Gps On Commercial Flights?

I have checked the TSB website, but found nothing about carrying my GPS on an upcoming flight. Does anyone know if it is allowed? I am going skiing next week and thought that it would be cool to take my Meridian on the flight... but it sure would suck if it was confiscated. I will be sure to check with the officials before I try.

I've never had a problem. I stuck mine in the window shade on a flight from Chicago to Seattle, was kind of cool seeing an average speed of over 200mph :-)

My etrex yellow has about 80,000 miles on it since 9/11/01, five trips to Europe, two trips to Iowa, and one to PA from Seattle, landed in Canada, Iceland, England, Wales, Germany, US. Never even got a question about it.

We had a whole lengthy thread about this on the old board. Some airlines treat them as any other electronic device (use during cruise okay) while others treat them like cell phones (use prohibited while aircraft door is closed).

Some finer points:

Even though they are GPS"R"s (receivers), ALL electronic devices inherently emit a very weak radio signal! Most are too weak and/or of the wrong frequency to cause interference to other devices. BUT, if a unit malfunctioned and a short circuit happened in the right place, the signal could indeed get stronger and/or change frequencies - and then all bets are off! If the crew does a cabin sweep for electronic devices, and they instruct you turn off all PEDs, then by golly - turn off your GPSr!

Some stews will give you a BS answer about FAA regulations. If you know how to read FAA mumbo-jumbo, it translates to mean that it is up to the carrier (not the FAA). The device must be FCC Class B approved. Most handhelds are, and bear the FCC logo on the back somewhere. It's always good to bring the manual if there is any question. Some stews may not know that the FCC logo means "Class B". Garmin Rinos have two-way radios, and WILL cause harmful interference! Those are EXTREME NO-NOs!!!

If a stew gives you any lip about it, don't press the issue - just put it away! It ain't worth goin' to jail for "interfering with a flight crew's performance of duties"! But, the captain ulimately has the final word! :rolleyes: If an airline generally allows them, one captain may say no, whereas on some airlines that don't allow them, the captain may indeed say, Yes!" So, if you can, check with the "BIG GUY" up front.

Is it Safe to use a handheld GPS Receiver on a Commercial Aircraft?

The Airlines which OFFICIALLY APPROVE the use of GPS receivers during CRUISE

Also:

If your GPSr has a jack for an external antenna, get an external antenna with a suction mount! It sure beats holding your GPSr up to the window in your hand throughout the entire flight!

I'll pay an extra $50 or so to fly an an airline that approves their use!

Edited by Neo_Geo
Even though they are GPS"R"s (receivers), ALL electronic devices inherently emit a very weak radio signal!

Unrelated to air travel, but with respect to emitting a radio signal:

Last week I was travelling in a 2003 Toyota Corolla rental. At one stop I returned to the locked car and was resetting the trip timer on my GPS III when the car doors unlocked "by themselves". I was in a hurry and didn't try to duplicate the effect, but I think it ocurred precisely as I pressed the enter button to select "clear trip" from the menu.

I was standing right next to the car at a wildlife refuge with no other cars, traffic etc. in sight. The key fob was in my pocket.

So, while I have personally poo-poohed the airlines for their conservaive position on GPSr's in particular, I guess I have to say I have some personal anecdotal experience to suggest they may have a point.

I had written this on the old boards, but here goes again...

Before you go, check the web site of the airline on which you'll be flying. When I flew Southwest a couple years ago, I checked their site. They had a very specific list of items and when they were/were not allowed. They specifically had GPS receivers listed in the category of "OK at the gate or in level flight -- but not takeoff or landing"

I had a window seat and used my Rino120 (I had the radio shut off) from Milwaukee to Atlanta and then down to Florida. Pretty cool to see what cities you're passing over, to see the speed you're travelling, and to see the track log when you get home and put it on the computer!

But final authority on any airplane is the pilot. If he says do something -- DO IT!!! It doesn't matter if the airline USUALLY allows GPSr's. If the pilot doesn't want it on, shut it off. It's HIS (or HER) bird!

I have taken my Magellan M330 on a few flights, mine does not work unless I can hold it within a few inches of the window. During take off and landing it is a good idea to stow the unit. The last flight Salt Lake, Utah to Los Angeles,Ca. the stewardess was very interested in what I was doing. I showed her the unit and she thought it was very cool that the map on my GPS showed exactly where we were. It is a lot of fun using your gps on a plane with mapping. Just use common sense while using it on an airplane. Razzoo

Another thing I found that helps when you ask...Don't call it a "GPS". Call it a "Travel Companion" I have Always been granted permission (yes, I always ask first) by using this terminology. I even used black electrical tape once on a United flight from SLC to Denver to tape my Mouse II antenna to the window(this was prior to 9-11...I doubt you could get by with this now). the flight attendants were fascinated, and so were other passengers sitting around me.

I have a question about this. If some airline companies will let you use them inflight, but they make you shut off your electronic devices during takeoff and landing blah blah blah... How are you supposed to lock onto a sat signal when you are traveling 300+ MPH? Just wondering.

If you've ever watched the moon as you're riding in a car, it seems to move with you because it is so distant. The sats are pretty far away too, and in similar fashion - if you could see the sats - they would appear to move with you too. No problems getting a lock at 600M.P.H.

Edited by Neo_Geo

This summer I flew Delta and had no problem using my GPSr. I have to admit I didn't read the list of approved devices to carefully though.

This weekend I flew American. GPS was explicitly listed alongside 2 way radios and cell phones. Oh well. It was good at making sure I was awake/ready for things like the rockies, Grand Canyon, Mississsippi (NY to LA).

The hardest part about getting a lock is if you turn it on later in the flight. It will still think you are where you were. Takes a bit longer. I had to re initialize and geustimate where I was. My military friends tell me the same things. They train in US locations and can't figure out why their GPS does not work in Korea.

Edited by CTYankee

bottom line is the flight crew have tha last say. flight crew members do not include the stewards and support crew. if you have any doubts or question ask the pilot or co-pilot and they have the last say, infact ive seen pilots contradict the compaines policies. most of the filght crews ive been in contact with understand the difference between guidlines and safety regulations.

as for the gps opening the car doors, id suspect that it was a fluke but it is possible. all electroninc devices emit rf noise, but having a certification (ie fcc, csa, crtc, or otherwise) means that the manufacturer has managed to get a percentage of its units to pass is random testing, not that all units conform to the standards. id be interested in seeing if you could get repeatalbe results.

You can use your GPS on the flight. I have done it many times. They will ask you to turn it off when taking off and landing. I just got back from a trip yesterday and used mine to see where we were. I always wanted to know how fast we were going when we landed. So I left mine on and checked this time. We were going 150 mph. That was in a 737.