How Large A Map Fits In 64mb Sd?

FeinFour

Hi..

I am expecting my MeriGold Travel Pack any day now...

In anticipation, I am trying to figure out how much data I can load into the GPSr.

I think I understand that you use the computer to select a region and then upload it to the GPSr. How big a region can that be? I am not expecting to load the whole country, but I live just 24 miles outside of Boston and frequently travel through New England.

Is "New England" a fair size? Or do I have to settle for "Eastern MA" and then "Southern NH" and then "Conway, NH" - 3 separate regions?

TIA...

-Steven

64MB will hold quite a bit...I'm not sure if it will get all of New England. However, large maps might cause you more heartache than good. To route to an address, you first enter the street name, then choose the right street from a list. So if you are going to an address on "Main St." and you have a huge map loaded, you will be paging thru all the Main Streets in New England!

It depends. The max upload for the Meridian series is, as near as I can figure, 16Mb. You load different regions at 16Mb per chunk. The "size" of a region is determined not geographicaly but by how big the file size is. So if you turn off POI (points of interest) you can load a larger geographical region.

Does that make sense? I have the Topo maps and have everything from Canada to Mexico and the Pacific to the eastern border of Nevada, with POI etc. loaded into 64Mb.

Searches can be done by type of feature but you have an option to search by region, colsest to current position, and some others I don't remember.

Hope this helps.

It depends. The max upload for the Meridian series is, as near as I can figure, 16Mb. You load different regions at 16Mb per chunk. The "size" of a region is determined not geographicaly but by how big the file size is. So if you turn off POI (points of interest) you can load a larger geographical region.

Does that make sense? I have the Topo maps and have everything from Canada to Mexico and the Pacific to the eastern border of Nevada, with POI etc. loaded into 64Mb.

Searches can be done by type of feature but you have an option to search by region, colsest to current position, and some others I don't remember.

Hope this helps.

Actually that has been improved to 64MB. I loaded Washington state with overlaps to Idaho and Oregon for 23MB.

With the 3.08 version of the Meridian firmware, size restrictions on the size of map files has been removed. However, the existing MapSend software does not know this, and will try to restrict the size of maps unless told otherwise.

First, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MapSend installation directory. This should be under C:\Program Files\Magellan. Open the MAPSEND.INI file using your favorite text editor. Inside this file, there is a parameter called "Conv_Memory_Size" which is the maximum region size in bytes. Multiply this number by four, and you should be able to have much larger regions. If this line does not exist, then add the following line (case sensitive) under the [Device Defaults] section:

Conv_Memory_Size=65536

Note that the larger the region is, the longer your computer will take to process this region. Processing a 64MB region is likely to take a very long time. You are much better off making smaller maps, and loading multiple map files on your SD card, as described in question 13.

All comments have been well stated for MapSend Topo and S&D, but I think the game changes a bit for the DirectRoute maps that will come in kb1cix's Travel Pack...only in that you sometimes may need honking big files in order to get a route from point A to point B. Both start and finish must be within the same detail map for full routing to work. This sometimes needs a big file.

I just traveled from my home near Gettysburg to Brattleboro, VT and back. A rectangular region with both towns would have included Philadelphia and New York City, and would have been upwards of 74MB or so...larger than my 64MB card could accommodate. I had to break things down to two overlapping map files, plotting a route from start to midpoint (roughly the diagonal of the first map) and midpoint to finish (the diagonal of the second map).

For the reasons cited in previous posts, I would recommend smaller rather than larger files. But when you need a larger file, it may be worthwhile going for it. But I would now recommend 128 or even 256MB cards rather than the 64MB that served me well for so long (and Magellan still includes in the Travel Pack).

Actually that has been improved to 64MB. .......

First, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MapSend installation directory. This should be under C:\Program Files\Magellan. Open the MAPSEND.INI file using your favorite text editor. Inside this file, there is a parameter called "Conv_Memory_Size" which is the maximum region size in bytes. Multiply this number by four, and you should be able to have much larger regions. If this line does not exist, then add the following line (case sensitive) under the [Device Defaults] section:

Conv_Memory_Size=65536

Thanks for that insight. How did you find out about this?

First, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MapSend installation directory. This should be under C:\Program Files\Magellan. Open the MAPSEND.INI file using your favorite text editor. Inside this file, there is a parameter called  "Conv_Memory_Size" which is the maximum region size in bytes. Multiply this number by four, and you should be able to have much larger regions. If this line does not exist, then add the following line (case sensitive) under the [Device Defaults] section:

Conv_Memory_Size=65536

Check out the Magellan Meridian Yahoo Group

Also, DirectRoute does not allow multiple regions per file, nor routing BETWEEN two files.

So, your origin and destination have to be in one region, in one file.

That is why I put the entire state in one region.

(Since I upgraded to 256MB on the SD card, I also have my old smaller Topo files as well.)

First, using Windows Explorer, navigate to the MapSend installation directory. This should be under C:\Program Files\Magellan. Open the MAPSEND.INI file using your favorite text editor. Inside this file, there is a parameter called  "Conv_Memory_Size" which is the maximum region size in bytes. Multiply this number by four, and you should be able to have much larger regions. If this line does not exist, then add the following line (case sensitive) under the [Device Defaults] section:

Conv_Memory_Size=65536

Check out the Magellan Meridian Yahoo Group

:rolleyes: Beat me to it. Thanks Stunod!

Not to be rude (ok, maybe a bit) but since we're seeing a steady stream of the same questions repeated in different places, could those answering please focus on getting these answers written down in one place and then pointing people to the FAQs, such as those listed in my signature? Hopefully we can minimize the number of subtly incorrect answers given that way, too. It really is easier to get the answers written down correctly in one place and point people to them. Heck, we may even educate our peers in the process on the questions they were just about to ask. :rolleyes:

I'll try to add my table of map sizes for DirectRoute in the next day or two to my FAQ.

Actually, those FAQ's have been in place for months and the same questions still come up even AT the Yahoo Group hosting them. The most common answer when asked how come they didn't look there? Because it was easier to ask the question than taking the time to rtfm/rtfaq/rtwhatever.

Have you tried doing a search to see how many times these faq's have been pointed out in this forum alone? I'm not going to markwell you on it, but being a member since April last year, I've seen plenty of them and lost count. I shudder to think the number of times others with longer memberships have seen.

As an aside and not meant to point fingers, but it is a good reminder for those providing help to those seeking it...

I too got aggravated for a small while but had to realize the following maxim; No matter how well I know it and no matter the available material, newbies will always ask the same thing. As for this thread, I merely failed to provide the pointer to the faq that I quoted from. I could have given a technically correct answer by providing a markwell to a previous thread and left it at that. Correct answer, but unfriendly.

As a suggestion, if you find yourself becoming aggravated by the same question/same answer syndrome, it may be time to stay away from this particular forum for a while and come back refreshed. I did and it helps. It is a mild form of burnout.

Well, I just realized that 64 was the only popular size I didn't map (and those are a pain to make, so I'm not doing it again) but I suspect you'll be able to look at the new tables and extrapolate easily enough.

I just updated my DirectRoute page to include screen shots to help you visualize how much map data will fit in each card size. I even typed in the list of POI categories so all those people wondering if DirectRoute can help them find a Bohemian restaraunt near them can find the answer.