Should I Go For A Legend Or Vista As My Next Gpsr?

Odwolda

I have a plain yellow etrex now, just got it for Christmas and I really like it. However, even though I just got it 8 days ago I'm already wanting to upgrade...

Even though it probably won't be anytime soon, do you all think I should get a Legend or Vista next? Or anything else I guess but keep it in the low $300's or lower, please. I'm going to sell this one first most likely, but still that'll only get me $100 at most by the time I want to buy. Thanks for any help.

Oh and keep in mind one main use I'm planning to use this for is for when I go kayaking. Would it show those rivers too? Or just major rivers?

Edited by Odwolda

Guess it depends on your needs. :unsure: If you'll find the compass and altimeter helpful, then definitely go for the Vista. Or if you plan to add a lot of map data, the Vista would be better. 8MB isn't much for maps, but 24 is pretty good.

Would any of that matter for kayaking?

The Legend is a nice upgrade over the yellow IF you want to use the maps. But keep in mind the yellow Etrex is a GREAT caching tool and for geocaching it's just as good as the Legend, only w/o the basemap. One of the cachers in our area, "Spitwinkle", used a yellow Etrex on a trip to PA and he toasted those of us with Meridians, Legends, SporTraks, Map76, etc. so don't be so eager to discount the capabilities of the yellow Etrex. He was really on fire that day and probably found about 8 of the 18 caches we found that day, and there were FIVE of us. So it's not all about the equipment, it's how you use it. B)

Good luck, hope that helps, even just a little! :D

I would like to add the fact that the GPSMAP® 60C is coming out soon. While this unit will sell for about $375+, it is worth a look. Understandably it may be too much for many people. Still, there are lots of current Legend and Vista owners (and Magellan users too) who will dump their old (but good) GPSrs on eBay. Prices will plummet on these "obsolete" models which means great deals for buyers of Legends and Vistas! :unsure:

Thanks for the help, but does it seem like the 60c will be a lot better (as far as using it in geocaching)? Because if it is I'll probably go for that...

The reason I want it for kayaking is because once we got lost on the river and ended up finally getting back at around 2 am. But if the 60c will have the maps and stuff then I'm going for that. I may keep the etrex, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to afford another one without getting the money from it. Plus today it gave us some trouble in the woods (compass thing just totally locked up, wouldn't change direction no matter what we did, unless the coordinates were off. It did basically the same thing yesterday).

Thanks for the help, but does it seem like the 60c will be a lot better (as far as using it in geocaching)? Because if it is I'll probably go for that...

The reason I want it for kayaking is because once we got lost on the river and ended up finally getting back at around 2 am. But if the 60c will have the maps and stuff then I'm going for that. I may keep the etrex, but I'm not so sure I'll be able to afford another one without getting the money from it. Plus today it gave us some trouble in the woods (compass thing just totally locked up, wouldn't change direction no matter what we did, unless the coordinates were off. It did basically the same thing yesterday).

Well... it does have a special geocache mode which during navigation toward a geocache, a note or hint about the cache is readily accessible (if the cache waypoint contains such information in its comment field). This eliminates the need to print and carry the cache page. Still, it will not be any more accurate than an Etrex - just MUCH NICER ;) . Plus more memory for loading more map data for long trips, the ability to autoroute, and an external antenna jack - all in living color!

compass thing just totally locked up, wouldn't change direction no matter what we did, unless the coordinates were off. It did basically the same thing yesterday

Quite normal for ANY GPS unit that doesn't have a magnetic compass. If the unit doesn't have a magnetic compass, it's dependent on receiving the GPS signal to figure out what direction you are going.

I don't care what unit you have. A forrest WILL give you signal reception problems. Some units do better then others, and I suspect some forrest are better then others, but I don't think there is any such think as "forrest proof".

Vista = around 100 dollars more for 16 more meg of memory, a magnetic compass, and a altmeter vs the legend. Then if you need detailed maps, throw in another 80 bucks for the mapping software. So a Vista with mapping software will run around 350-400 dollars. The accuracy in the woods will be identical to the etrex yellow. The etrex yellow also has a trackback feature which does work pretty well, just no bells and whistles to it. So you won't get lost kayaking if you use the yellow properly.

For geocaching, the Vista is overkill in my opinion. The Legend is at most you need for geocaching.

Now the Yellow vs the Legend. For around 90 dollars more, you get a much better display, more options, 5x more detailed display, base map, clickstick (some people consider that a negative), and the serial data cable (which cost around 30 bucks for the yellow).

As far as the new Garmin 60 series color units, I like to read some reviews from normal geocachers.

