Using Boats

Squonkpups

The term that is gaining in popularity for caches requiring watercraft to find is "Hydrocache". I wouldn't consider a cache on a large island like HI to be a hydro, because it's a state unto itself. But caches on small islands that can be reached in personal watercraft (canoe, kayak, jet ski, pirogue, etc.) would be hydrocaches, in my opinion. Remember to make the terrain dificulty five stars if you place one, since a boat is considered special equipment.

Better yet...

Use a boat with no Island involved, a small bouy that is not a hinderance to navigation could work.

Captn Pea

Just make sure its a privately owned navigational aid, like a little bouy put out by a private marina :ph34r: ...as government placed navigational aids do get moved around from time to time, some get removed in the winter, and its illegal to tamper withany of them.

Can cashe's be put on islands requiring the use of a boat?

Yes. It typically deserves a terrain rating of 5 because a boat is special equipment for a lot of us.

Island caches don't get as many visits for this reason. They're fun, but if you're looking for lots of traffic for your cache, this isn't the way to go.

George

How would one go about rating a cache placed on an island in a river which is completely accessible in the winter (as the water is frozen) but is completely inaccessible except by boat any other time of the year?

I would edit the cache and change its rating in winter and summer, and note as much in the description. And hope nobody attempted it during thaw!

How would one go about rating a cache placed on an island in a river which is completely accessible in the winter (as the water is frozen) but is completely inaccessible except by boat any other time of the year?

I'd stay with 5 stars. I use the worst conditions that a person is likely to encounter to rate my caches. I have one that is in a floodplain. It's 4 stars because it can involved number of water crossings, lots of mud, thorns and poison ivy and in the worst case, wading through waist deep water to get to it. In most seasons it's a tough walk, but after an extended drought, it can be reasonably easy to reach. Instead of varying the terrain rating with each season, I leave it at 4 stars and mention on the page that the difficulty can vary with the seasons and weather.

Edited by briansnat