Disabled Caches

:o Came home tonight to log a cache whose coordinates I have been carrying around for a couple weeks. I found the cache, dropped in a travelbug, and signed the log! When I pulled the cache up, it had been disabled as missing. I have emailed the owners letting them know it is still here and I found it, but am worried about the travelbug entrusted to me. There was two entries of DNF but don't think the owner actually checked the cache before retiring it. PLEASE physically check a cache before disabling or archiving. PLEASE check a cache if two or more DNF's. I will be going back to pick up the Travelbug at sunrise for I feel responsible for it's safety. And yes I could have verified the cache was current, but remember that I actually found the cache. Thanks to all for your help and understanding. By the way, the date this was recorded as dead and gone was 6 days ago.

Yes, but archived cache will not show up in a normal search (which is why Sparky couldn't find it). Since you already had the cache page printed out, you were able to search by waypoint ID (GCxxxx). Not all archived caches are picked up by the cache owner. This is apparant in your case, the owner just believed the DNF reports and archived the cache without verifying it for themselves. Maybe they meant to hit the temporarily disable button instead of archive, but that's how it looks from my side of the computer.

Clarification of terminology: The cache being discussed in this thread has been archived by its owner. Archiving is permanent. To unarchive a cache, the owner needs to write to their regional volunteer cache reviewer, or to the general contact address for geocaching.com. A link to the cache page or giving the GC number is helpful.

A disabled cache is one which is made temporarily unavailable, in situations where the owner expects that the cache will return to active status in the future. It would appear that this is what the owner ought to have done here. In other words, SaxMan is using the correct terminology in his post.

But that is one of the things I do not understand. How could I post to a closed cache???

Disabling or archiving a cache does not remove the option to post any type of log to the cache. If you have the cache ID# (GCxxxx) you can get to the cache page and post whatever you want. If the owner is still active, they might delete your find or email you and ask you where you found it.

It depends on whether it was a permanently archived or temporarily archived cache right? BTW with those coords given you run the search, click the show archived caches option on the geocaching.com map screen, click the identify option for the nearest 20 caches and voila you have access to the cache. Then once you have access to the cache page you can post anything you want to it right? I may be wrong on everything I just said but... ehhh... :o

It has happens sometimes here in Sweden that caches has been archived, but suddenly someone else finds it after a couple of months, then it gets active again. Sometimes has even the cache owner been looking for it and not found it (!)...

But I think that the main reason might be that people sometimes don't put back the cache in the same spot they found it at. So instead of being underneath a big boulder are it behind a stone in a stone wall nearby the boulder... You get the pic?