ink or paint ?

300mag

After doing a mutli wpt cache my waypoints fade away with time and weather. I use permanent ink markers. I though of using a small paint brush and painting my coords on the object at this location ie: old steel pipe,trailer,rock etc.... This would last longuer. What would you use?

We have hunted for two multi caches. One used a film canister with the coordinates of the second leg on a paper inside it (the paper was laminated to keep it from getting ruined), but one time the mini got eaten by locals! The other one used a 3 x 5 piece of plastic (real rigid.. 1/4 inch thick) with the next coordinates engraved in it. I would not like to see paint or ink on rocks, etc. in the wilderness, or in any parks. It is too hard to remove when the game is over. I thought the idea was to leave the area as natural as possible. Ink or paint seems too much like graffiti! icon_eek.gif

We have hunted for two multi caches. One used a film canister with the coordinates of the second leg on a paper inside it (the paper was laminated to keep it from getting ruined), but one time the mini got eaten by locals! The other one used a 3 x 5 piece of plastic (real rigid.. 1/4 inch thick) with the next coordinates engraved in it. I would not like to see paint or ink on rocks, etc. in the wilderness, or in any parks. It is too hard to remove when the game is over. I thought the idea was to leave the area as natural as possible. Ink or paint seems too much like graffiti! icon_eek.gif

My advice would be to avoid marking up the landscape in such a "permanent" way. I could see placing ink or paint on objects as a way to turn people against geocaching.

I think that the most popular thing that I've seen used for multicaches is laminated pieces of paper containing coordinates, clues, etc. placed in film canisters. The canisters can be hidden surreptitiously and removed easily if there is a complaint. A similar method is taping laminated information to metal objects in out-of-the-way places.

What I have done on a couple of multicaches is to engrave small aluminum tags and affix them to tree branches. They are small and under the radar for most people.

24_700.gif

[This message was edited by Moun10Bike on March 16, 2002 at 08:40 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

What would you use?

texpen.jpg

Have you tried using a “TexPen” by Mark_Tex Corp.? These are permanent, waterproof paints that write just like a ballpoint pen and come in many colors. I've used them successfully in outdoor environments, and they can be found in many art supply stores. Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===

After you mark you cache with ink, paint or marker you might try covering the letters with clear nail polish. We use it at work to protect various marks.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

quote:
Originally posted by 300mag:

What would you use?

http://goombah.home.att.net/pics/texpen.jpg

Have you tried using a “TexPen” by _http://www.dykem.com/Products/MarkingSystems/IndustrialMarkingPens/texpen.htm_? These are permanent, waterproof paints that write just like a ballpoint pen and come in many colors. I've used them successfully in outdoor environments, and they can be found in many art supply stores. Cheers ...

_~Rich in NEPA~_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/1132_1200.jpg

__=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===__

I use these on my uniforms. There aint nothing that can get this stuff out of fabric. It takes years of washing to even fade the stuff.

- Lone Rangers