Mapsource Update?

leatherman

Ok. So does 3.02 refer to the interface or the TOPO data? I know when I was searching for TOPO on the internet many were referred to as new version 3.11.

I downloaded the update for my Rino too. The instructions say to put the unit in "simulator mode" and to refer to your manual for instructions. The only reference to "simulation" I found was for the Demo mode.

The Garmin site sucks! Nothing is intuitive. Like your supposed to know what to do. Through osmosis or something.

3.02 would be the TOPO data release.

To find out your release data, start up MapSource. Under the Help menu, click on About MapSource. The pop-up will show the MapSource release (the latest is 5.4). Click on the Product Info button, and it will show you the version info for the map data.

New MapSource releases are always backwards compatible with the map files, so you can upgrade MapSource without having to buy new map files. Of course, all you're getting are the enhancements to the interface, not new maps.

Ok. So does 3.02 refer to the interface or the TOPO data? I know when I was searching for TOPO on the internet many were referred to as new version 3.11.

3.11 is the version of the TOPO product you have. It probably contains version 3.11 of the MapSource program. The MapSource program is currently at 5.x and it will work with your TOPO product (or at least it does with mine). I have the following products all running from the same version of MapSource: MetroGuide 4.x, Topo, Canada Roads and Rec, European Roads and Rec. I can pop between the various maps without restarting the program.

I downloaded the update for my Rino too. The instructions say to put the unit in "simulator mode" and to refer to your manual for instructions. The only reference to "simulation" I found was for the Demo mode.

I don't have a Rino, so I can't comment on it specifically, but I have an eTrex, an eMap, and the StreetPilot III. The updater for all of those units say to connect the unit to an available serial port, turn it on, and press the "connect" button. I've never had this process fail in probably 20 updates. I wouldn't attempt to update your Rino until you are absolutely certain what you are doing, though. Failing to properly flash a device like a GPS or a PDA is almost certain to guarantee a return trip to the factory to get re-flashed.

The Garmin site sucks! Nothing is intuitive. Like your supposed to know what to do. Through osmosis or something.

I don't see it as any worse than any other corporate site. There certainly are some peculiarities, but then again I've been going there for a couple of years so I know where I'm headed.

Good luck. I hope your Garmin experience gets better.

-E

Yes, Demo mode is the same as "simulator mode". I have a Rino and actually called them before I did my first update to be sure.

Thanks, but when I unzipped the firmware update it didn't say anything about simulator or demo. So I just ran it. No troubles, thank God.

As for the "Basemap Patch" that is the problem I have with the site.

The word Basemap suggests firmware device basemap. The word "patch" could be used for software or firmware. It refers to TOPO specifically, however when you read the description it loosely suggests that it is a Mapsource patch for viewing TOPO maps in a certain region.

Is Garmin based in a different country? Do they have a hard time with english?

The patch could have been one sentence. "Mapsource patch, correcting TOPO map viewing for a region in Wisconsin."

As for the "Basemap Patch" that is the problem I have with the site.

The word Basemap suggests firmware device basemap. The word "patch" could be used for software or firmware. It refers to TOPO specifically, however when you read the description it loosely suggests that it is a Mapsource patch for viewing TOPO maps in a certain region.

Is Garmin based in a different country? Do they have a hard time with english?

The patch could have been one sentence. "Mapsource patch, correcting TOPO map viewing for a region in Wisconsin."

It's seemed pretty simple to me. It's obviously not a firmware patch, because it's on a page for the MapSource product. It specifically states (not '"loosely suggests") that:

This patch is only applicable for all versions of the MapSource United States TOPO product.

Seems pretty obvious that it's not any kind of GPS firmware patch. However, I fully support and defend your inalienable right to be confused. :D