Geocaching in Discover Magazine

Mr. 0

I guess there's an article on Geocaching in Discover magazine this month. My father has a subscription and was telling me about it just now. I haven't seen the article yet, but hopefully will be able to check it out tomorrow. icon_cool.gif

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. 0:

I guess there's an article on Geocaching in Discover magazine this month.

quote:
Originally posted by Metaphor:

It's in the February 2002 issue and opens with a geocacher's (Ed Hall) story, then goes into new information transfer technologies based on geographic coordinates.

Maybe February 2003?

BTW - it will probably be available online here, although they only have through Dec '02 so far.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I finally received my February copy of Discover magazine in the mail today.

I was glancing at the cover whilst it sat on my coffee table and I noticed the letters "GPS." The article name referenced on the cover was something like "Will GPS make the Web 3-D?"

I didn't expect the article to start off about Geocaching as I opened the magazine, but lo and behold, it did.

It was an interesting piece that hypothesized that someday we might have the capability to "leave messages floating in the air" at certain coordinates to certain people, so if those people walk by with their GPS equipped Palm Pilot or laptop, the message will appear to them. Or something like that.

Interesting article anyway.

Lastly, I thought I was going to have the scoop on this article to post here... but apparently I'm WAY behind the times.

Pan

Cachito ergo sum. I Geocache, therefore I am.

I like this quote:

"It's one of those great if slightly loopy milestones of modern technology. Decades of research and $12 billion worth of satellite hardware, and what do people do with it? They use it to locate the sort of treasure you'd find in a cereal box."

TeamTJ

Interesting article. I did notice that it said that GPS works on the principle of "trilateration," using three satellites as points of reference to determine one's position. I always thought the term was "triangulation." Can one of the science whizzes please explain the difference?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

...it could be one of those "using the wrong word because it sounds more official" like using "centripetal" instead of "centrifugal" or using a completely bogus word like "orientate" or flat out using the wrong word like "expletive" (note, it has NOTHING to do with dirty words).

Trilateral refers to having three sides. That's a nice word, but it's actually "triangulation".

When I first saw the article in my copy of Discover, I thought it was about one of those hair-brained "Leave a message floating in space" things, so I was surprised when I read further and found that it mentioned geocaching.

I was even more surprised when I didn't see any reference to geocaching dot com icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

When I first saw the article in my copy of Discover, I thought it was about one of those hair-brained "Leave a message floating in space" things, so I was surprised when I read further and found that it mentioned geocaching.

I was even more surprised when I didn't see any reference to geocaching dot com icon_eek.gif

You're surprised that Buxley (Ed Hall) didn't mention geocaching.com?????

I'm only surprised that "the site that can't be mentioned here" wasnt pimped 100 times.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

You're surprised that Buxley (Ed Hall) didn't mention geocaching.com?????

I'm only surprised that "the site that can't be mentioned here" wasnt pimped 100 times.

No, I'm surprised that the person who wrote the article for Discover didn't mention the site. Did Buxley write the article? I don't have my copy handy.

At any rate, its pretty trivial for somebody to get from Buxley's craptastic site to geocaching.com icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

...it could be one of those "using the wrong word because it sounds more official" like using "centripetal" instead of "centrifugal" or using a completely bogus word like "orientate" or flat out using the wrong word like "expletive" (note, it has NOTHING to do with dirty words).

Trilateral refers to having three sides. That's a nice word, but it's actually "triangulation".

We live in the age of W.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:

We live in the age of W.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

quote:

Depends on use. Centripetal is the more correct when refering to a reference frame rotating a fixed distance about a center.

Orientate is definitely Webster fodder. In black and white. (Personally, I don't like the word either.)

Expletive is also gets a Webster thumbs-up for being an interjectory profane oath.

Trilateral looks like the one word you actually looked up.

Does all this sound officious enough?

don

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

At any rate, its pretty trivial for somebody to get from Buxley's craptastic site to geocaching.com icon_smile.gif

Yeah, those geocaching.com maps are SO much better..... icon_rolleyes.gif

I really liked the article. Nice to see writing that doesn't just pass over the same well-worn description of geocaching as a hobby that's been written up a thousand times.

I particularly liked the article's focus on the merging of information space with physical space, something I'd been interested in relative to warchalking(here), other stashing games(here), and public and private art (here and here).

Also liked the plug for geo-tourism of an open source variety where all sorts of people could contribute to the information attached to the space.

Definitely better than the typical " Geocaching was born when selective availability... blah blah..blah" articles.