cache compromised

SeaTrout

A newbie(I am also new) logged a find on one of my caches today and said that they were looking so

hard for my cache(in a public park) that they

drew attention and then told strangers walking

by what they were looking for.The strangers actually found it for them.I try to be as covert

as possible while hunting,and will stop and leave

before compromising a cache.How many of you have

pretended that your gps is a cell phone to ease suspicion. I believe that those

park walkers will share it with others and get

in it regularly.

Seatrou

We are in it 'for the hunt'.

We are much more interested in finding the cache container than its contents.

jeep.gif

Generally I try to be discrete as possible. I avoid telling anyone what I am doing, most people assume that I am carrying a cell phone. Keep in mind that not everyone will be happy that "their" park is being used for something they don't feel is appropriate. Keep in mind that Geocaching is not formally recogonzie by many parks and some places have even banned it. For saftey reasons or even national security(don't ask). Geocaching is still very much a stealth sport.

Not necessarily a bad thing. I've heard of observers joining in a hunt and enjoying themselves so much, they became geocachers themselves.I think in a case like this, people have to use their judgement. If it's a group of teens drinking beer, you may not want to let them in on what you are doing, but if it's an adult couple, or a family, it may not be such a bad thing.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" - Abraham Lincoln

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on January 05, 2003 at 05:34 PM.]

I recently ran into a father and his two sons. They were looking for bugs and hiking on a trail as I approached the zero point. They asked what I was doing and told them. They helped me look for a while and after I found the cache I showed them the insides, the log book, and took a picture of them with the cache camera.

It just depends on the cache and the muggles.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

The same people also found my micro this morning and mentioned how they really tried to be stealthy. I think they probably used good judgement. Hopefully the people involved will be descrete also. Just check on it occasionally, if it turns up missing archive it and place another somewhere close. I need another one to find anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I understand your concern. It would not be a good feeling to have them log their visit, then a visit or two later, someone reports the cache missing.

On the other hand, I think they did the best they could under the circumstances. As George says, it depends on the muggles. They might turn out to be terrific cachers.

After all, we were all GeoMuggles at one time. We learned about it somewhere, often from another cacher. It is probably going to be just fine.

We do tend to pretend our GPS is a cell phone, but there are times when someone decides to be friendly, and it's hard to keep up the charade.

Shannah

I agree with what most of you are saying.

I guess I just try hard to be covert and

not disturb the cache area any more than

required.I see photos of cachers climbing

fences and trampling everything in sight.

I see it as more of a 'dead drop' scenerio

where I do not what any trace that I was there

except footprints and a signed log book.

Seatrout

We are in it 'for the hunt'.

We are much more interested in finding the cache container than its contents.

jeep.gif

Several times we've done the GPS-is-a-cellphone routine, tried it as a camera a few times, too. Seems to be the easiest thing.

Once, though, I HAD to explain what I was doing. We were out benchmark hunting on a narrow road right near a dam and I had to jump out of the car and slide down a hill to get to the marker. Apparently a cop saw me do that and thought I was escaping from the car or something! I hadn't seen him, I was too busy reading the marker description and watching the GPS to notice him, until he called out "HELLO!" and scared the &^*$! out of me. He asked if I was OK and I yelled back I was fine and said what I was doing. Then he left, and I continued the hunt (I didn't find the marker, nearly stepped in the mother of all holes, and had to walk back meet the car which wasn't there cause he got stuck in traffic on the other side of the dam).

This is a good time to remind everyone - Keep your heads up! Don't forget to watch where you're walking. If I had stepped 2 inches to the right I'd have broken my leg.

Remember that happiness is a way of travel, not a destination. - Roy M. Goodman

Here are some thoughts on "covering" your geocaching activity:

Bring along a bag and pick up trash while you look. People will just think you are wierd and leave you alone.

Dress and look "official" (clipboard, maybe a badge or something). People will just think you are doing your job and leave you alone.

"Could be worse...could be raining"

quote:
Originally posted by ErSamin:

Here are some thoughts on "covering" your geocaching activity:

Bring along a bag and pick up trash while you look. People will just think you are wierd and leave you alone.

Dress and look "official" (clipboard, maybe a badge or something). People will just think you are doing your job and leave you alone.

Wear a hard hat.

Nobody wears those things unless they have to. If you wear a white one, you won't have to lean against a shovel to look authentic.

I've walked through buildings and construction sites with mine (at work naturally) and I'm rarely stopped.

You can get one at a hardware store for less than ten bucks.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Lab coats and a clip board and you tell people you are checking the air quality or the water contents of the local streams! At least that is what someone thought that we were doing one day !

I agree with the trash bags, they will leave you alone when you are picking up trash and what is better is if they join you and help clean up more trash!

Darkmoon icon_biggrin.gif

MMMMMMMMM makes me think about getting a hard hat to go with my lab coat! icon_wink.gif

No, I am not lost...I am where I am suppose to be...At least I think so?