Magnetic North

Dan-oh

rooster_sm.jpg

I set up a new Christmas weathervane for my wife today. Figured I might as well get the north arrow right so I got my standard compass. I knew the metal roof would throw it off, but not THAT much.

Hmm.

Lemme step down from the ladder.

Even worse?!

Let me set down this screwdriver...

...this magnetized screwdriver...

doh!

UH.....isn't the arrow supposed to point what direction the wind is blowing and the n,s,e,w fixed in place to show the direction?

Judging how the sun is shining on the face of the west and east vanes, and the north vane is facing away from the sun, I would say he took the picture at approximately 10:00 AM with a light NE wind blowing and he must live in the southern US because the roses are blooming. And yes, he put it up correctly. But other than that, I don't get it. :unsure:

Edited by Navdog
UH.....isn't the arrow supposed to point what direction the wind is blowing and the n,s,e,w fixed in place to show the direction?

Judging how the sun is shining on the face of the west and east vanes, and the north vane is facing away from the sun, I would say he took the picture at approximately 10:00 AM with a light NE wind blowing and he must live in the southern US because the roses are blooming. And yes, he put it up correctly. But other than that, I don't get it. :unsure:

Yes, those are good deductions, I checked his profile and he lives in San Diego. I thought with the 'north arrow' comment that HE thought the arrow should point to magnetic north, not show wind direction, thus my 1st post. It does appear it was put up correctly, as long as the N is pointing north of course. How do you figure 10am? Just wondering.

Then again, maybe he's making a little holiday humor, in which case.....

DOH!

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
UH.....isn't the arrow supposed to point what direction the wind is blowing and the n,s,e,w fixed in place to show the direction? :unsure:

Yeah, the brass NSEW cross is adjustable and you need to orient the N to point north, thus the compass.

I thought the pointing arrow is what made the wind blow a certain direction, similar to those windmills that make it so dang windy! Well, thats what I try to convince my kids of anyway.

BTW, its southwest, as in California. Great that it stopped raining today.

Not if 180 degrees makes any difference to you. This arrow looks like it would point where the wind is coming from, not where it's blowing to.

Not if 180 degrees makes any difference to you. This arrow looks like it would point where the wind is coming from, not where it's blowing to.

Yep, your'e right, it was actually a SW wind that morning. But, it's really depressing seeing roses blooming in December, at least if you live in the Northwest.