Geocaching With An Etrex

streamwader

Did it come with a user manual? If so, go to the page where it tells you how to mark a waypoint. Mark one and edit the coordinates to match those of the cache you are seeking, hit go-to and follow the arrow.

If it didn't come with a manual, you can get a copy at Garmin's website (www.garmin.com).

Edited by briansnat

I would start with some of the various FAQ on Geocaching.com. Basically all you need to do is set a Waypoint and navigate to it (yourmanual should tell you how to do this) then use the clues on the cache page to narrow down your find.

I recommend you start with 1/1 caches.

all the replies are good. one that i would make is mark a waypoint in your yard or driveway or something then go a block or 2 away and use the gps to guide you back. it sounds silly but it's an easy way to get used to it before you're out in the woods and trying to figure it out. also remember to mark a waypoint for your car when you're out caching. hope this helps.

Because I don't have a data cable, I have to do it the slow way...:

Turn it on, and then after the little animation, hold enter. The "Mark Waypoint" screen should come up. Hit up and enter, and change the name to whatever you feel comfy with, then go down and press OK. You should be back at the "Mark Waypoint" screen. Then go all the way down to the coordinates and press enter. Change them to what it says on the cache page, then go down and press OK. Then go up to where the guy says "OK" and press enter.

When you want to find your way there, press page until you get to the menu, then down one where it says waypoints and press enter. Find the waypoint you just saved in one of the tabs and press enter. Select the waypoint and press enter again. Select GOTO and you're on your way!

Edited by dougdrums

Get that cable! I just uploaded 49 nearby caches into mine in less than a minute. That would have taken an hour to input by hand, and I my fingers would have been WASTED.

Streamwader, you might also want to try contacting some of the cachers in your area (email thru their profile pages) and asking them for help. Most of us are more than willing to spends hours on our hobyy... [:lol:] Have FUN!

Get that cable! I just uploaded 49 nearby caches into mine in less than a minute. That would have taken an hour to input by hand, and I my fingers would have been WASTED.

gotta agree with that... aquiring a PC link cable, premium membership and NiMH batteries were my best moves once I got my Geko... typing 500 waypoints in is not fun!

We don't have a cable, and I don't mind entering the coords by hand. It's like putting a phone number in my cell phone....no big deal. My DH bought me a unit like yours for my birthday in Sept., and we have found a dozen or more with it so far (had found a dozen or so before that, too). A cable would be nice, but it is not an absolute necessity. The instruction book is a little vague when it comes to marking and entering waypoints; be sure to read the diagrams and instructions in the margins.

PeachyPA

Punxsutawney, PA

We don't have a cable, and I don't mind entering the coords by hand. It's like putting a phone number in my cell phone....no big deal. My DH bought me a unit like yours for my birthday in Sept., and we have found a dozen or more with it so far (had found a dozen or so before that, too). A cable would be nice, but it is not an absolute necessity.

Not a necessity until you get one. Imagine being to import every phone number from your personal phone book into your new cell phone in a matter of seconds. Then imagine having the 1,000 closest caches to your home already on your GPS and doing it in two minutes with a few keystrokes. It becomes a necessity. Heck, a GPS is not a necessity, but once you have it, it becomes one.

Edited by briansnat

When I used the Etrex yellow, which there is nothing wrong with using by the way, what I used to do is simply print a sheet with all the geocaching coordinates I wanted to do that day. Then I inputed ONE of them. When I found the first cache, I would then input the second set of coordinates. In other words, just input one at a time, it only takes a minute to do when you are done finding your cache. It will also save your fingers from punching in 50 waypoints at one time.

I would use notepad and cut and paste like this

Cache number 1 GC1234 Wxx.xx.xxx Nxx.xxx.xxx

The cache is a ammo box..... (notes you want)

Cache number 2 GC 2343 Wxx.xx.xxx Nxx.xxx.xxx

The cache is a micro located.......(notes you want)

etc. etc.

However if you thinking of buying a Yellow Etrex (100 bucks) AND the cable (est 30 bucks, can get a little cheaper from non-Garmin sources), just buy the Garmin Venture or even the Sportrak Map which will only cost a little bit more then the Yellow+cable, and give you a lot more options also including the data cable for download waypoints.

But again, if you only afford or want to get the Yellow etrex, that will give you plenty of geocaching fun also!

Cheers,

Blake

Oh, I've done it that way, too. But it is so much easier when you're out and about and just want to do the nearest cache. If you don't already have it programmed, you don't spend 20 minutes sorting through all those printouts trying to find which one is nearest... This weekend, I only had three caches that I REALLY wanted to hit, the other ones I did were just "hmm, anything else close?" caches.

Off brand cables are about 10-15 dollars on eBay, BTW. I got the PC/power cable for the eTrexfor $13.00, including shipping. My Meridian came with one, of course.

If you are new to the sport, then it isn't necessary, but I find that as time goes by, I 'need' a whole lot more stuff (two GPSr's, PDA, digital camera) LOL! <_<

Congratulations, Streamwader! Before you know it, you'll be looking for excuses as to why you can't go to work... or find yourself saying things like: "OF COURSE I want to go to your Mother's house dear! What's her zipcode, BTW?"