Anyone want an emergency cell phone?

I have a Motorola cell phone that does not have a clear ESN and therefore can't be easily activated. I was using it as a spare battery charger, but I just lost the similar phone I had.

Since it will get 911 connection even without service, I thought someone here may want it to carry as an emergency phone. It's a little beat up, but the battery life is still pretty good.

If you want it, post here then send me an email with your address and I'll send you the phone and charger. Also, if you have an old phone collecting dust, consider giving it to a fellow cacher here.

-Vb

Theole,

I appreciate the reply. I'm aware that there are numberous charities that will take cell phones for 911 use.

The reason I posted it here is that the typical geocacher (who has money to spend on a GPSr and who knows how much in gas money) is not the type of person who would normally benefit from any type of charity organization.

At the same time, I'm sure there are a number of cachers who simply don't have a real need to own a cell phone that have a hard time justifying the cost of a phone for a "what if" scenario. I'd just prefer to give it to someone who shares one of my personal interests.

Again, I appreciate your response and the phone will go to some worthwhile organization if there is no interest here.

-Vb

[This message was edited by Verboten on June 21, 2003 at 12:54 AM.]

I must be the only one in the entire US that still doesn't have a cell phone.

I'll take it. I could leave it in the car for emergencies. I could also take it with me when I go geocaching, hiking, or kayaking in case of an emergency.

Thanks.

If you're depending on a cell phone to save your butt, you shouldn't be out to start with.

I don't own one, I don't intend to own one, 99% of them don't work in regions where I go.

Sat phones are a different story, maybe someday. But if I am owning one of them, it's becasue $1000 is a small price to get help.

Give me a Tall ship, and a Star to steer her bye...

The White Fleet....