Adpoted Lcs?

cacheKidds

I've never seen it done, but I'm contemplating co-ownership of my LC so that other countries can do the cache and have a local who can check logs.

The problem is that they can check, but I still do all the log deletions so it's not tru co-ownership. It would make it possible to extend the Fill in the blanks concept to a few other countries though.

Seriously though, I asked the owner if they would mind if I adopted mine. I then emailed Groundspeak and supplied them with copies of the emails from the cache owner and explained that I had the time to properly maintain the cache.... oh yeah, I also did say "Please" :o the folks at Groundspeak were kind enough to let me keep a locationless alive for others to find and log and I made sure to thank them for allowing me to do so. All in all, it was a painless process and I'm glad I can help keep one alive for others to find as I love locationless caches!

It was my understanding that they were fazing them out slowly to prepare for the new locationless cache section...

I have not heard that and I don't think that is the case.

My understanding is that no new ones are being approved. That means archived ones are fair game to bring back and while people may not be 100% successful at doing it (WOW factor thing...) some of the ones that died for reasons of maintenance or interest could be revived.

Seriously though, I asked the owner if they would mind if I adopted mine. I then emailed Groundspeak and supplied them with copies of the emails from the cache owner and explained that I had the time to properly maintain the cache.... oh yeah, I also did say "Please" :o the folks at Groundspeak were kind enough to let me keep a locationless alive for others to find and log and I made sure to thank them for allowing me to do so. All in all, it was a painless process and I'm glad I can help keep one alive for others to find as I love locationless caches!

Pretty similar case with the Cigar Store Indian. I saw a note on the page that he was about to archive it, and I sent him a note asking if I could adopt it, rather than one of the rare locationless be archived. And besides, I love the old indians.... and I hadn't found one yet! Turns out it was due to a lack of time on his part to do the maintenance of checking logs, etc.

The owner said "sure," and the ball was rolling -- pretty painless, and it was saved from going out the door.

Want to thank me? Buy me a beer when you see me. Better yet, adopt a locationless yourselves!

Edited by joefrog

My understanding is that no new ones are being approved.

That sucks. I think they're great fun! Lots of them require a bit of research and/or a history lesson, and others are actually useful if you're looking for something rare or in a certain area.

I've got a few ideas for new ones if they're ever allowed again...

the folks at Groundspeak were kind enough to let me keep a locationless alive for others to find and log and I made sure to thank them for allowing me to do so. All in all, it was a painless process and I'm glad I can help keep one alive for others to find as I love locationless caches!

Just pray, to all that you hold holy, that 1200 or so people do not also find your adopted cache to be something they want to log...