Cachers into shooting sports

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

Thank you for weighing in and giving direction regarding acceptable discussion. I appreciate it, and I suspect others here do, too.

The avatars are personal things, but are far more interesting when changed from time to time. Statements? Of course they are. Provocative? Sometimes, sometimes not. That would be fodder for a different thread, I think. icon_wink.gif

--------------------

You have the right to defend yourself, even when geocaching!

Well said.

Others??? Don't speak for me. I'd rather kiss a$$ and not get banned. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

I knew that was coming....tone be a mofo just like word of mouth.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

icon_biggrin.gifI don't understand this gun thing I guess. I'm pretty sure that if I asked a question about a GPSr on one of the gun forums I belong to that someone would try to help me. I like shooting, I like geocaching, I buy the stuff that goes with the things I like (when I can afford them). Sometimes I just like to talk about them with folks who also like them. I guess some 'things' just make people nervous. I know that spelunking would push me over the edge. I can not for the life of me understand why anyone in their right mind would want to crawl hundreds of feet under the ground. GPSr don’t work down there. I saw the thread on caves and decided not to open it……

What are you looking for?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 1911:

I haven't hunted in years due to the difficulty finding a spot to do it in this god foresaken state.I was lured to geocaching just for what it is.

I am an avid USPSA/IPSC competitor,nothing quite like run and gun shooting for me.

Which god-forsaken state? There are so many to choose from!

--------------------

There are actually 51 I think. If you count the one I live in most of the time, confusion.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by southdeltan:

I hope this doesn't turn into a flame filled anti/pro thread. icon_frown.gif

I give it one page before someone goes crying to a Mod that we're talking about Something Forbidden.

icon_rolleyes.gif

--------------------

Ditto

When in doubt...hit it with a big hammer.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by 1911:

I haven't hunted in years due to the difficulty finding a spot to do it in this god foresaken state.I was lured to geocaching just for what it is.

I am an avid USPSA/IPSC competitor,nothing quite like run and gun shooting for me.

Which god-forsaken state? There are so many to choose from!

--------------------

That would be the peoples republic of Kalifornia

...on a side note,I like my avatar pic, if you don't? tough ****!(not directed at any one in particular)

quote:
Originally posted by Titus2_13:

icon_biggrin.gifI don't understand this gun thing I guess. I'm pretty sure that if I asked a question about a GPSr on one of the gun forums I belong to that someone would try to help me. I like shooting, I like geocaching, I buy the stuff that goes with the things I like (when I can afford them). Sometimes I just like to talk about them with folks who also like them. I guess some 'things' just make people nervous. I know that spelunking would push me over the edge. I can not for the life of me understand why anyone in their right mind would want to crawl hundreds of feet under the ground. GPSr don’t work down there. I saw the thread on caves and decided not to open it……

As a matter of fact, it was in a shooting (hunting, actually) related forum where I first asked about GPSRS, and was politely given lots of info.

I don't recall anyone there calling me names and questioning my character for wanting to use more than just a compass and a map. I guess people just don't feel a need to lash out against things they are not threatened by.

I do find it interesting how whenever guns are mentioned here (or in a lot of places, FTM) there are a handful of folks just jumping to criticise those who dare to admit that they have one. And the name-calling is entirely predictable.

Anyway...I doubt that I will say much about guns themselves here any more. But I will certainly talk about GPSRs on the shooting and hunting forums....

Oh - I concur with Southdeltan. I checked "other"

"...clear as mud?"

As Jeremy stated, i'm an expert marksman myself. Have been for the last 20 years. All my jobs have included the carrying of weapons with weapons training from the finest. I've owned a gun or two myself. It's never been a big deal to me to have one. The latest one I had owned was a Glock 9mm, that I bought for one job that I was supposed to go to a certain training for that never happened. Before moving from the Augusta, Georgia area to New England, I gave it to my dad. The neighborhood they have lived in for over 25 yrs has gone down hill and he could use it more than the top shelf of my closet could, just sitting there. Plus the fact of having to deal with different laws in different states, it was just not worth it. I can always get another one down the road if I choose to do so. I don't have a problem with anyone carrying one legally at all. Most states have some sort of system to keep every joeschmoe from carrying one. Some states don't. But my feelings of carrying one just because I can or want to rather than there's a direct threat to me, I don't agree with. I could almost agree to carrying one in certain areas while caching, but even then I have a hard time with it. Many hikers hike everyday in Mountain Lion and Bear country without them. Many people live in those areas and don't carry them. The chance of being in the woods alone and getting attacked by one is slim. If you do get attacked and have a gun, then your chance of actually drawing it and firing it successfully and on target and stopping the threat are slim as well.

But like I stated, if you feel there's a threat against your life and you are licensed and trained, then by all means.

I can see target shooting and hunting as hobbies. But I can't see that carrying a gun on your side as one. My question is do the people that place the caches carry one out when they placed the cache? If so, do they make mention on the cache page that it's in a rough enough or dangerous place that you might wanna pack some heat?

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Back to answer the question at hand:

I believe it is a geek thing.

