Thought On The Geocards

phrosty

Well, i'm sure not everyone will be willing to shell out 150$ for cards (whereas some will) i have a nifty lil idea here (IMHO) you can go to your neighborhood fry's electronics, or pretty much any electronics store, and pick up those micro cd-r's and make a cachecard in that manner.. small, rather, cheap and you can stick massive amounts of info about the location, other caches you have placed in the area, and photos, etc. Just a thought. Would love to hear the feedback/flak on this one.

I really like that idea.. I think it would be a very good thing to share..

But how many of you have Cd recorders??

I have a cd recorder but many maybe won't have one.. that would make it very expencive for a trading card if they need to buy a recorder..

Well I really think that the trading cards are not going to work for the whole geocaching community.. maybe it's more good to have induviduals who like the trading cards make them self..

Making the trading cards can be in various formats.. (Bussiness card, Mini-CD, Flyer... etc..)

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

although nowadays, computers are pretty much standerd with them.. so thats why i mentioned it.. a few years ago i would have laughed at such a thing, my how time and technology changes things..eitherway.. thats jus something that sounds fun w/ mine! so all you people that lurk around the DFW area come and find em, when i post em!

-

Let me start by saying I am very new to this so I may not have the perspective of many here.

I had been thinking about a QSL type card that ham radio folks use before I saw that suggested on here. My feeling is for a stack to be left by the person hiding the cache and then one left by the person finding it.

But there have been a number of posts with various ideas. From coins to trading cards to business card type things and now another great idea of CDs.

My feeling is to just to try to get away from the toy type of thing to trade. Instead some kind of thing that is unique to the person that could be picked up to remember the find and could be left as your "calling card". Whatever that might be.

I am not sure there is a need to have one kind of item. But at least for me it would be a little more special if I had something that was unique to that find. I was thinking I could print out some kind of card on the PC with whatever information I wanted and then date it and leave it. And then take something like that back with me that maybe had where the cache was and a little about it.

But there are a ton of good ideas of what those items should be on here. I think it might be best to leave that up to each individual. There are a lot of creative ideas here and if everybody is doing the same thing that might become boring. But if you are surprised everytime you find a cache on how that person presents themself that might be fun.

I for one don't really see the need to take and leave trinkets. But that is just me. It again would be more meaningful to have something that was more cache specific. Then people could do what they wanted according to time and budget. I guess that in some way that might be forcing people to conform but I think it does still leave the door wide open.

I agree that leaving toys and trinkets can be boring if that's the vast majority of what's in the caches.

I'm no expert, either, having only found 3 caches, but I like the idea of a whole variety of things being left. I'd love to come across a cache coin someday. I also think that the cache cards are a great idea. Probably my favorite thing I got from a cache is the cranberry candle I got from my first cache - it just happens to be one of my favorite scents.

But there are times, especially when I have my kids with me, when being able to trade for a toy is really nice. I traded for toys at 2 of the 3 caches, and was happy to have been able to do that.

What I'm trying to do is to stock the ol' backpack with more variety, in terms of trade items. In caches that are toy-rich, I'll try to leave something for adults.

I like very much the idea of making a CD, and am probably going to leave those from time to time.

I just try to leave something that I think is pretty nice, and is hopefully something that others will want to trade for.

Shannah

I'm brand new at this... but the idea of trading cards appeals to me. You can buy sheets of perforated blank business cards at OfficeMax or wherever and run them through your printer. Would something like that be okay?

I've been playing around with a design, but I was just wondering about a couple things. Would this be something of a signature item where I would just leave one per cache visited? If that's the case I might laminate them to make them a little nicer. Or would I maybe leave, say, a dozen rubber-banded together in each cache so that any visitor who wanted one could take one?

I'm not to the stage yet where I'll be hiding any caches in the near future... right now I'm just getting a feel for the game.

i thought of it, because i used to give my fiance little disks for her computer of dj mixes i used to make (and still do for that matter).. and they held 20mins or so of music and about 200 megs of data.. so i figured i could get really inventive and have some fun at the same time. hence the rather odd idea.

-

Team KKF2A had been tossing around burning CD's to put into caches for quite some time ... we just can't figure out what to put on them!! If anyone has some good ideas, please let us know.

I'd like to stay away from anything that is copy-protected such as mp3's, some software, etc.

I was thinking of putting the cache photos after the cameras were filled up onto CD's ... would those be of interest to anyone after hunting a particular cache?

- Dekaner of Team KKF2A

I’ve been toying with an idea using the business card cd’s for a month or so now. I have clicked several hundred pictures while out caching and quite a few have come out nicely. I keep thinking that a screensaver or slideshow with some of these pictures including the cache info where they were taken would be a neat signature item. What’s been holding me up is finding a good program to make the screensaver/slideshow. Anyone have any suggestions?

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

well i play with a lil program called swish (basically a program thats made for people that don't have time for macromedia flash and want the same effect) and my ideas were to maybe throw in a mix or 2 of mine, as well, as information of the cache site, significance of the site, history (if any) and photos and possibly sounds of the site and also another idea i'm toying with is to make it a riddle to another unposted cache site, w/ possible better things or more riddles or something along those lines.. the possiblities are limitless.. and just wondering.. how do you form a caching team?

-

p.s. ideas above, feel free to share them w/ everyone..

When my friend mentioned geocaching I was intrigued by the idea in general. But intead of imagining myself cruising around looking for caches, I immediately started thinking of where and how I would hide a cache--picturing people looking for them. Then I read the cache placing rules and had to prune my list of possible hides... icon_wink.gif But I still have a bunch of interesting ideas that I'd love to implement. I feel more compelled to hide than to seek.

