Gps Car Holder / Mount

tbird2340

I'm trying to think of something to use to hold my GPS while in my car. I don't want to spend $20-$30 for the adapters that are made specifically for that so I went looking on eBay. Here are some things I found:

MotoMagnet - Do you think this will interfere with the GPS or cause harm to it?

Universal Cell Phone Holder - A gps will also fit in this. It clips onto your car vent.

And I just found this one which I might end up getting.

What does everyone else use?

the clip to your vent holders are somewhat scary - i have heard from a few people now that they have caused the vents to snap resulting in a large repair bill - they're also quite difficult to remove - as well they do obstruct airflow from the vent which may or may not bother you and finally - you may end up with a lot of hot air blowing directly onto the device which depending on your car's heating may or may not cause a problem with the device.

Dual Lock. You can buy it by the roll or you can get a small pack of 3" strips at Target or Radio Shack. This stuff is great. I use it to secure my GPS in my car, on my bicycle and to my kayak. You'll find lots of other uses for it and I'm thinking it would make a nice way to attach a microcache somewhere where you couldn't use a magnetic one.

Well I got a vent cellphone holder from Walmart last night and it totally sucked. I put it on the vent and when the GPS is in it just pulls the vent all the way to the bottom making it not vertical.

I took it back today and got this one which I am very happy with so far. You plug it into your cigarette lighter and it can also charge your cell phone. Depending on where your cig adapter is in your car this may / may not be for you.

Quick question... Does anyone know how many volts the cigarette power adapter supplys to the SporTrak Map? I may try and use this to supply power to my GPS rather then my cell phone.

Thanks

I'm trying to think of something to use to hold my GPS while in my car. I don't want to spend $20-$30 for the adapters that are made specifically for that so I went looking on eBay. Here are some things I found:

YES!

I bought a Suction Mount Garmin eTrex eMap GPS 12 Geko about 6 months ago. It seems like I paid less for it, and the goose neck arm on mine is at least 12 inches. Anyway, it works well for me.

Edited by Neo_Geo

Here are pictures of what I just got for mounting my SporTrak in my 2003 Ranger:

GPS_Holder_2_Small.jpg

Large View Image 1

GPS_Holder_3_Small.jpg

Large Image View 2

GPS_Holder_5_Small.jpg

Large Image View 3

You can get this holder at WalMart for $10.00. It's actually a cell phone holder / charger but I think it works great!

I had sorta a question / idea. This holder has a cable that also charges your cell phone. Is it possible to snip the end off the cable and solder the end of the SporTrak cable onto it to provide power to the GPS?

Here is a link to the holder.