Etrex Legend For Sale

Trialsrider

Unit is about a year or so old and works well. I have Mapsource for US and Canada and will load in detailed maps for the area the buyer wants. I will pay shipping. First $125 takes it. You can contact me at jrpercoski@charter.net. I will send a picture to you of the unit locked on satelites. I am selling it because I got a new Vista .

What does the seller say? Does he claim it worked fine when he shipped it, and you must of damaged it? Does he claim he knew it was acting up or damaged before he sold it to you without disclosing the fact first? Does he wish to try and make it good? Give us more details on this.. If he did sale a defective GPS knowingly to you, he needs to be Black Balled from the fourms, because his type is not welcome here. If he sold it ,and then it broke I guess it is beyond his control, however he should of given you some sort of option besides saying send it to Garmin to have it fixed.

Edited by RockyRiver

To set the record straight, Ed only wanted to pay $100 instead of the $125 that I had asked. I did agree to this and also paid the shipping costs. I loaded in about 8 MB of maps of his choosing before I sent it and also updated it to the latest software from Garmin. The unit worked fine when I sent it and I inclosed a picture of the unit taken on 12/28/03 showing it locked on sattelites and the display working fine. Ed did send me an email saying he noticed lines on the display, something I had not seen before, I suggested he contact Garmin and let me know what they said. He never did that. I might have been willing at that point to work something out, but he just posted in this forum running me down, very rude I thought. If you check his profile and look at some of his cache pics you will see he has his older Etrex fastened to his dog's collar, not the best way to use a GPS. I believe it is something as simple as a loose connection, that's why I suggested he contact Garmin.

To set the record straight, Ed only wanted to pay $100 instead of the $125 that I had asked. I did agree to this and also paid the shipping costs. I loaded in about 8 MB of maps of his choosing before I sent it and also updated it to the latest software from Garmin. The unit worked fine when I sent it and I inclosed a picture of the unit taken on 12/28/03 showing it locked on sattelites and the display working fine. Ed did send me an email saying he noticed lines on the display, something I had not seen before, I suggested he contact Garmin and let me know what they said. He never did that. I might have been willing at that point to work something out, but he just posted in this forum running me down, very rude I thought. If you check his profile and look at some of his cache pics you will see he has his older Etrex fastened to his dog's collar, not the best way to use a GPS. I believe it is something as simple as a loose connection, that's why I suggested he contact Garmin.

After hearing both sides I would have to say that its a draw. I could not say either man is right or wrong. Its just a sad incident and a coincidence it broke after being sold.

I bought the unit off a guy on the internet. You get what you pay for. The fault is mine for trusting someone at his word.

Regarding the picture of my dog: The gps unit was put around my dog's neck for the picture (a requirement for all reverse caches. the gps must be visable). If you look at the cache log, and not just the picture, you will see it's for an atrisian well reverse cache Artesian Well *Virtual* . Like I cache with the GPSr unit around my dogs neck...

I initially contacted him and stated the unit had display problems within days of recieving it, and he just said "contact Garmin"...not "Sorry, I'll refund your money" or "Sorry, send it back to me". Just "Contact Garmin to get it repaired". Thats a deal (NOT!)l. $100 for a POS unit + $100 to get it repaired. The unit lasted all of 4 caches, and is now completly unusable.

No matter if the unit has a "loose wire" or is completly dead, Garmin charges a flat fee to fix out of warranty units.

I'm chalking the whole experence up as a learning experence. Buyer beware. Always ask questions first (do you guarantee they unit? does it come from a heavy smokers home? Will you make it good if it doesn't work?).

Ed

I know someone who has a good gps for sale. Non-smoker too. However, the seller is a gay black woman. Does that pose a problem?

I just don't see what the problem is if the person who sells an item is a smoker or a drinker or stinker or a thinker or a tinker as long as they are not a dinker.

The 'lines in display' is a pretty well-known weakness with some eTrex units and Garmin has been known to cover units even when they are past the nominal warranty period (although probably only for original owners). The problem is caused by a bad connection on the cable connecting the main board to the display so it's certainly possible that this came loose due to handling during shipment to the buyer.

Seems like the buyer and seller should get in touch and also call Garmin to see if something can be worked out, such as shipping unit and original sales slip to Garmin and then having the seller send the repaired unit back to the buyer. That's provided that Garmin will agree to a post-warranty period free repair.

There have also been discussions in this forum and on sci.geo.satellite-nav on how to proceed with a DIY repair of the connector problem.

I know someone who has a good gps for sale. Non-smoker too. However, the seller is a gay black woman. Does that pose a problem?

I just don't see what the problem is if the person who sells an item is a smoker or a drinker or stinker or a thinker or a tinker as long as they are not a dinker.

It may pose a problem, if the GPS smells like a**. What if the GPS was for a young child? That would suck if the parents got a GPS for him, and it stunk like cigarette smoke. Personally, I wouldn't mind too much, but, I would like to know before I bought it.

As for the gay black woman, hell, some of my best friends are gay black women... :P

When your a smoker you dont smell the "stink" when your a non smoker its not pleasent nor nice to have around things that smell of a person that smokes.

As for the Gay black female comment ,I think your just drifting off base from the topic alot to try and say that maybe we are or should I say the buyer was being rude or a smoker basher to all smokers and that was not the case. What is a smell you find offensive? And you had to smell it all the time, Wound'nt be nice would it?

Do you smoke?