Cachemate Vs Cachedragon

treemoss2

I need to go paperless for all it offers.

Looks like Cachemate and Cachedragon are out there. $7 and $20.

So what's the difference?

I see people seem to like Cachedragon. or at least there are more posts regarding that program.

While I am in this question mode - what is a GPX file? What does that stand for?

Thanks

I need to go paperless for all it offers.

Looks like Cachemate and Cachedragon are out there. $7 and $20.

So what's the difference?

I see people seem to like Cachedragon. or at least there are more posts regarding that program.

While I am in this question mode - what is a GPX file? What does that stand for?

You might want to read the threads about Cachedragon. You will have only one choice after that. And it WON'T be Cachedragon!

A GPX file (GPS eXchange Format) is a format of waypoints you get from GC.com that allows you to make queries of any type of cache you want to get. You have to be a premium member of GC.com to be able to get them.

As for Cachemate I've had no experience with it sorry.

Take a look at my tag line. There are other programs but the software I use with my hardware is as paperless as you can get <_<

Hope that helps....

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

It does depend on what you want the software to do as the two are not directly comparable. It also depends on what sort of PDA you have as Cachemate runs on Palms, and Cachedragon only runs on PPC.

Other factors are that Cachedragon is known to have serious bugs and is no longer in development so they probably will not be fixed.

On the other hand, Cachemate is extremly well supported with suggested additions and bug fixes often delivered the same day they are asked for.

Edited by Learned Gerbil

I have to add my $00.02 worth as well and vote for Cachemate. No, it's not freeware, but it is inexpensive, updates are free, and suggestions well received. It's also self-contained, as was mentioned above. It has all the features needed for paperless caching, as well as ease of use. I have found Spinner to be a little particular about platforms, as well somewhat more cumbersome to use. The cache pages that it produces also tend to eat up a lot more of your PDA memory than Cachemate ones...

I've found Cachemate to be incredibly easy to use and also as each update comes out more and more powerful of a little program. $7.00 is a very minimal fee for such a good program.

I just got an iQue for xmas and the Export to Map from Cachemate is awesome. It's just made my caching soo much easier.

Maybe i'm the only one, but i like those "silly" waypoint names that gc.com comes up with.  It's nice to have a direct link from the waypoints on my gps to the website.  If i need to look at a cache page, i just type in the gc.com waypoint.  Anyways, just wanted to say that! :unsure:

Thats fine if you are using a PDA GPS like an Ipaq but if your only talking going paperless then thats diffrent. Spinner does the WHOLE job. One move makes every cachepage into a Internet explorer webpage as well as a file you can put in your GPSr w/meaningful waypoints.

If you have a treo of some other combo phone/PDA dialing up web pages can work, but if you really want to do some serious caching in a day use a PDA spinner Gpx and Garmin V combo. We have done 30-50 caches a day many many times. Also the new GPX Sonar for 2003 is a pretty good option.

As to your title question though. A previous poster said the main diff in the 2 you specified is really a question of Palm or Pocket PC. I agree that is the main point with those 2 programs.

Edited by Ish-n-Isha

Thanks for all the help. I guess cachemate looks like best for me, especially since I have a pda.

I already know how to get a web page into my pda (Sony J22). I'd like to know what I can expect for download times per geocache queries and cachemate.

I have a dial up connection and it takes a bit of time to load a webpage into my pda to only the 1st level. It I go any deeper it is waaaay to long.

Is that what I should expect? If so, then I think going paperless would be more bother than printouts.

I am going to try this anyway but at least I'll know what to expect when I try to get it into my pda.

I have both programs and both type of PDA operating systems (Sony NX80 and iPaq 2215). I RARELY use Cachedragon, frequently use Cachemate and usually cache right off the Mapopolis screen on the iPaq. If I could share the bluetooth connection on my GPS, I'd probably run both simultaneously, but alas...

Tremoss, You'll want to go with the premium($$) membership here to get the gpx file emailed to you. All configurable and after downloading them, the remaining conversion stuff is on your PC side. Lots of threads on this as well. Search for spinner, plucker, cachemate, etc.

I'd like to know what I can expect for download times per geocache queries and cachemate.

I have a dial up connection and it takes a bit of time to load a webpage into my pda to only the 1st level. It I go any deeper it is waaaay to long.

CacheMate uses a GPX file that has to be emailed to you. I recommend that you have it zipped both to shorten download time and to prevent corruption during the email process. I think you'll find that download time is not a concern with CacheMate. I do remember my one and only venture into webpage snatching was horribly slow.

Edited by GeckoGeek
[CacheMate uses a GPX file that has to be emailed to you.

Might want to read the info on GC.com before e-mailing any gpx files to anyone.

The only way to get a GPX file is to become a paid member of CG and have it emailed to you as a Pocket Query. You can't download it. Nothing wrong with that.

It think you were hinting at the fact it's against the terms of service to share a CG derived GPX file with anyone else. I was not suggesting that, but thanks for the reminder.

Edited by GeckoGeek

I will add my .02 worth....

Decided to try getting all the cache data into my Palm, because I found it to be a pain when the family said "Lets go Geocaching", and ole' Dad wasn't prepared with the printouts. So.....

Tried Cachemate, had a question about it, emailed for support -- got a response in under an HOUR (late at night too), with a complete thorough explaination of what I was doing wrong and how to fix it. I did it, and then bought the program a few days later.

Well written, friendly, and good support. Everything I look for in software!

Bozz