The Geocache From Hell

qhtxvckfkfl

:huh: I FOUND THE GEOCACHE FROM HELL! IN THE POINT WASHINGTON GEOCACHE WAS A NOTE WITH COORDINATES TO ANOTHER CACHE AT ANOTHER STATE PARK-I WENT THERE THE NOTE SAID IT WAS A THE BASE OF A FALLEN TREE-ONLY ONE PROBLEM THERE WERE 10-20 FALLEN TREES IN THE AREA, I NEVER FOUND IT AND THERE WERE VINES THAT HAD 1 INCH LONG THORNS ON THEM AND I CUT MY LEGS UP VERY BADLY!!! GEOCACHING IS NOT FUN WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN SENT TO AN "IMAGINARY" CACHE AND THEN HAVE BOTH YOUR LEGS CUT UP SO BADLY!!! WOULD SOMEONE JUST OUT OF CRUELTY POST THIS AS A "JOKE"? Edited by Pirate_Treasure_Hunter

Yes, but where in the hell was the cache?

Perhaps it was in the fourth circle, with the hoarders and spendthrifts. It sounds like the sort of thing a hoarder would do.

Then again, the fifth circle is for the wrathful and sullen...and typing in all caps and using frowny faces might indicate it was there..hmmmm.

Bret

sounds like you were looking for a multi cache. they are fun and frustrating at the same time. fun because you have to look in more than one place. frustrating because you have to look in more than one place. seriously they can be a challenge some of them only give clues and not coordinates. if it listed coordinates for the third part try to get as close as the gps will go. once you get to that point ( once the gps starts pointing every which way) then just stop and look. use the distance it shows at the closest point i.e. 20 feet. now try and draw an imaginary circle 20 feet around you then look for the most likely hiding spots in that area.

So, your topic title should be "I almost found the geocache from hell".......

After a few more experiences like that, you may develop the talent to look before you leap into something.

Many-times, the most direct route is the worst. If you look around, there may be another way in. After all, the hider has to get there to place it.

(Assuming you didn't enter the coordinates for the last part incorrectly.)

1) Attitude is everything. I had a great time not finding this cache 4 times.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...b6-9e853b2e1cc4

http://nozen.com/geo/damCache/

2) There is no shame in realizing you don't have the right clothes/equipment/light/whatever and coming back when you do have the right stuff.

3) If you don't find it that doesn't mean it isn't there. I've failed to find lots of things that are there. My car keys aren't imaginary but I've failed to find them lots of times.

I could go back but do you think that there is any chance....that this is an "imaginary" and not a REAL cache?

There is always that chance. There's that chance on that cache and a similar chance on whatever cache you choose to go to instead of that one. Caches get found and removed all the time. That's just part of the life cycle. I've posted a couple DNFs on caches that just weren't there just like I've posted a couple DNFs on caches that were. That's just the way the ball bounces.

Edited by bons

Yeah, that sounds like the right one. I read most of the logs, and only one of them mentioned a second cache from coords found in this cache. That person didn't find it either. No one else ever mentioned it that I could see. Sounds like maybe it could have been just a cruel prank played by some other cacher. Have you emailed the owner to see if they actually put those coords in the cache?

EDIT: Doh!!!! That only cacher to mention the coords was you! Geez, I missed your name on the log! :D:D:huh:

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Well, here is the Point Washington Cache (GC819E).

It sounds like a note with coordinates to a bonus (bogus?) cache were included among the contents so it is difficult to tell from his explanation whether this is even a registered cache. Point Washington isn't a multi-cache.

Pirate, I went and read your logs on your other finds. One thing that you might think about is creating a waypoint when you get out of your car. This should help you keep track of where you started (it may also save you having to go back to the house and get that ball of twine). I seem to recall you have a Garmin Etrex. You can also turn on tracklogs (think virtual breadcrumbs) which might help.

Good luck. (By the way, you definitely have the concept of "trading up" mastered. Let me know if you are ever near Waco, Texas--you can visit any of my caches! :huh: ).