I just bought the Legend and own the Yellow also. I like a lot but just didn't see spending 100 bucks more for a compass that I can buy for 10 bucks and an altmeter that will only give me a few feet more accuracy.

In any case, buy what you think you need and HAVE FUN!!!!

Hmmm...well, just got back from another quick hunt. I'm kinda worried because, we found the cache but when I held the etrex up where the cache was it said I had 253 feet to go east. I don't call that "accurate" ;) . I just want something accurate (at least down to a small radius), a compass that works well (with an arrow that points where you need to go, like on the normal etrex), and a basemap that lists the things like rivers and possibly trails for my kayaking. IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK FOR?!?! Bah!

I'm kinda worried because, we found the cache but when I held the etrex up where the cache was it said I had 253 feet to go east.

I don't call that "accurate" ;) . I just want something accurate (at least down to a small radius), a compass that works well (with an arrow that points where you need to go, like on the normal etrex), and a basemap that lists the things like rivers and possibly trails for my kayaking. IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK FOR?!?! Bah!

One word of warning - money doesn't buy you accuracy. While there are a few exceptions, by in large, money only buys you features - not accuracy. That unit you have is not that much worse the the best unit available.

Now that said, I would highly recommend you spend more time with your unit. Learn to read the satellite page and about leaving it on long enough to get a really good lock. Learn the limitations of GPS and how to minimize the problems. I'd also suggest you get rechargeable batteries. That way you won't care about leaving the unit on so it can download the information it needs to get better accuracy.

Now 253 feet off is a very large error. The question is, whose error? Yours or the cache owners?

I just want something accurate (at least down to a small radius), a compass that works well (with an arrow that points where you need to go, like on the normal etrex), and a basemap that lists the things like rivers and possibly trails for my kayaking. IS THIS SO MUCH TO ASK FOR?!?! Bah!

Now that can be fixed with a better unit. Get one with mapping features and a magnetic compass.

I have an etrex legend and a map 76 and love both them. I have checked out the yellow of a friend and can't imagine using it after using the legend first. I use mine a lot for traveling and love the built in base maps. The map 76 has the same basic software with a few more perks and a bigger screen with BIGGER letters and is easier to read. And for kayaking....it floats. The legend does not I can say for sure because that is how I lost my first legend! ;) This is direct from the Garmin web site:

"An extra-large display measuring 1.6"W x 2.2"H gives users a clear view of information, while a waterproof case means the GPSMAP 76 will keep working well even if it's been submerged in water. Even more amazing, this unit will actually float if accidentally dropped in the water."

I think just about everyone has summed it up.... depends on the features you want! The Legend is a great piece of equipment, I own one. However, I just got into the mapping stuff and 8MB is pretty lean when it comes to loading maps!

If I were to go caching on a trip, I would be forced to take my laptop and load maps for the areas I want to go. Not enough memory to load "any" possible area along my route (unless its a small route). Ran into this problem a week ago when I planned on relying on my GPS to help me find a place, only to find out my maps quit about 2-3 miles before my destination!

So, in summary: if you think you will want to buy MapSource, and Topo Maps for uses other than caching.... get the VISTA or 60c. If your happy without a lot of maps, then the Yellow, or the Legend is perfect for you.

As someone else mentioned, get some rechargables for your GPS (NiMH), and put your GPSr outside and let it collect the Almanac data... in fact, do that as you tour around your area driving and such. You will get better accuracy after it has some time to "aclimate".

Bozz

I own 2 etrex and other makes and models of GPS's the Etrex series are my least favorite in the woods near trees. they just wont get a satellite lock in the tree canopy. Get a larger unit from either Garmin or Magellan. I like the MAp76S or Garmin GPS V, Or in Magellan get a Meridian Platinum or Gold. You wont regret it.

Unless you get a small unit, that does not pick up good in the woods. The etrex built in antenna is just to small for good reception.

Edited by RockyRiver
Thanks for all the help, I'm going for the 60c. It does have a magnetic compass, right? Right?!

NO. The 60CS has the magnetic compass and altimeter, not the 60C. Check out garmin.com for complete features of both units. The CS however, is not out yet and won't be for another few months.

Alan

Hmmm...well, just got back from another quick hunt. I'm kinda worried because, we found the cache but when I held the etrex up where the cache was it said I had 253 feet to go east. I don't call that "accurate"

How were you able to find the cache quickly if it was 235 feet off? Hummm.......

Again, all Etrex units will be just as accurate or inaccurate in your case. As many people as said, price does not buy accuracy. WAAS will help you in open areas but not geocaching as a rule unless the cache is completely in the open.