We need to come up with a name for the items in the caches, or is there one already

quote:
Originally posted by Argyle-:

The word 'swag' is actually an acronym.

It's _S_tuff _W_e _A_ll _G_et

I'm fine with swag, or geoswag...

The word swag has been around much too loiong to be an acronym. General rule of thumb - if a word has been around since before World War II, it isn't an acronym. More likely the acronym was made up after the fact, i.e., words like golf and posh.

Sorry to go off topic, but this is how stuff like that gets spread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

MY Ideas:

1:) GeoTradeJunk

2:) GPS-Cache-Stashe

3:) Burger King Toy Stashe

4:) Hidden Garbage-in-a-box

5:) Hidden stash game goodies

The only way this would work is for a new word to be invented to discribe Cashe Stashe, or a compound word is the only way.

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

Future Dictionary Terms:

GeoTradeJunk - The contents of hidden containers used in the game of Geocaching, where people seek the hidden treasures using a GPS, and also they would bring some GeoTradeJunk to exchange. Also look up under GeoCaching.

GeoCaching - Where people seek hidden treasures throughout the world using a GPS, then they add an entry in the cache's logbook, and they trade a GeoTradeJunk item. Also look up under GeoTradeJunk.

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on June 24, 2002 at 05:38 AM.]

MY Ideas:

1icon_smile.gif GeoTradeJunk

2icon_smile.gif GPS-Cache-Stashe

3icon_smile.gif Burger King Toy Stashe

4icon_smile.gif Hidden Garbage-in-a-box

5icon_smile.gif Hidden stash game goodies

The only way this would work is for a new word to be invented to discribe Cashe Stashe, or a compound word is the only way.

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

Future Dictionary Terms:

GeoTradeJunk - The contents of hidden containers used in the game of Geocaching, where people seek the hidden treasures using a GPS, and also they would bring some GeoTradeJunk to exchange. Also look up under GeoCaching.

GeoCaching - Where people seek hidden treasures throughout the world using a GPS, then they add an entry in the cache's logbook, and they trade a GeoTradeJunk item. Also look up under GeoTradeJunk.

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on June 24, 2002 at 05:38 AM.]

I always wanted to use the term tchotchke, but didn't know how to spell it (don't even know if this spelling is correct). Swag is also a term I'd use. I've also referred to it as contents, goodies, stuff and things. How about The Stuff That People Put In Caches (acronynm TSTPPIC, pronounced test-pic). Hey, I think I'm gonna start using that one. Nobody will know what the heck I'm talking about. Picture in the log "Found the cache, traded TSTPPICs".

Well, I'm just a total newbie here, in fact I just got back from finding my first cache a little bit ago.

In my industry, swag is the stuff we give stage hands after load-in or load-out that has our logo, show logo, etc. - T-shirts and hats mostly.

Sounds perfect to me, especially after seeing the acronym and the mountain bike race note. The Tour de France does a similar thing with sponsors tossing out freebies to the crowds waiting for the riders to show up.