Cleaning containers that used to house food.

Sissy-n-CR

I got a couple of those large plastic peanut butter jars. When you clean these with bleach do you just clean it or do you have to let them soak for a while to get the food smell out of them?

I'm wanting to put out a couple large urban caches like the ones I found when I started. Fairly easy ones that don't look as potentially threatening like ammo cans do. I want to use plastic jars because they are more secure than *ware.

...or do I really have to worry about critters in an urban setting?

CR

72057_2000.gif

Well, for sanitizing my camelbak bladder you take a coupe table spoons of bleach and fill it with water and let it sit over night. Since you don't have to drink out of if I bet you could wash it and fill it up half way with bleach and just shake shake shake for a bit and it would be fine.

Maybe even baking soda and water.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

For what you describe, I'd recommend either a screw-top rubbermaid container or a Seal 'N Saver jar or bowl. Here is a link to the Seal 'N Saver line of Rubbermaid containers. I've seen lots of these and placed a few, as well as cheaper versions of Rubbermaid products (click on the "kitchen products" link to go and see other types of Cacheware, including the screw-top jars). The Seal 'N Saver ones seem to work the best, although I did replace a leaky one after a full year in a damp forest. I've never seen one of the screw-on lid types spring a leak. Granted, the size of the opening limits the types of trade items, but that wouldn't be any better with most types of food containers.

So, uhhh, I've got Rubbermaid's site bookmarked. What a GeoGeek.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

It doesn't take much. One tablespoon will kill all the germs in 55 gallons of water. I put 4 tablespoons in my 25 gallon drinking water tank on the boat, it prevents the algae in the lines and kills the germs. We then run the drinking water through the Brita Filter pitcher to remove the slight bleach odor.

For odor removal use the old stand by baking soda afterwards.

Your results may vary. Capn Skully

What I did was pure a little bit of bleach in it and just it up. Poured in the next container to be cleaned and rinsed. My sniffer is stuffed right now so I'll have to check later to see if I can smell anything other than the bleach.

I've still got to paint them up and get a few more trade items, so I'v got a little time to see.

CR

72057_2000.gif

Being in the Food Service Industry I come across these quite often and have used them for Cache Containers.

To Clean:

1. Wash with Hot Soapy Water to dissolve any grease and food particles.

2. Soak with a mixture of Bleach and Laundry Soap.

3. Wash with comet cleanser for the final scrub.

4. Rinse with real hot water.

Tahosa - Dweller of the Mountain Tops.

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

It doesn't take much. One tablespoon will kill all the germs in 55 gallons of water.

To kill all the germs in 55 gallons of water would take more than a tablespoon. It takes one teaspoon per 5 gallons, so 11 teaspoons per 55 gallons. At 3 teaspoons per tablespoon, thats 3.6 tablespoons. Clorox disaster preparedness Use only regular bleach, not scented for water purification.

I've used a couple of these containers - they work great. I paint the lids camouflage and line the jar with the "stash note" so anyone who finds it can see it's a geocache immediately. The only problem I've had is they don't hold paint too well (I think the plastic's flexible and the paint not-so, so it tends to flake off over time). Any painting tips are welcome!

Good size too - not too small to get a hand into!

quote:
Originally posted by cachew nut:

quote:
Originally posted by Capn_Skully:

It doesn't take much. One tablespoon will kill all the germs in 55 gallons of water.

To kill all the germs in 55 gallons of water would take more than a tablespoon. It takes one teaspoon per 5 gallons, so 11 teaspoons per 55 gallons. At 3 teaspoons per tablespoon, thats 3.6 tablespoons. http://clorox.com/health/disaster/disaster5.html Use only regular bleach, not scented for water purification.

When I was in high school(30 years ago) it only took a tablespoon.icon_biggrin.gif Bleach is powerfull stuff and I was quoting the minimum amounts not recommended ammounts.

Filling the container with bleach is overkill and wastes the bleach. A trick we use on the boat is to keep swimming pool tablets in a sealed container. When we need some bleach for cleaning just break off a small piece and disolve in some water. No sense in carrying that extra weight around.

Vini Vidi Velcro I came I saw I stuck around. Your results may vary. Capn Skully