Negtive Feedbacks

msdark

I thought we were surpose to give negtive feedbacks about certain caches if there were problems with them. Well my question is if a geo-cacher can not handle the negtive things along with the postives things about a cache why are they doing this game. I will not mention no names

but had a little trouble with one cache a couple of weekends ago. Put in the comment and I guess they decided they did not want anyone else to see the negtive comment so they just totally took it off. These comment's were safetly factors. What is the problem. icon_mad.gif

Hey! If I'm not mistaken...We as cache owners only have the option of deleting a log that we find "objectionable...giving away too many clues...bad reflection on the work we did to place a cache..ect". We can't go in an just edit the log with a note that we did that......

If I were you I would e-mail the guy that delelted your log and tell him why you mentioned the safety issues......Maybe now would be a good time ... cooling off...sorry that you were upset by this....

I received 2 logs today on our new cache "Akron Bike Path". People found it but commented that the parking coordinates were off. This I find to be helpful as we will go out and either take a picture of where to park or adjust the coordinates or maybe both........

FYI 3 sets of cachers found our cache yesterday and they all had to brave fileds of earth worms...I'm glad that we placed a blue ribbon for the first finder and nice prizes for the rest...

Hope you have a great caching day today!

Dx

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

Normally, if I would like to see the description of the cache changed, I email the owner asking him to consider my request. I have had good luck going this route. Posting your feelings in the public logs has the potential of offending the owner. I totally support the right of the owner to delete any log they want, for whatever reason.

-WR

"Why worry when you can obsess?"

I think I know the cache to which you are referring. I think you logged after we did. I saw your log, then several days later noticed that it had disappeared.

For what it is worth, I did not find your log objectionable and wondered why it had suddenly disappeared. icon_confused.gif In fact, I had some of the same concerns you expressed because of all of the signs about snakes along the trails, but decided that it was such a well maintained public park that it was probably not a major problem if we stayed on the trails....and, in fact, you do not need to leave the trails to find both parts of this cache.

The only thing I can figure is that the person who hid the cache was afraid it would deter people from seeking his cache. However, I don't think that is sufficient reason for removing your log without discussing it with you first, since you were polite about it and did not say anything incorrect. Perhaps the cache owner will have had second thoughts now that he has had time to reflect on this. It is unfortunate that this has happened, since I think it is one of the best caches we have had the opportunity to hunt so far in this area.

Alchemist2000

P.S. If I am referring to the wrong cache....tell me and let everyone know to ignore my comments!!

icon_smile.gif

alchemist2000.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

Hey! If I'm not mistaken...We as cache owners only have the option of deleting a log that we find "objectionable...giving away too many clues...bad reflection on the work we did to place a cache..ect". We can't go in an just edit the log with a note that we did that......

No, we as cache owners also have the option of encrypting logs. I agree that logs that reveal too much information should be encrypted, and the person who posted the log should be permitted an opportunity to edit the log. If the person hasn't removed the offending material after a reasonable amount of time, then perhaps the cache owner has just cause to delete the log.

But cache owners shouldn't use the "delete" key as a means of covering up their oversights or errors. Those too are part of a cache's history.

quote:
Originally posted by msdark:

I thought we were surpose to give negtive feedbacks about certain caches if there were problems with them. Well my question is if a geo-cacher can not handle the negtive things along with the postives things about a cache why are they doing this game. I will not mention no names

but had a little trouble with one cache a couple of weekends ago. Put in the comment and I guess they decided they did not want anyone else to see the negtive comment so they just totally took it off. These comment's were safetly factors. What is the problem. icon_mad.gif

Depends on how you offer you critisims.

Were you tactfull or not?

I can handle negtive feedbacks about my caches but personal attacks I will delete.

- Lone Rangers

quote:
Originally posted by Lone Rangers:

quote:
Originally posted by msdark:

Depends on how you offer you critisims.

Were you tactfull or not?

I can handle negtive feedbacks about my caches but personal attacks I will delete.

- Lone Rangers

very good point, i agree

I know that I have deleted comments that made the cache seem much more dangerous than it really was - just a big ol' misunderstanding. It upset a lot of people, to the point where Jeremy asked us to archive it. We explained the situation, modified the description then emailed the cacher. He chose to go ahead and log the cache as a find anyway without actually visiting it - just to get it off his 'watch list'. We let it go - for the sake of peace.

At least people aren't afraid to go looking for it anymore.

One other log entry was VERY revealing - offering the information that was in my decrypted hint. I encrypted the whole thing and emailed him explaining that I can't selectively encrypt parts of his log, but if he wanted to, he could unencrypt portions of it through editing and brackets. No objections from him.

As far as safety issues go, I think it is the responsibility of the cache owner to disclose potentially dangerous conditions. I remarked once about a pretty steep cliff that I almost experienced gravity on. Finders usually don't take the same paths as the hiders to get to the cache. One could argue that snakes, poision ivy, etc. are possible at ANY cache that isn't in a concrete jungle. But, it is nice to know when they've been sighted. It also makes for neat log reading. icon_biggrin.gif

I hope I don't die geocaching. Aw, heck. If I do, I'll post the coordinates of my gravemarker. icon_smile.gif

---------------

Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I also had safety concerns about a particlar geocache. Even though this didn't get the results I would like to have seen, I would still do the same...

1. E-mail the cache owner directly.

2. After a week of not hearing from the owner, posting a comment on the cache page.

My comment also got deleted.

I would also welcome suggestions.