Garmin Ique 3600

Gil52

Hello Folks,

I am completely new to Geocaching and I would like some help here if possilbe.

I have recently purchased a Garmin Ique 3600 Palm Pilot/ GPS combination and have downloaded GeoNIche into it but cannot seem to get it to activate.

I guess my questions are:

Has anybody out there used the Garmin Ique for geocaching

and what sofware are you using if not GeoNIche.

Until I can get my unit to work with Geoniche or whatever I have not started on first hunt yet.

Many thanks in advance

Gilbert Nelson

Not an expert on the subject but noticed no one was answering your question. I to have the iQue 3600 but only plan on using it to bring me to the parking lot. Then I will use my 76S or MAP 330 to find the cache. The iQue is not the best for Geocaching but can be used as a "stand alone" device. Put it on "off road" and practice going to a spot in your lawn or in a park. Watch the distance on the top of the map and get it down to as low as possible and then look for the cache. It is a great unit but not that user friendly for a first time GPS. Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions. I am trying to learn about it myself. Dick W7WT

I use a Garmin Ique 3600 and use the Track feature. The orientation plus the distance to the cache is all you need to zero in on a cache. I find it to be extremely accurate and once it locks onto satellites it just does not want to let go. I even use it in the car resting on my console and it very rarely loses reception and if so regains it quickly. I travel quite a bit and rent various make of cars. I am not familiar with the software you are trying to use with it but Garmin's FAQs state that at present there is no capability for the 3600 to have dialogue with a PC. This is unfortunate because entering waypoints manually can be a pain.

No, if you do a rout to the cache, and select off road (and have "Track Up" instead of "North Up"), you will have The rout line pointing to the cache, just like the arrow on a compass page of other GPSs, and there is a little arrow in the upper left corner that points north. Plus you get to keep the map visible.

I have cached with my Street Pilot III (had to, etrex was at Garmin), which works the same way, and it works really well (I like it better than a compass page). With caches that require you to take a heading, it's not good, but I have yet to do one of those.

Edited by martmann

We LOVE our iQue 3600, and use it exclusively, but I have not figured out a way to enter waypoints other than manually. When we park the car, we change the routing preferences to "off Road", and zoom in all the way (120'). We'd love to find a way to enter waypoints via computer, and already enter cache pages via eBooks. Maybe someday, we'll get a rugged GPSr and leave the iQue in the car, but for now, it's all we have, and it works very well.

ATC Dude

At Garmin's website, there is an add-in to Palm Desktop. Well, several, actually, but one allows distilling waypoints from files saved with MapSource. So if you can get your waypoint into the ordinary Mapsource program, then you can get it into the iQue.

Then there are some other utilities, written by other people. One allows conversion of the search files from the geocaching site, to insert them directly into the iQue address book.

The program from Cetus, referenced above, gives the iQue a compass page. But it has its own list of waypoints, so it doesn't interface very well with the other GPS applications in the iQue.

ThatWay is another program, which may do the same thing. But Cetus is free.

ATC Dude,

Have you looked at cachemate? I just got an iQue, and it was so easy to load in the way points using cachemate.

Pretty much from Cachemate you can export out your caches to a category in your address book. Then go to the FIND feature on your iQue, then Waypoints, and you'll see all your caches. Then just choose Route To.

When I'm all done with those, I just go into address book and delete the address book listings from a new category I made called "geocaches".

And cachemate will also hold all your descriptions, hints, previous logs for your caches. Along with allowing you to place your own log for that cache.

Yes, I've got the trial version of Cachemate in now, and when I get home from our Christmas vacation, I intend to get the real version; it works pretty well! On another note, I have discovered (the hard way!) that traveling with the iQue and no way to Hotsync is VERY risky! My iQue has lost its memory and rebooted several times, probably due to static, and no longer gives me verbal navigation. I am buying an eTrex to take on the trail and will keep the iQue in the car where it's safe, and I guess, send it back to Garmin for the static electricity problem repair, and then buy a traveling Hotsync cradle.

Thanks for the help!

ATC Dude

Edited by ATC Dude

ATC Dude,

I was out caching with a friend of mine who had just gotten his iQue back in October. And the same thing kept happening to him, a little static electricity and it would hard reset itself and lose all the info. He then went and got a back up SD card and a little program.

But the last time he had a big static shock, it wiped out his iQue from being able to sync with the Satellites. He called Garmin and there is a problem with the iQue and static electricity and he sent it back and they fixed. Have you called Garmin about the problem with it losing the data?

Hi,

I just got me an IQue 3600. I still have my GPS III tough :-). I also use Fugawi with the IQue. But mainly for offroad navigation when we´re out jeeping.

I have two question, maybe one of you can help.

1. Is there a possibility to enter waypoints directly in the Fugawi PALM-Application. Not in the PC-Software, which works fine. I haven´t found a solution to this one yet

2. How do you enter waypoints in the IQUE the fastest way. The only thing I came up with was to use the Map Screen, then a click on the flag (which marks the current position) and then change this manually. But there must be a faster way, or?

TIA for the help.

Martin

Thanks for all the answers.

To enter waypoints manually, go to "Menu" (the house icon), and then "Addresses". At the bottom, tap "new" and type a name or waypoint, then tap "Done." Then, tap at the end of the line for the new address, where the flag icon would be if the address had a waypoint. A new window will come up asking you how you want to enter the location. Tap on "Manually" and enter the Lat/Longs. Once you do this a few times, it goes pretty quickly, but I really prefer to download them when I can!

ATC Dude

Thanks for all the answers.

To enter waypoints manually, go to "Menu" (the house icon), and then "Addresses". At the bottom, tap "new" and type a name or waypoint, then tap "Done." Then, tap at the end of the line for the new address, where the flag icon would be if the address had a waypoint. A new window will come up asking you how you want to enter the location. Tap on "Manually" and enter the Lat/Longs. Once you do this a few times, it goes pretty quickly, but I really prefer to download them when I can!

ATC Dude

Thanks a lot. Pretty easy once you know how to do it. I came up with the problem on a multilevel cache where you were give new coordinates in one of the stages.

Martin

I bought the real version of Cachemate ($7), and I LOVE it! I highly reccomend it. With that and a Premium membership to Geocaching.com, you get all the info you need, and then you tap on "map" ant the software maps it for you as a new waypoint. I also got an eTrex to carry in the field, so that the expensive iQue can stay in the car!

ATC Dude