Changing Someone Else's Cache Area

MobyRick

I'm a little upset with someone. I placed a cache which was a pretty easy one. It was under a large rock. The rock was covered in dried up grass and weeds. Someone came by and cleared off all of that and made the rock stick out like a sore thumb. Please tell me that that is not a normal practice.

Was it a gardner that did that?

Moving someones cache or changing the area doesn't happen all that often. I have flipped over rocks and bark myself but not to the extent that an area gets changed enough to make a cache easier to spot.

I did have a newbie move my cache to the location they thought their gps said it should be. This is a guardrail cache but it's a joke cache and having it right in front of a sign that's there was the entire point of the cache. So moving it 30 feet away changed it.

I moved it back and my coordinates were right on to begin with. Some people........

I had someone tie a 2-foot ribbon of yellow flagging tape to my camo-painted micro before tucking it back into it's hiding spot :huh:

Hoo, boy. That's rich!

I found a cache several weeks ago that someone had marked the .5 mile trail with piles of hedgeapples, then left a 10 foot line of them pointing right to the cache. Pretty stupid!

I'm a little upset with someone. I placed a cache which was a pretty easy one. It was under a large rock. The rock was covered in dried up grass and weeds. Someone came by and cleared off all of that and made the rock stick out like a sore thumb. Please tell me that that is not a normal practice.

It's naive to think that dried grass and leaves are going to stay in place for any extended length of time, especially on a rock.

What's the chances that they thought it was a fake rock and were trying to find out how to open it?

I try to leave the area how I found it. But the reality is that the best I can do is not perfection. If someone is night caching or joggers come by or the just have some bad luck, well, the results are less than ideal. That's part of life.

There's also plenty of times that I've been looking for a cache and I stumble across it, without thinking "it might be under this dead branch". At that point, I've no idea exactly how the branch was positioned before. The best I can do is re-hide it the way I thought it might have been.

After a half hour search, I wonder how reasonable it is to replace every single stone exactly the way it was before, especially when the cache is under the 34th rock, and I've taken another five minutes to TSLSSL.

Thrashing live flora is one thing, and almost always unacceptable. Moving dead stuff and minerals is completely different.

(Side note: shouldn't this be moved to the "Geocaching topics" forum. This isn't .com related at all.)

You could add a note to the cache page saying something along the lines of "please leave the cache hidden exactly as you find it..." Lots of cache owners do that. But that only helps if someone reads it. Of course then you could have the opposite problem if a muggle ravages your cache and leaves it strewn hither and yon. Then you may NOT want the next cacher that comes along to leave it that way. <_< Whatever you do, don't make the HINT a disertation about how to re-hide it. If sit there for an hour in the rain decoding it with my broken pencil, only to read about re-hiding, I'll wanna bonk you on the head. I guess if you're really anal you could take a photo of the hiding place as you like it and place it prominently inside the cache.

Edited by Karma Hunter