Placing My First Cache

TeamBoonieHat

It is important that your cache be physically in place at the time when it is approved and published on the website. I've seen several cases where early FTF seekers have met with disappointment because the cache hadn't been hidden yet.

If you would like to include the waypoint information on your cache container, logbook or in an application for a permit from a land manager, there's an easy solution to the problem. Set up your cache page, which assigns you a GCxxxx waypoint number. Then, temporarily disable the cache, either by unchecking the "This cache is active" box on the hide a cache form, or by clicking the link at the top of the completed cache page, just under the name of the geocache. Temporarily disabled caches do NOT show up in the approval queue and the volunteer reviewers know NOT to approve these caches.

When you've physically placed your cache, simply re-enable your cache by checking the "this cache is active" box or clicking the "Enable this cache" link below the cache name. It will then show up in the approval queue and a volunteer will take a look at it.

I've checked with the approver before doing a cache when I was concerned about an issue that mgith prevent it. I didn't want to go through the process onyl to get disapproved. I'm now going to modify what I'm going to do so it should get approved when I hide it.

ALan

Why would one put the GC# on the container? I've never used it for anything ever.

If muggles find it, they'll use a verbal description of where it was if your lucky enough to have them email you.

(I consider it VERY important to include my anonymous email address [yahoo] on the container in case CG.com doesn't exist in the future, changes, fails, or whatever.)

I essentially 'sign' the cache note with that email address. Don't use a tracable email address however!

Enjoy,

Randy

I say put your cache in place before you seek approval. I saw a new cache posted last friday and jumped in the car and drove the 30 minutes to get it. Searched for 45 minutes - it was for a first to find - and was about to start raking the forest when the owners husband drove buy. I corralled him and showed him where I thought it should be. Yup - that's where his wife told him she was going to put it. "Going" being the optimum word . She expected to have 24 hours in which to place the cache. So long story short I didn't get to claim the "first to find" but I did claim my first "first to not find" tm spunsister. :)