Orienteering Caches?

Valerka

As someone who does both, I can say that the typical orienteering competition requires compass and map skills and physical endurance that go far beyond what is required for most cache hunts, even those rated a 3 or 4. However, multi-stage cache hunts, if done with all of the waypoints on the ground, and located so that a person needs to carefully use a topo map to avoid walking up steep hills or over gorges, certainly could take the difficulty level up to near what typically occurs in an orienteering course. Why don't you create one?

I don't know of any similar sport which exists in the orienteering world, but, I have been thinking about a third in series of navigation caches.

I'd be real interested in any hearing about caches that emphisize orienteering skills.

quote:
Originally posted by TAT:

I don't know of any similar sport which exists in the orienteering world, but, I have been thinking about a third in series of navigation caches.

I'd be real interested in any hearing about caches that emphisize orienteering skills.

I think it is a good idea. From the starting point, they might have to travel X meters in Y direction, where there would be some kind of obvious landmark, or perhaps even a micro cache with the next set of instructions ... repeat several times until the cache and you have a nice GPS orienteering course with a cache at the end. The key would be to have a relatively large area of open public land. The problem down here in Florida is that all the places like that have swamps nested within them (in south Florida at least).

Good luck if you do this.

quote:
Originally posted by BadAndy:

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

Isn't letterboxing bascially orienteering without a GPS??

Many letterbox clues lack compass headings and/or distances.

Many but not all...

---------------------------------------------------

Free your mind and the rest will follow 30296_400.gif

And may no Admin bricks 19490_2600.gif fly your way

I have several that combine both sports.

1. Geoteering

2. Grey Diamond Ghost Trail

3. Grand Slam

4. Drakes Dilema

And compass bearings are incorporated into several of my other caches. And from what I've seen most cachers won't go after them because they are not easy. And there are more on the planning board.

When you put both of the sports together most of the geeks drop off and the real navigators show up for the fun.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

[This message was edited by Tahosa and Sons on October 07, 2003 at 09:57 PM.]

Hey, Tahosa and Sons, I've been looking for folks like you since I started in this sport. I've marked your referenced pages and will look at them more thoroughly as I find the time but what you've created looks to me to be great fun.. the fun is in the challenge, not in the find.

"Today's truth remains valid only as long as it withstands the test of tomorrow's discoveries" - George Hicks

I don't think so. My understanding is that letterboxing gives verbal clues to find the object. Orienteering simply marks its location on a map. That is how I do Geocaching. I download a map using the coordinate data and go to the spot. Ed Scott

I want this topic bumped back into the light. I think its time we see more complex and involved caches, rather than park and grab all the time.

Before the deluge of hate mail, NOT knocking park and grab. They have their place. But we need a better mix.

Multi caches are a step in the right direction, but the creativity of installing compass directions, clues to solve, etc. make it a whole new adventure.

Whats anyone else think ?

Two roads diverged in the woods and I,

I took the one less traveled,

and that is how I found the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

We even left a compass in a small container at the second stage so that those who don't have, or didn't bring a compass of their own, can complete the cache.

That would have been helpful on a cache near me a few months ago. I eventually found it using my GPS, but it took awhile.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

nm_button.gifmystats.php?userid=Team%20GPSaxophone&vopt=&txtdata=&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Quote from Hikemaster.

I think it is a good idea. From the starting point, they might have to travel X meters in Y direction, where there would be some kind of obvious landmark, or perhaps even a micro cache with the next set of instructions ... repeat several times until the cache and you have a nice GPS orienteering course with a cache at the end. The key would be to have a relatively large area of open public land. The problem down here in Florida is that all the places like that have swamps nested within them (in south Florida at least).

Good luck if you do this.

Actually that would not be orienteering. We do not know the direction nor the distance to the spot. That information is obtained by carefully reading the map.. usually while running. Probably the best hybrid, at least from the orienteering point of view, would be to have a multicache of 8 to 10 points with an overall distance of about 5 miles. For advanced cachers no cache would be within 100 meters of a trail and there would be no trails connecting the caches on the course. The coordinates would be posted at cache site so they would have to be done in the proper order. Competitors woud be released from a starting point at two minute intervals to prevent following. Winning times should be about an hour.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BadAndy:

quote:

Many letterbox clues lack compass headings and/or distances.

Many but not all...

-gif fly your way

And all competitive Orienteering courses are without compass headings or distances. This informatin is gathered by reading the map. Most good orienteers use their compass very sparingly. The map is the tool that gets us there.