The Hunting and fishing lend them selves to the GPS technology. I first started to use a GPS in my drift boat so that I would not pass a hole in the dark. However it is great for finding that great little place you found last year that was packed with Partridge. icon_smile.gif

Happy hunting (Pun intended)

My Son summed it up Best. More Treasure Daddy Find More!

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

McKee, you a Meat Cutter?

Nope. The pin in the avatar was on Criminal's home site under the heading "What is this?" I figured out that it was probably a guild crest for a butcher, and tracked it down online. I'd saved the image and thought it would make an interesting avatar.

--------------------

This space for rent! Ask about our easy layaway plan!

I shoot. I shoot WAAAYYYY more than I geocache.

When I was a small boy, my father was a policeman in chicago. I learned about the dangers of the big city early. We survived the 1968 Con-Con riots while my dad was in another part of the city doing his job. A number of shots were fired in home-defense. I was 13. We had MANY guns. Not a one of them EVER attacked anyone in the family.

I joined the Army 6 years later. I was always an Expert shot with any assigned weapon. The U. S. Government thought even at the age of 19 that I was trustworthy enough to have automatic weapons. I fired thousands of rounds in training. I fired thousands more giving training over my 20 year career. I fired hundreds of rounds in combat defending my home again - my nation. My son now carries on the defense - a Cavalry Scout in IRAQ. Army_Scout.

BTW - I used both guns and GPSrs in the army, so there is the tie for me. While I no longer -officially- teach marksmanship, I still teach land navigation and survival to ROTC cadets.

I retired 8 years ago and started another career in electronics. But I still shoot. I own several rifles and pistols. I don't hunt. I quit hunting after Gulf War I. I can no longer pull the trigger on an innocent animal. Given a proper reason however, "OTHER" targets will be neutralized without trouble. Given a proper reason.

I shoot 150 to 200 rounds of rifle in matches every month. My sport, NRA high-power rifle. My weapon, an AR-15A2 national match. Very much like my battle-rifle in the army. My class... well, if I keep going like I am, I might make Master class next spring. I dry-fire 50 rounds of 200 yard off-hand (standing) almost every night. Practice Practice Practice !!!!!

I shoot 400 - 800 rounds of pistol in matches every month. My sport, USPSA/IPSC pistol, COMBAT ACTION PISTOL if you will. My weapon, a Ruger KP-89 9mm. My class, well... C-class on a good day. Pistol is not my best, nor is it my first choice for a fight. Rather get them at 600 yards, instead of close-range. Still, C-class is probably better than 98% of the country, including the police. Practice Practice Practice !!!!!

I am licensed to carry in Texas. Not only does the Federal Govt still trust me, but so does the state of Texas. I passed all the checks. Not even a traffic ticket in the last 20 years. Record squeeky-clean. I do not carry ALL THE TIME. But I do carry often enough. Do you know when I am not? That is the beauty of concealed carry. Criminals won't take the chance, so they go elsewhere. Places where guns are not allowed. Like NY, LA, DC, Canada, Great Britain, Australia. El Paso was the 3rd safest city this year. Where did all the criminals go?

I am a member of The National Rifle Association, United States Practical Shooting Association, Fort Bliss Practical shooters Club, Franklin Mountain Gun Club, Texas State Rifle Association, and Gun Owners of America.

What bothers me most is people like seneca who are foaming in the mouth phobic against my hobby because -I MIGHT- do something. But when they do their hobby, in this case flying around making noise, wasting fuel, and polluting the skys, that is OK. What makes me happiest, is that folks like that are in the minority, and the polls are showing it! Wonder why democrats won't say the words "Gun Control" anymore? Ask Al.

dadgum... I wrote a book! Yep... I shoot Waaayyyy more than I geocache.

It is legal. I am licensed. Get over it or get lost.

Anyone else here shoot? icon_biggrin.gif

Y-all have a GREAT day!!!

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Real quick.... CHICAGO (a place I left and will not return to) has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Two professors from the University of Chicago weigh in on multiple-murders using guns. Interesting facts.

READ IT HERE.

Jeremy locked THIS THREAD but I must admit he did it in an amusing way! icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

Desert Warrior.

Seems like you spend more time patting yourself on your back and boasting about all your accomplishments than you do in answering the topic. This whole forum sounds like a bunch of schoolyard children trying to convince themselves, and each other, as to how bad they are.

Are you trying to over-compensate for some other shortcoming.

A better philosophy would be: Beware the one who walks and talks softly, fore he is the one confident in his ways.

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

Real quick.... CHICAGO (a place I left and will not return to) has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the nation. Two professors from the University of Chicago weigh in on multiple-murders using guns. Interesting facts.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/otherviews/cst-edt-ref29.html

Jeremy locked http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=16660528 but I must admit he did it in an amusing way! icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

Thanks for the article DW.

The liberal media always focuses on gun violence committed by criminals. They will never report how many lives law-abiding citizen gun owners save.

Too many people in this country are so willing to give up their hard fought freedoms. Once there gone, you won’t get them back.

