Pocket Pc Geocaching Theme

eightbit

Howdy folks.

Recently picked up a shiny new ipaq pocket pc and decided to whip up a few Today screen themes for myself. One of them is a geocaching theme with the window sticker logo that I made up a while back for us SoCal folk.

If you're interested, you can download it at www.nonsilence.com/themes.

I've been caching with an old sony clie for some time using the Pocket Query -> Gpx Spinner -> Plucker flow to get the info onto the palm. It's certainly nice to be able to go paperless and have all that info right in your pocket. However, I think i'm going to like using my new iPaq as I can just use the html files spit out of Gpx Spinner natively in Pocket IE on the iPaq. Should be fun.

Oh, and I'll get some of more of those stickers out and about soon...i've had a busy couple of months and just haven't had time for caching.

Edited by eightbit

:( Thanks, looks good on my iPaq.

But can you tell me if I can get coordinates on my iPAQ with the NAVMAN gps-receiver?

Or do I have to buy a other one. I do have a Magellan GPS Pioneer, but it can not find sats well, it allways is offline with the sats and the distance is not correct for 90 metres. :D

Please let me know if i can find caches with the iPAQ/Navman??

regards,

Lathumbeach (Yvo)

Nice work!  Just curious as to how you put this together.  Did you use the Microsoft Theme Generator or another tool?

I put together the image in photoshop and then used Themebuilder2003 to actually put it into the correct format. It's not a fancy interface like Theme Generator, but it allows me to get around the incredibly crappy microsoft dither. If you read the instructions on Themebuilder it will all make sense.

Edited by eightbit

83757_4000.jpg

my ipaq1945 has:

icbar on top: the sound icon and any config you want to st up.. the time date up top is part of icbar too.

tdlaunch - is the icon program.. you can also set the size of the icons.. don't... just leave them the original size.

i love the iPAQ1945.

i keep it in a rhinoskin aluminum fitted case... pretty f'n strong and sturdy.

GPXSonar is my choice for geocaching!!!!!

robbie

quick question, what app are you using to display the program icons on your today screen? battery pack has been getting a bit squirrely with me and i'm thinking of changing over to something else.

I think Program Bar comes with Battery Bar... or Journal Bar, I can't remember. Check your today plug-ins tab.

I also heartily recommend cLaunch, which is freeware. Just google for cLaunch, you'll find it.

quick question, what app are you using to display the program icons on your today screen?  battery pack has been getting a bit squirrely with me and i'm thinking of changing over to something else.

I think Program Bar comes with Battery Bar... or Journal Bar, I can't remember. Check your today plug-ins tab.

I also heartily recommend cLaunch, which is freeware. Just google for cLaunch, you'll find it.

Yeah, i've got program bar running, it's just getting squirrely, with the icons changing into that generic windows file icon every once in awhile.

I'm also checking out GPXSonar, it looks promising. :lol:

Looks Promising? You haven't been through it all yet then. It's got tons of ways to make your cache files manageble. The new set of docs GEO has for the latest version help a lot too. I've pretty much mastered the program and it's great for in the field work.

Between GPXSonar and Mapopolis I can't get lost. Or not find a cache. ;)

:rolleyes: I haven't been through any of it yet, and it looks like it's not gonna happen. I downloaded the GPXSonar v1.1.exe file and installed it. The install seemed to go fine, but the program won't run on my iPAQ 3950. Says a required file is missing or some other problem. I don't even get a real icon for it on the PDA, just that icon you get for a nonfunctional program. Even tried a fresh download with no luck. I'll try installing the .cab version of it, but I don't hold out much hope.
:rolleyes: I haven't been through any of it yet, and it looks like it's not gonna happen. I downloaded the GPXSonar v1.1.exe file and installed it. The install seemed to go fine, but the program won't run on my iPAQ 3950. Says a required file is missing or some other problem. I don't even get a real icon for it on the PDA, just that icon you get for a nonfunctional program. Even tried a fresh download with no luck. I'll try installing the .cab version of it, but I don't hold out much hope.

Are you running ppc 2002 or 2003?

for screen shots, i use MagicSS.

On my Today page I'm using the Battery Pack program (#1 on the Handango PPC download page, you can't miss it). It includes the batter bar program as well as the program bar program that gives me the front page icons. I was having some problems with it initially, but seem to have them all ironed out.

I want to thank eightbit for the nice screen theme, and Rosco for helping me with the screen shot program. I just bought a iPAQ 4155, and I love it, I already had a wireless router set up in the house so that my wife could be online with her laptop, so all I had to do when I got the iPAQ was click an Icon and I was online surfing the web. I've got GPXSonar, and GPXView set up for caching, now all I have to do is find a cable to connect my GPS V to it.

Thanks again

24917169.jpg

Lone Duck...

Are you running PPC 2002? If so, you need to get the PPC 2002-specific version of GPXSonar which is still 1.0 right now. I'll be releasing 1.1 for 2002 shortly though (still working a kink out).

Regards,

Fabien.

Thanks. I noticed that you have a version up noew specifically for PPC 2002. I think I'll give that one a try but I'm still a little reluctant to because it looks the other version broke my PPCNewz program (offline Usenet reader, I've even posted to alt.geocaching with it). Reinstalling that one is a chore because I have to do some manual file deletions on the PC and PPC in order to reinstall PPCNewz. And I just now got done reinstalling that newsreader and I'm downloading the messages as I'm reading here.

Lone Duck...

Just curious: how could running the wrong version of GPXSonar break some other app? :D Typically, if you attempt to start an PPC application under the wrong architecture, the OS will just pop up a message letting you know that you can't run the app and will stop there. No harm done. Since the app does not run, it can't break anything.

If you could shed some light on this mystery, I'd really appreciate it.

Regards,

Fabien.

Lone Duck ...

I'm glad that everything is working fine for you now :)

For the record, GPXSonar is a completly stand-alone app and does not share -any- files with any other applications and it does not place anything in the \Windows directory either. Everything about it is self-contained under the \GPXSonar directory. This is why I am really intrigued by this problem. Could it be a simple user error? :tongue:

Regards,

Fabien.