Edited by Alphatexana
I DID find the coordinates at the cache mentioned: Point Washington (FL). Did someone else mention the coordinates?????

No, I read the log you posted and didn't realize it was yours till after I posted here. Why don't you email the owner and ask him if those coords were meant to be in there? See what he says about it. It may save someone else the pain and discourse you went through if in fact it is bogus. Even if it's real, the cache owner may not want it there.

No-I am POSITIVE that the cache owner (a mysterious man known only as "Agent Mulder") is NOT resposible-I am positive that HE wouldn't have done this.  There is a certain way he places his caches, this is just NOT his M.O. :huh:

I've heard other cachers talk about Agent Mulder. Seems to be a good cache hider, from what I've read!

EDIT: Ya still might want to let him know about it though. If he's as reputable as people say, I'm sure he'd want those coords removed. :D

Edited by Sparky-Watts

"The cache I have the coordinates to is NOT listed at Geocaching.com. So why put it in another cache??? "

Congrats! You've found a *bonus* cache! A seperate cache that's not known to anyone but the person who finds the FIRST cache!

At least, that's what I'm guessing happened. Why would someone do this? Maybe because they thought others would enjoy a hunt that wasn't blessed by gc.com??

I set out FindersKeepers: one time caches for the first person to get the coords. Folks seem to like them. Sorry you had a bad experience with a bonus cache.

The preceding two posts, by Pirate Treasure Hunter and Welch, originally appeared as a separate topic.  I merged them into this one so that the question made more sense in the context.  One forum topic per cache is plenty.

DANG YOU!!

I go edit my post to explain I think I found it and it wouldn't let me edit my post!!! :blink:

edit:

Anyways... :D

I used Buckley's to look at the area, and as luck would have it there was an outdated pin right there. I think the cache you found was Eden's Garden because the coords are a dead on match!

Edited by welch

Today, I decided to go hunting for 3 caches that were DNF's when I started caching late last summer. And guess what? I found all three of them easily. Experience pays off. I had better eyes this time, because now I know how to think like a cache. (OK, it helped that it's winter, and two of them were in dense undergrowth areas.) But still.

My point: DO log the DNF, so that later, you can look them up in your log file, and try again, after you get a few more finds under your belt.

Bet if you try again in a few months, you'll find it. And wear high-topped boots and thick jeans to protect your legs against those thorns. A walking stick helps; you can use it to bushwack the undergrowth.

Today, I decided to go hunting for 3 caches that were DNF's when I started caching late last summer. And guess what? I found all three of them easily. Experience pays off. I had better eyes this time, because now I know how to think like a cache. (OK, it helped that it's winter, and two of them were in dense undergrowth areas.) But still.

My point: DO log the DNF, so that later, you can look them up in your log file, and try again, after you get a few more finds under your belt.

Bet if you try again in a few months, you'll find it. And wear high-topped boots and thick jeans to protect your legs against those thorns. A walking stick helps; you can use it to bushwack the undergrowth.

But if a cache was truly "IMAGINARY", how can you log it?? :blink:

I should have written with those coordinates that the cache is supposed to be found in Eden State Park in the forest at the base of a fallen tree. You will have trouble getting your GPS to work-but here are the coordinates again:

N 30 22.412

W 86 07.006

As I said before, I believe that this is an IMAGINARY cache and that it does NOT exist-but-happy hunting. Beware of the vines with the ince long thorns on them!!!!! :o

I should have written with those coordinates that the cache is supposed to be found in Eden State Park in the forest at the base of a fallen tree.  You will have trouble getting your GPS to work-but here are the coordinates again:

N 30 22.412

W 86 07.006

As I said before, I believe that this is an IMAGINARY cache and that it does NOT exist-but-happy hunting.  Beware of the vines with the ince long thorns on them!!!!! :o

I used Buckley's to look at the area, and as luck would have it there was an outdated pin right there. I think the cache you found was Eden's Garden because the coords are a dead on match!