air travel

icon_wink.gif I have traveled extensivly with my GPS without ever being questioned. With all the electronic devices now being used this is just one more. You may have to turn it on for the screeners, but it appears to be nothing more than another cell phone type device to the screeners.

quote:
Originally posted by wimseyguy:

Just flew R/T from RDu to Newark, NJ with mine and had NP.

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Hey, Wimey! Shoulda let us locals know! We had one of you rednecks (mtn-man) up here geocaching already, we had room in the trunk for one more. icon_biggrin.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Last two flights I had a gps, two palm pilots, battery charger, and digital camera in my carry-on bag.

I fully expected to get asked (at least) why I had all the batteries with me but nary a word.

Bag went through x-ray screening and was handed right back to me....

There is a difference between happiness and wisdom: he that thinks himself the happiest man is really so; but he that thinks himself the wisest is generally the greatest fool. Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

We just did some flying recently, and I had my GPS with me, they x-ray'd my bag twice each time I went through security, and at the Salt Lake City ariport they took it to the special table and rubbed that cotton swab thing on it, but then they said I was fine.

"Damned Infernal Gizmo. My Kingdom for a Left-Handed Can Opener."

-- Mr. Burns, The Simpsons

quote:
Hey, Wimey! Shoulda let us locals know! We had one of you rednecks (mtn-man) up here geocaching already, we had room in the trunk for one more

Hey Mopar- I'm not full redneck, only a 9 year transplant. Grew up just around the corner from you in New Brunswick and Highland Park. Escaped NJ for college and haven't looked back. I'll give you and the Jersey boys a holler the next time I'm up there and have some time for real caching. This weekend was a quickie for a wedding in the city. I did notice you found the Scotsman cache in CP after I failed to do so.

Just remember-you can take the boy out of NJ but you can never get the NJ out of the boy. My wife really hates that. icon_biggrin.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeFamily:

Is OK to have GPSr turned on on the plane? I would think so... except maybe during take off and landing. I think it would be neet to watch your trace route on the plane.

The rules for this depends on which airline you are flying. Some let you and some do not.

I took my GPS, Palm, Electronic Clock and Cell phone loaded all in one compartment. I told the screeners that I had a lot of electronics and made it with no hassles.

My boyfriend has a Garmin 5 and had it on when he went on a long trip. He enjoyed it greatly because of the in depth description of speed, location and altitude. Not sure the airlines approve of this.

Get those shoes X-rayed or be ready to be wanded.

L

As one also responsible for airline security I can tell u that GPS is not a problem. In order to make it easier I do suggest u have any electronics in an outer pocket or be ready to remove them for screeners.Some airports want all electronics out & some are ok with leaving them in carryons.

Wherever you go, there you are!