Links Clearinghouse

Patuxent Pirates

Hey..... has it ever been suggested or discussed that it would be great to have a "cachers links" area somewhere here or on the GC site that (after they were approved of course) would give cachers links to good deals on equipment, etc. OR that's probably too much to try and maintain, huh.

It was just a though since I had such a difficult time finding a plastic caching box that was acceptable. I ended up going to Bass Pro Shops, taking an catalog out of a hunters shell box, going to the web site for that manufacturer and ordering a dry box from a vendor listed on that web site.

:ph34r:

I think that's a great idea. I just spent hours on line searching for surplus ammo boxes. Of course, the shipping is what kills, so I'm going to have to poke around locally and see what I can find.

I didn't find any water-tight plastic containers however, other than a couple plastic ammo boxes that were too large for my purposes.

I personally would really appreciate a place where members could trade notes on where they've found good deals on goodies needed for geocaching.

There's been suggestions from time to time to have a separate forum for "Gear", similar to the GPS Units and Software Forum. In such a forum, we would collect all the discussions about ammo boxes and other cache containers, what to put in your backpack, which is the best Camelbak, good deals on trekking poles, etc.

Personally (as a moderator and as a geocacher) I would be in favor of such a forum, as people interested in researching an item would be able to narrow down their search and fewer duplicate threads would be started. At the same time, I recognize that there is a long long list of forums on the index page and perhaps a desire on Jeremy's part to keep that list from growing even further. Finally, care would need to be taken to keep such a forum from turning into a free advertising bulletin board.

Yeah, its just so hard finding the right equipment sometimes. Finding that good source on the web is often a grand hunt in itself. So many different places to find solutions and I have found that not everything is up to meeting the requirements of geocaching. Well, maybe we'll end up with a links page some day...................

:(

SoMDCacherz,

CacheGear.com was set up with some of this in mind. There are some things in the works so hopefully sometime first quarter we can get a lot of that rolling. Just need some more participation from people when the find cool stuff and cool prices to let us know and we'll post it.

:(