarks.

We use a Palm Zire 21 and it has plenty of memory and only cost $90 - $100.

good luck

John

Is it strictly a text display, or can you include the maps in your pages? Any graphics involved on the cache pages? ...

Plucker sends most of the info from the cache page into the palm. Included is waypoint and cache name, type and size of cache, coords, terrain and difficulty ratings, description, a link to the decrypted link, the last five posts, and the nearest caches. What you don't get is a map or any pics.

Is it strictly a text display, or can you include the maps in your pages?  Any graphics involved on the cache pages?  What application do  you use to show the pages on the PDA?

F_M

BTW, I will be joining, just haven't gotten around to it.

For the benchmarks I save the pages as text files only. I use mobi-pocket (the free version) on the pda.

What I normally do is edit a series of benchmarks by opening each saved file and then high-light anything I do NOT need to have in order to find the benchmark and then CUT it out. After doing all the marks for an area I open a new "notepad" and copy the files to that 'notepad'. I then load that single file as a Mobi-document to the PDA.

I have not tried save the files as "web pages" or "HTML" documents. I was trying to save memory space on the PDA.

My GPSr has the maps loaded a card so I didn't feel the need to try and download the maps.

Hopes this helps,

John