Temporary Caches

I have a great, fun idea for an organized, one day event. My questions are as follows:

Is it allowed to place temporary caches (for the duration of the event only) say about 6 hours. Then remove them?

If this is done, can each temporary cache be recorded as FOUND at the completion of the event?

My idea involves handing members (or teams) coordinates at the beginning of the event, along with brief descriptions and driving instructions).

This will be a very kid friendly and dog friendly event.

Last question: Is it allowed to award prizes (like official Geocaching t-shirts and decals) as well as toys for kids and treats for animals?

How much leeway is allowed? I have not really found a set of rules governing

organized caching. If I can make this work, I will post my Ideas about the event. I have a fun idea, but don't want to give too much away just yet. Thanks!

We attended an event in Tukwila this past October which was designed as a fund raiser for Special Olympics.

What they'd done there was to create caches for the event only (all very easy to find). Due to the nature of this particular event, you'd find the cache, and then go to a person who was recording the finds (we were 'awarded' tickets for each find to be used in a drawing at the end of the event). Once your find was recorded, you were then given the waypoint for the next cache.

These caches were _not_ set up or approved by GC.com, but the event was. SO, you ended up with an 'event' but not individual caches to log at the end of the day (if that makes sense.)

If you'd rather there be 'real' caches to be found, I'm sure there are ways. Wee haaaaf waaaaaays.

Maybe we can discuss this in private email if you want to noodle it a bit!

-=-

michelle

From the gc.com guidelines:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

In other words, you can place temporary caches all you want but they won't be approved on gc.com and won't count as finds on your list.

It is common to have temporary caches set up for an event. In general, the event is posted and accepted on Geocaching.com, but the temporary caches are not. They are considered part and parcel of the event. In some areas of the country, participants in the event log a find for each of the temporary caches found, but we tend to frown on that practice up here in the Northwest.

Another option is to set up the caches in such a way that they meet all of the guidelines of Geocaching.com and can stick around after the event (in other words, are not temporary). This is what the Phatboyz did with all of the caches they placed during their Stop Hunger Geo-Hunt #1.

I can easily understand the need to not clutter up the bandwidth with temporarys. Back a few years ago that sort of thing would happen but with all the action we get it wouldn't make sense any longer.

I would suggest hiding a few caches in the area and asking the mods not to approve them until the day before the event. Then of course leave those caches around.

I prefer to have all the caches at an event registered so I can download them to my GPSr.

Of course, the admins seem to disagree sometimes.

With the 6 digit waypoint name we will run out of numbers before we run out of the ability to place caches. Even if GC.com gives up the GC in front.

A one time cache or temporary cache placed with that intent exasterbates the problem. (Ignore that event caches are one time caches)