Releasing cache on particular date

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, or please point me to the right thread.

I am planning to hide a cache, but want to release it on a particular date. I plan to hide the cache well in advance of the release date. I obviously need to have it approved before it can be posted. Is there a way to contact the local approver to approve it early or will Geocaching post the site on a particular date that I pick?

I thank you all in advance for any information that you can give me on this.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

When you fill in your form for the cache, just put a message in big bold text at the top stating your request.

I had a series of nine caches I wanted all approved at the same time, and as I placed them, I filled the form, but put a note in at the top saying what I was doing.

This gave the approver time to check out the cache location and make sure everything was OK. He did, and added "HOLD" to all the cache names to make sure another approver didn't release them.

On the day I was ready for them to go active, I just dropped him an email saying to go ahead and activate them.

- - - - -

I wish I could hear the soundtrack to my life. That way I'd know when to duck.

The date I plan to release the catch is a special date. I would like the cache to be released on this date. BTW how far in advance should I place the catch? Is 2 weeks ample time or does it depend on how busy the approvers are?

Thanks for your help. Although this cache will be in Massachusetts, I'll drop a note so you can at least check out the page. Maybe you can cache it if you get to New England on vacation.

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Why not submit the cache, and then immediately archive it temporarily? <SNIP>

If you temp disable a cache, it still appears on the "closest to" search (although at the bottom grouped with other unavailable caches).

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

Posting the note to the approver is the way to go. So long as not EVERYONE does it, timed releases are OK in special circumstances. The most common is a cache placed in connection with an event cache at the same park.

As for timing, two weeks is a bit far in advance for a regular cache placement. If you had a series of 25 related caches, then two weeks would be nice, we recently had two DAYS to review a series like that. Also, if your cache is not a standard tupperware or ammo box in the woods, allow a few extra days while any issues are worked out. But normally 4 or 5 days ought to be fine.

Since your State does not have an in-state approver, just post your cache with the request, and one of several approvers who cover your state will grab it off the queue and work with you.

--------------------

Saving the day and approving all the caches... before bedtime!

all righty...

i've been trying to time my recent releases so they do not debut on the same weekend. the first one got caught up in the queue and was later than expected, so i have a little backlog.

for two of them, the approvers told me to just put a note on it specifying the intended release date, and it would be a simple thing. HOWEVER, with the third one, the approver either ignored the not or forgot to put it on hold, which causes me a little awkwardness; i've had to temporarily disable it, because the second one is coming off hold tomorrow. the good news is that i can get to it easly in the AM and pull the container so it won't hit the streets yet.

anyway, i think what i'm saying is that it's a dice roll.

and if you ask why not just put them out when i want them to appear, if i'm going to all the trouble of building the container, i want to be sure that another hider does not use my intended location. the best waay to reserve the spot is to place a cache there.

i have to scramble for my next placement, because the cache concept is very place sensitive and has to be in a certain spot. since i have no backup location, i'll have to get the cotainer out there ASAP. it also has to sit in the spot for a couple of weeks to let the comouflage ripen.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.