The one that got away...

Walkin Stick

On a recent trip through Montana I stopped at a fee-box at the entrance to a park where a geocache was located. As I was getting out of my vehicle, a truck with two park service employees (rangers?) was leaving, and for some unknown (and unimportant) reason... stopped. I thought GREAT! I can explain that I'll only be there for 5 minutes... that I was on a scavenger hunt... that I was going to sign a log book and then leave. Maybe I can get in without paying the entrance fee... If not, nothing would be lost as I was going to pay anyway.

His reply? No, you still need to pay.

Had he stopped there, I'd of had no problem. But he went on to say that he wasn't aware of any log books. That, after I paid, I WOULD go to the log book and he WOULD follow right behind me.

What would you have done at this point?

Support your local rescue team.... Get Lost!

How about 'F' "Piss off, its really none of your business, your not my friend and I have the right in this public park to go where I want without being followed. Now thank you for your offer but I think I will do just fine on my own so be on your way and do something of some use."

Or something along those lines. Or just left and came back after a bit.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I don't think I would have said anything to the guys. I probably would have paid the fee and continued on my way to the cache, without engaging the employees, or made like I was lost and turned around and come back 10 minutes later.

I go by the theory, the less said the better off you are. But being that you did say something and they planned on following you, I would probably have kept walking until they got bored.

I wouldn't have said anything in the first place. But, under these circumstances, I'd have probably attempted to explain the sport to him in detail, highlighting all the positive aspects, going to great lengths to stay on trails, and practicing as much "cache in, trash out" as I could. If he wasn't responding very well, I'd have had a lot of trouble finding the cache. If he seemed genuinely interested and had a positive response, I'd have gone straight to the cache, and prayed really hard that nobody had left something stupid or illegal in it.

25021_1200.gif

Why all the hostile attitudes? My first thought when reading the initial post was "Why is this guy trying to scam out of a couple bucks?" I've read this sentiment in some online logs, too. That sort of mentality falls under the "We're Shooting ourselves in the foot, folks" thread.

If you ask the ranger to enter the park for free, and then tell him about geocaching, what sort of message does that send? We've promoted this activity to park personnel as bringing desirable people to their park. Desirable people pay park entry fees. Some even pick up litter on their way out.

My first response is that the fee should have been paid. Given the circumstances, I don't know if it would have been a good idea to now let the guy know about geocaching, considering that he probably thinks that geocachers are freeloaders.

From the viewpoint of the ranger, you've just attempted to squirm past the entry fee, and now you tell him about some box placed out in the woods that he manages? It's only right that you show him what's out there, and hopefully you can explain that geocaching is a good hobby on the way.

Jamie

We spend hundreds of bucks on travel expenses, GPS receivers, backpacks, trade items, etc., and yet I see time after time we try to get off with not paying a couple of lousy bucks to get in a park. C'mon! So what if you're only going to be there "just a few minutes". I bet they hear that from every other visitor. How do you know you're only going to be there a few minutes? Did the cache description mention a flashing neon sign above the cache? (attn: Rant almost over) If the park fee is going to blow your budget for the year, forget about the cache. And think about - if it was your job to take care of a facility, wouldn't you be just a little curious (and maybe suspicious) of someone who wants to dash in for a few minutes and dash right back out, especially after trying to weasel out of the fee.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

RULE NUMBER ONE!

When dealing with a CITY, COUNTY, STATE or FEDERAL government employee or entity, DO NOT VOLUNTEER any information!!! You may ask a simple question like, "where is rest rooms?" BUT NEVER ADD "because geocache logbook is behind paper towel dispenser"....

RULE NUMBER TWO.

See rule number one!

And don't be a cheapskate pay the $2, it may the the deciding $2 dollars the keeps the park open to public.

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------