Garmin Ique 3600

People have, and there are old posts about it.

It is not safe to cache with the unit, it is NOT an outdoor GPS, but a Vehicle Navigator and PDA rolled into one.

Good point. I remember one of the first reviews I read on the iQue complained that the unit got trashed after drawing moisture while in a napsack while the reviewer was camping.

That kind of shyed me away from it.

Huh? Not good outdoors? What's up with that? I use mine all the time outside and I don't have any concerns. Sure, it's not waterproof, but how much rain do you get when you're out 'searching'?

Plenty, unless you cache only on sunny days. We spent a day hunting caches in a downpour, logged 18 finds that day. Was a lot of fun, believe it or not, and with the right outerwear, you can stay quite dry. :D

I went back to Markwell myself on the article I had posted a few months ago about the iQue, but it was no longer available at that link. So here it is in another location.

Between the battery life and the problems with the screen I definitely wouldn't take it on a cache hunt. However, that doesn't mean I don't secretly envy you for having one! :D

Bret

I went back to Markwell myself on the article I had posted a few months ago about the iQue, but it was no longer available at that link. So here it is in another location.

Between the battery life and the problems with the screen I definitely wouldn't take it on a cache hunt. However, that doesn't mean I don't secretly envy you for having one! :D

Bret

I don't have one, was just considering getting one to try to go paperless. After reading that article, and several others i think i will stick with my GPS V. It is an outstanding unit for geocaching. Works great for me! I just can't figure out what kind and if i should get a stand alone palm or ppc, so i can go paperless. I'm not going to spend $200 or more on a regular palm, that may get wet and fry out on me. Not sure what to do. There is another thread on here about paperless caching and the equipment some people use, still confused though.

You can probably get a decent used Palm (IIIxe or Vx, something like that) for $50.00 or so. It would be more than enough Palm for you to go paperless with.

As for how to do it, I get a lot of good response to my tutorial that you'll find here. A big thank you to everyone who uses and promotes it! :D

Bret

I find my iQue excellent for geocaching - as long as I can use my Vista when I leave the car for the final assault to the cache location.

But the iQue routes to the nearest parking place. The Vista will not.

At home, the iQue reminds me of appointments and important things to do. The Vista will not.

At work, the iQue runs Excel, which allows me to do calculations while moving around our machinery, without having to use a PC for that. The Vista will most certainly not do that.

Due to their ability to share maps, the iQue (used as a Palm and a car navigator, period) and another mapping Garmin GPS receiver (e.g. Vista, 76S) are a terrific combination. These two in combination easily outclasses the new 60CS, assuming you don't mind having two units.