This in no way means that I'll not go find them, because I can get more ideas that way too. But I hear at least people say things like "I'm not to the stage yet where I'll be hiding any caches in the near future..." and I think, "What? Hiding 'em is what I'm all about!" Of course I have yet to place my first cache. In the meantime, I'll be hoping the caches I do find are as fun and interesting as I'm planning mine to be.

I guess there are people who solve puzzles, and there are people who create them.

Oh, I forgot, I like the ideas of placing more-than-toy contents into caches. CDs or similar items that I can explore after I get home are a great idea. I hope I can come up with a really cool idea for mine...

Garmin GPSmap 76

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

When my friend mentioned geocaching I was intrigued by the idea in general. But intead of imagining myself cruising around looking for caches, I immediately started thinking of where and how I would hide a cache--picturing people looking for them. Then I read the cache placing rules and had to prune my list of possible hides... icon_wink.gif But I still have a bunch of interesting ideas that I'd love to implement. I feel more compelled to hide than to seek.

This in no way means that I'll not go find them, because I can get more ideas that way too. But I hear at least people say things like "I'm not to the stage yet where I'll be hiding any caches in the near future..." and I think, "What? Hiding 'em is what I'm all about!" Of course I have yet to place my first cache. In the meantime, I'll be hoping the caches I do find are as fun and interesting as I'm planning mine to be.

I guess there are people who solve puzzles, and there are people who create them.

Oh, I forgot, I like the ideas of placing more-than-toy contents into caches. CDs or similar items that I can explore after I get home are a great idea. I hope I can come up with a really cool idea for mine...

Garmin GPSmap 76

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there."

quote:
Originally posted by MissEm:

I'm brand new at this... but the idea of trading cards appeals to me. You can buy sheets of perforated blank business cards at OfficeMax or wherever and run them through your printer. Would something like that be okay?

Yep, there are a lot of people who have done that, including me. Mine is a "I was here" sort of thing, with a spot to include the date and time I was at the cache, which can then be attached in the log book.

quote:

I've been playing around with a design, but I was just wondering about a couple things. Would this be something of a signature item where I would just leave one per cache visited? If that's the case I might laminate them to make them a little nicer. Or would I maybe leave, say, a dozen rubber-banded together in each cache so that any visitor who wanted one could take one?

If its an "I was here" card, then just one would certainly be more than sufficient. If its more of a "cacher info" card, then a few might be okay, so long as you don't go overboard (a dozen may be a little much, but that's just my opinion.)

quote:
Originally posted by Dekaner:

I was thinking of putting the cache photos after the cameras were filled up onto CD's ... would those be of interest to anyone after hunting a particular cache?

I think this is a super idea! I'd definitely trade for that. I'm the type of person that likes to read the whole log book (if time and weather permit) and I always read the all the online logs after I've found a cache. Putting pictures to the names and stories would be great fun!

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars

quote:
Originally posted by Whidbey Walk:

What’s been holding me up is finding a good program to make the screensaver/slideshow. Anyone have any suggestions?

Not a program, per se, but a suggestion: make it a Video CD instead of a screensaver/computery thingy. I have some scripts that build a slideshow VCD on Linux, but they're extremely rough-and-ready. However, the result is cool: you can play it in a DVD player on your big TV.

warm.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i thought of it, because i used to give my fiance little disks for her computer of dj mixes i used to make (and still do for that matter)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, hon, have you been gossiping with the guys again about our fun?? LOL... icon_razz.gif

I hope to start doing some geocaching here soon with Phrosty. We've been planning an outing as soon as we can get all of our things together and ready. We won't be doing the camping thing for a while due to us having a two year old, but it sounds fun for the future!! Thanks for all the ideas!!! Have fun everyone and look for our CD-R's in the upcoming future!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

Rice on a car only makes you tasty for dinner!!

i thought of it, because i used to give my fiance little disks for her computer of dj mixes i used to make (and still do for that matter)

Well, hon, have you been gossiping with the guys again about our fun?? LOL... icon_razz.gif

I hope to start doing some geocaching here soon with Phrosty. We've been planning an outing as soon as we can get all of our things together and ready. We won't be doing the camping thing for a while due to us having a two year old, but it sounds fun for the future!! Thanks for all the ideas!!! Have fun everyone and look for our CD-R's in the upcoming future!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_cool.gif

Rice on a car only makes you tasty for dinner!!

It has been five months since the idea started to take shape, but it has finally come together. I decided to use Warm Fuzzies idea of creating a Video CD that can be played in a home DVD player. I wasn’t able to use the mini cdr’s due to their small capacity, but the finished product is quite nice I think. Now I just need to find some time to get out there and find some caches to leave them in.

http://home.earthlink.net/~whidbeywalk/

I don't know why no one has ever thought of this before, but...

You ready?

How about each cache having it's own stamp? Then, each cacher having their own stamp, as well? You stamp your stamp in the cache log and stamp the cache stamp in your log. That way you can take something unique from that cache and leave something unique to you! Just have to work out the logistics of the inkpad, though. Maybe, each person can bring thier own. Plus, the cache already has a log. You just have to make sure you bring your log to stamp it!

Plus, you don't have to keep replenishing the cache with cards or anything.

That's the perfect solution!

Well, on second thought, it'd never work...

CR

72057_2000.gif

I had thought about putting together a picture cd containing photos and coordinates for the local 'hotspots' and some out the way places. We get quite a few tourists through here and I thought it would be nice to be able to show visting geocahers some other areas of interest in the area. I thought I would include things like the best resturants, non touristy-secluded beachecs, hospitals(just in case),in general the local inside info. If more cachers did this, it would'nt take long to build up a pretty nice collection of pics and coordinates as a permanent reminder of your adventures.

-------------------------------------------------

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne