Concerns About Merigold Being Waterproof

Phideo

I just recently bought a Meridian Gold. I'm happy with the performance of the unit, however the battery lid doesn't appear to fit very well. If I hold the unit up against the light I can see right through the battery lid. This concerns me because Megellan says this unit is supposed to be waterproof. Yea right! Is anyone else finding this to be the case or is it my model only?

This is what the Garmin website has to say about WaterProof

Most Garmin GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX7 designation is given to all eTrex models. While the case of the GPS unit is waterproof, the battery compartment is not. Upon exposure to the elements, water may leak into the battery compartment and could cause corrosion of the batteries, as with any electronic devise. If water does enter the battery compartment, simply dry the battery compartment thoroughly and install new batteries.

I would say that WaterProof is a bit of advertising lingo. Water Resistant is more like it.

If you're really worried about GPS getting wet there are a lot of places tht make water proof holders. They are used by people that have canoes, kayaks and the like.

I hope that helps ease your mind.

P.S.

The Magellan site is pretty tough to search on. That's why I went to the Garmin site for this info.

Edited by Harrald
If I hold the unit up against the light I can see right through the battery lid

all the way along the lid or only part way?

the battery compartment itself is protected by a waterproofing gasket but this gasket is not the same size as the battery cover. thus one can see through the gap between the battery cover and the gps but not where the battery compartment itself is located.

is yours different than this?

Vlad If I hold mine up against a light source horizontally (thin ways) I can see light the whole length of the battery compartment. In other words "above the battery itself - not merely the edges"

I mean if I were to drop this thing in water for a second the whole compartment would be soaked for sure. Hell, I'm afraid to drop the unit anywhere I hike in fear of dirt getting in there. I spent around $400 (bundle) to get this unit I definately feel it should be better than this. Now the unit has chosen to periodically turn itself off (always when I need it most) and I'm starting to think its related somehow. Maybe I got a defective unit or something, but I shudder to think of the return hassels as it was an online purchase and not from magellan.

Thanks to all that replied BTW.

This is normal and if you look where the seal is around the battery compartment you will understand that if the closure where flush then the compartment would leak. It is because the gasket which provides the seal is left proud that the back remains a little raised, it is obvious when the back is correctly fitted as the whole of the unit aligns. The Meridian range meets exactly the same waterproof testing as the Garmins.

Just so you know - eleven months ago, my MeriPlat took a dunking in a river with me along with another electronic gadget, my digital camera. Of the two, the MeriPlat withstood the test of being waterproof. My camera took a week to dry out and be usable again.

Because of the lift on the lid against the gasket, I have known others dunk it into a large container of water for just less than 30 minutes with no ill effects.

On the other hand, largely due to quality control issues, there were some units that did leak. They were promptly replaced under warranty by Magellan. One I know of was replaced even though the mishap was one month past warranty.

So...

1. I wouldn't be overly worried about the unit not being waterproof, and

2. If it does leak, Magellan is good on their warranty and will provide extra equipment for your trouble.

This is what the Garmin website has to say about WaterProof

Most Garmin GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX7 designation is given to all eTrex models. While the case of the GPS unit is waterproof, the battery compartment is not. Upon exposure to the elements, water may leak into the battery compartment and could cause corrosion of the batteries, as with any electronic devise. If water does enter the battery compartment, simply dry the battery compartment thoroughly and install new batteries.

I would say that WaterProof is a bit of advertising lingo. Water Resistant is more like it.

If you're really worried about GPS getting wet there are a lot of places tht make water proof holders. They are used by people that have canoes, kayaks and the like.

I hope that helps ease your mind.

P.S.

The Magellan site is pretty tough to search on. That's why I went to the Garmin site for this info.

The trouble with Garmin, is they split hairs on what is waterproof and what is not. Thus, some of their units are not truly IPx7 if the battery compartment isn't protected in the same manner.

Magellan not only boasts of IPX7 compliance, but their design allows for it to float, partly due to the captured air as well as displacement of water to weight ratio.

To get a grasp of what IPx7 really means to you and should mean to manufacturers whom claim compliance, you need to read the below graduated levels against water breach that these standards reference:

MIL-STD 810 Immersion Standard, Military Specification equipment

MIL-STD 810 Blowing Rain, Military Specification equipment

JIS 2-8 Japanese Water Protection Specs similar to IEC529

CFR Title 46 Part 110.15 Aircraft Civilian specifications

IEC 529 European (ECC) water protection specifications

Of these, only IEC 529 (European Community Specification) and JIS2-8 (Japanese Industry Standard) have graduated test levels. These two specifications are very similar, but IEC 529 is gaining more acceptance in Europe which is a major market for many US manufacturers and is more defined in terms of the actual test. The table below gives a summary of the requirements for IEC 529 for WATER PROTECTION PROVISIONS.

Test Level Definition

0 Non protected, No special protection

1 Protected against falling water Equivalent to 3-5mm rainfall per minute for a duration of 10 minutes. Unit is placed in its normal operating position.

2 Protected against falling water when tilted up to 15 degrees. Same as (1) above but unit is tested in 4 fixed positions - tilted 15 degree in each direction from normal operating position.

3 Protected against spraying water, Water spraying up to 60 degrees from vertical at 10 liters/min at a gage pressure of 80-100kN/m2 for 5 min.

4 Protected against splashing water. Same as level 3 but water is sprayed at all angles.

5 Protected against water jets. Water projected at all angles through a 6.3mm nozzle at a flow rate of 12.5 liters/min at a gage pressure of 30kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

6 Protected against heavy seas. Water projected at all angles through a 12.5mm nozzle at a flow rate of 100 liters/min at a gage pressure of 100kN/m2 for 3 minutes from a distance of 3 meters.

7 Protected against water immersion. Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

8 Protected against water submersion The equipment is suitable for continuos submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

IEC 529 level 7 is designated "IPX7" and is equivalent to JIS 7. The position of "X" being left blank indicates that the unit has no special mechanical protection.

For clarity, the X in IPX7 has its own classifications related to dust and particles. So, for IP67, the definition is as follows:

[Total protection of persons from touching voltage-carrying or internal moving parts. Protection of the object from access of dust. If the object is dipped into water (0.15-1m) under the defined conditions of pressure and time, water must not enter it in any harmful quantity.

A great reference to get past general misconceptions is:

http://www.okw.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/Protect.pdf