Cache difficulty preference

pater47

I voted 5/5 but I'd actually prefer more like a 3/5 on the basis that I'd actually like to find it after hiking 10 or more miles or renting special equipment or whatever makes the terrain level a 5. If the difficulty were also a 5, there is a good chance that I may not find it on the first try, which means I'll have to make the trek again. This is where clues are important to me and where I'd like the clue to actually help me find the cache.

I'd also be up for a 5/3, on the other hand. Something that might be hard to find on the difficulty rating, but not as hard to get to. (In case I have to make multiple trips.)

Tyler Slack's Geocaching in Utah

quote:
Originally posted by The:

Why all the even numbers, same on left as on right. What about a 5 (Brain) and 1 (Terrain).

Your choices don't show the whole picture. http://

GPS=GetPeopleSearching

Uh, yeah, I realize that the choices are limited. Putting all the different combinations would be somewhere around 80 different choices. That would make for a wee bit lengthy poll, don't ya think? Just go with whichever is closest. Better yet, qualify your vote with a comment in the thread.

A 5/1 puzzler would be fun for some. However, with my profuse denseness, I'd probably have to set aside a month, not a day icon_razz.gif

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

quote:
Originally posted by The:

Why all the even numbers, same on left as on right. What about a 5 (Brain) and 1 (Terrain).

Your choices don't show the whole picture. http://

GPS=GetPeopleSearching

Uh, yeah, I realize that the choices are limited. Putting all the different combinations would be somewhere around 80 different choices. That would make for a wee bit lengthy poll, don't ya think? Just go with whichever is closest. Better yet, qualify your vote with a comment in the thread.

A 5/1 puzzler would be fun for some. However, with my profuse denseness, I'd probably have to set aside a month, not a day icon_razz.gif

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

Your question does not accurately reflect my reality. I usually make a day of it and try to get as many as I can before sundown. Most caches are so far away that just getting one would be a waste of time.

As for my personal preference on difficulty, I like low difficulty if the terrain is high. I don't mind a tough hike, but I want to find the thing once I'm there. Like I said, I'm usually a long way from home and don't want to have to return.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

Ok, here's the deal. You can go do one cache today. Which one will it be?

1/3 or 1/4 would be great. A chance to stretch the legs after a long drive but no problem finding it once I arrive onsite.

But who am I kidding? I usually end up with a lot of 2.5/2 or 1.5/1.5 anyway.

well I tend to like the difficult ones. although lately I'm feeling a little jaded. Seems there's a lot of the same old cache going on. In many ways I'm resposible for that as I've done several near where I work (for ease of maintainence, mostly) My area is quite built up, and getting worse all the time, so trying to come up with a cache that is unique and inventive and interesting to find is getting progressively difficult, and seeking caches around here is getting a little stale. My ideal seek would be difficult enough to make finally finding it thrilling, but not impossible. That's a fine line, and at bottom a nebulous concept, but that's my answer.

King Pellinore

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

The X/X choices are long, I agree.

How about these:

Easy Cache

Brain Cache (Puzzle)

Brawn Cache (Endurance)

Impossible Cache (Puzzle, Endurance)

'

My family seems to be happy going out to find just about anything, but we seem to have the most fun doing the brain variety.

If I could only go after one, I'd prefer something like a 1/3 or 1/4.

I'm not interested in riddles or math tests... and don't want to spend all day or multiple trips searching.

I DO on the other hand want to get a little exercise in the process. I'd want it to be a MINIMUM of a mile hike in each direction, preferably with at least a hill or two along the way. That said, I'd only want a 3 or 4 for terrain, as I'm getting a little too old (read that: lazy and/or uncoordinated) to try to tackle one that required the ability to grab it quickly as you go past it while falling the last 50 feet to the boulders below.

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

We talked about this either yesterday evening or this morning, I think. My favorite type of caches would likely be something like a 4-5 on difficulty and 3 or so on terrain. I like sneaky hiding spots, puzzles, multis, themed searches, etc. I also enjoy less developed terrain than the standard city park, a somewhat extended hike, maybe even a bit of challenging terrain. However, I'm an out-of-shape fat chick who generally has a 2.5 y.o. child along, so what challenges me physically will be somewhat less than some nice fit person would enjoy.

T-storm

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Me.....I'm some what tired of the typical walk up on caches. I prefer the ones that make you think. I have hidden 3 caches so far, all will make you think. As far as terrain..I prefer easy terrain due to a physical condition.

I think if you create a cache that requires a GPS unit and brain power....you have created the perfect cache! So my vote would be a 1 to 2 terrain and a 4 to 5 difficulty.

Jerry

In some respects it doesn't matter. At this point I've been to all the caches I can get to on my lunch hour so I'm down to targets of opportunity. If it's short and sweet then I'm happy to knock it off my list. If it's a real tuffy, I spend some of the time I'm searching thinking of excuses as to why I'm going to be late coming home. icon_cool.gif

In some respects it doesn't matter. At this point I've been to all the caches I can get to on my lunch hour so I'm down to targets of opportunity. If it's short and sweet then I'm happy to knock it off my list. If it's a real tuffy, I spend some of the time I'm searching thinking of excuses as to why I'm going to be late coming home. icon_cool.gif

I hunt them all, but I would suggest that the more difficult the terrain the happier I am. I dont care so much about the dificulty, but give me rock walls to scale, or a ten mile hike and I love it!

Of course a 1/1 during my lunch hour is fine too!

generally I like a 3-4 / 3-4 ... maybe would prefer 5 difficulty over 5 terrain since I am not in the kind of shape to climb over 14,000 feet altitude, or rock climb even a few hundred feet...

If the 5 terrain is for something as mundane as a boat, then a 5/5 is fine.

I think there ought to be a typical time-to-complete rating on the cache too. Time doesnt really fall clearly under terrain or difficulty. That would give the lunchtime crowd good guidance whether that 3/3 is doable....

I just made my first cache. I used Clayjars questionaire and it came out to a 2-4 which I think is good for me. It's a multi cache the first is a mile hike and you have to do some minor climbing you need a flashlight then it's another couple hundred yds. to the main cache but you have to climb down from the first cache then up to the main. It's very intresting and I don't think it's too physical.

Bob