Flying With Gpsr - What Are The Restrictions?

FeinFour

I have a new GPSr (MeriGold) and intend on bringing it with me on a Business Trip in a couple of days....

I checked SouthWest airlines and they allow GPSrs to be on during flight just like any other electronic device...

Will I get through airport security?

What is your experience?

-Steven

London Heathrow security wanted to know what it was and made me switch it on, apart from that no-one else was interested which really suprised when travelling around the US.

Onboard some airlines allow there use, some don't, can't remember which ones though!! Do a search for airline or airplane it should get you some threads relating to GPS usage in flight.

I just got back from a transatlantic flight and had no problems. I didn't get to use it because I wasn't near the window, but I have tracked my flights before. The security people in Germany were more interested in my friend's pocket transistor radio than they were my GPS. They asked what electronic devices I had, I told them cameras and a GPS and they sent me on through without any comment. His radio, on the other hand, they made him take out of his bag twice for inspection before he was able to enter the gate..

Over the last few weeks I've been on six flights. AirTran, Spirit Airlines and American. I made it through all the airports without even being asked to take it out of my carry-on.

Two of the airlines brought up GPSrs during their pre-flight speech, asking for them to not be turned on during the flight.

You shouldn't have a problem. <_<

I flew to and from Florida from NYC last weekend on Delta Song. I was never asked at the gate about my GPS. I was pulled out on the way down for the random search. On the trip down I asked the flight attendant if I could use the GPS. He told me there was no problem, also he was aware what a GPS was and what it did.

Observe the rules and maybe ask the cabin crew if in doubt. I just took my GPS on a flight, and was allowed to use it any time the seatbelt lights were off. Unfortunately, I had to point it out the window for it to get a fix. But we did get a max speed of 572mph, and max altitude around 35000 feet.

It was great to identify the cities as we flew over them.

Cheers,

Stu

I've carried mine on board many times without any problems and use it all the time during flights...I guess, that's the way I entertain myself. :huh: I think, maybe twice, while going thru security, I was asked to turn it on, but I was also asked to turn on my cameras and laptop, too. BTW..."Poindexter", that's a great pic! I'll have to remember to do that, next time.