Shuttle Columbia Debries

valenrandy

For all geocachers who happen o come across any pieces of this craft please take the cordinates and send them to nasa with brief detailed message.All cache owners in this area affected please if you can look around your cache site to report them in, i belive we should help out in finding out the cause of this mishap to its fullest extent. Regardless of what you think, please dont pick up any of it, just take a reading of it and leave it in place for the authorities. Thank you for your help

ValenRandy03

I'm sure that they have those yellow gps units that i belive are far superior to ours. If we make waypoints out of their(debries) locations and send them to nasa they would atleast know where to look precisly (atleast 10ft accuracy). We geocachers are a very large force with the ability to "know" where we are at all times(with unit in hand) On tv they said the recovery teams were using GPS units to save the locatiojns of debries, they said it as if gps is something elusive that only nasa knows about, like if regular people like us know nothing about? well we do, and we can help.

ValenRandy03

Better know where you are without it too.Do not rely on technology too much...always know who,what,why and most precisely where (are you)I think is the way it goes.

*They are using the same Signals we are...Let no one lead you astray,the decimal points are just smaller.*Nasa is getting all the GIS/GPS,and Ground mapping together for this project something that has been needed done for a long time,it is called Range Moderenization.

When all else fails Geotry again.

Here's the text of the above mentions site who's server is busy:

Robert Mirelson

Headquarters, Washington

Eileen Hawley

Johnson Space Center, Houston

RELEASE: #03-033

NASA ASKS FOR HELP WITH COLUMBIA INVESTIGATION

NASA has established a telephone hotline and electronic mail address for the public to use for reporting information that may help investigators studying today's Space Shuttle mishap.

Anyone who discovers debris from the accident or who has film or video evidence that may be of value to the investigation team is urged to use these contacts. Please avoid contact with any debris, because it may be hazardous as a result of toxic propellants aboard the Shuttle.

Telephone reports should be directed to the following number:

281/483-3388

Text reports and images should be e-mailed to:

columbiaimages@nasa.gov

All debris is U.S. Government property and is critical to the investigation of the mishap. All debris from the accident is to be left alone and reported to Government authorities. Unauthorized persons found in possession of accident debris will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

-end-

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Curiosity got the better of me the other night and I decided to take this radar image of the debris trail and overlay the location of caches in the area. I did the same with a MS Streets & Trips Map showing nearby caches in blue.

Just thought I would share this with you all particularly those that are not familiar with the area like myself.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Great job on the maps, puts it into a bit more perspective. I wonder how long it will be before any searchers find a geocache and report it as a strange piece of debris.

I heard on the news today that some lady called NASA to report that she found an egg yolk on her front porch. When questioned why she would report an egg yolk, she asked, "Didn't they have eggs on the shuttle?"