GF

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

logo_small.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team Og Rof A Klaw:

There seem to be quite a few shooters here. What do you suppose the connection is?

_All who wander are not lost._

I answered "other" but now I'm thinking "geek thing" may have been the right choice for me:

I like technology. I like the engineering of guns, and of the GPS system.

I like the control and power implicit in being able to harness billion dollar satellites, thousands of miles away to find a little hidden box that I choose to look for and

I like the control and power implicit in being able to harness the mechanical and chemical energy in a firearm to put a clean hole right on the 'X' hundreds of yards away.

ApK

quote:

...Jeremy locked http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=4016058331&m=16660528 but I must admit he did it in an amusing way! icon_biggrin.gif

So he did. And I bear no resentment over it. I thought it was cute.

Ah well, not about guns - but more to the question...

Fact is, I managed to get myself lost one day while hunting. Not lost like "how in the heck will I ever find my way", but more like "how will I avoid a very long walk and a wasted day". Without going in to boring detail about the whys and wherefores, I decided a GPSr would be a good idea. Mostly, it would be a time saver.

So here is where I researched to decide which unit to buy. The GPSr is still first and foremost a navigation tool for me - not the centerpiece of it's own sport. But this is a great way to become familiar with it's use - and inexpensive entertainment, besides.

So...Hunting = traveling outdoors = navigation = GPSrs (that is, if you're interested in saving time).

"...clear as mud?"

quote:

Poll Question:

quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinate:

Desert Warrior.

Seems like you spend more time patting yourself on your back and boasting about all your accomplishments than you do in answering the topic. This whole forum sounds like a bunch of schoolyard children trying to convince themselves, and each other, as to how bad they are.

A better philosophy would be: Beware the one who walks and talks softly, fore he is the one confident in his ways.

Poll Question:

There seem to be quite a few shooters here. What do you suppose the connection is?

Hmmmm.... I posted the poll question above. He asked what the connection between caching and guns was. Thought I answered it pretty well. Does the fact that I HAVE accomplished what I have intimidate you? All it takes is practice, nothing to it.

The fact that this is your first post, and you are already going after someone tells me a lot about you. TROLL? SOCK PUPPET? Inconsequential for my thoughts in any case.

If this is the best you can do, perhaps it is your shortcoming. Why don't you post this under your real name, or is that another shortcoming?

TROll? SOCK PUPPET? I think not. FLY is a better word. You know what flies do!

El Paso, Texas.

quote:
Originally posted by Doc-Dean:

I used to compete in IPSC several years ago but now I have no idea if there is any competitions here locally... do they have a web site?

Yes they do!

CLICK HERE.

Enjoy!

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

quote:

Poll Question:

quote:

Desert Warrior.

Poll Question:

Hmmmm.... I posted the poll question above. He asked what the connection between caching and guns was. Thought I answered it pretty well. Does the fact that I HAVE accomplished what I have intimidate you? All it takes is practice, nothing to it.

The fact that this is your first post, and you are already going after someone tells me a lot about you. TROLL? SOCK PUPPET? Inconsequential for my thoughts in any case.

If this is the best you can do, perhaps it is your shortcoming. Why don't you post this under your real name, or is that another shortcoming?

TROll? SOCK PUPPET? I think not. FLY is a better word. You know what flies do!

El Paso, Texas.

I've read most of your drivel but unlike you I don't feel the need to boast about my accomplishments. I've been there, done that, and have the medals and scars to prove it. It's funny you know about sock puppets. You probably used one to attain some personal satisfaction when you were a nubie crying in your rack.

Drop the warrior act and just go about your business.

I choose not to post my name so I don't have to worry about some psycho who can't take consideration coming to pay me a visit while my back is turned. Even then, I would most likely prevail.

As my mentor Col Jeff Cooper said. "Always condition yellow, it's much easier to go to red when you need it.

quote:

I choose not to post my name

Yep......... FLY it is!

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

Cage Warrior.

OK You win. After reading your profile, looking at the picture of you and your pooch, and SOF pose. I will leave you alone to lick your shortcomings.

You know what a cage warrior is don't you????????

Doooood! Sooo not cool. icon_rolleyes.gif

Welcome to geocaching and the forums. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

As my mentor Col Jeff Cooper said. "Always condition yellow, it's much easier to go to red when you need it.

OKAY THAT DOES IT!

I don't think JC would want his name bandied by an internet troll.

Post something relevant about geocaching and I might think your future posts aren't to be ignored on sight. So far, your only posts are on the attack on this thread. TROLL!

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Doooood! Sooo not cool. icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for the back-up Snoog... but he/she/it isn't worth it. You know what flies do.... they eat dung and bother people.... till they get swatted. As I and you both noticed, his/her/its only posts have been attacks. Clear enough for me. He/she/it has "been there done that has the scars", yet... "have to worry about some psycho who can't take consideration coming to pay me a visit while my back is turned"

What can I add? Thanks for the back-up. BTW, I love your latest avatar! And I can't even guess what you are! icon_biggrin.gif

El Paso, Texas.

quote:

I choose not to post my name so I don't have to worry about some psycho who can't take consideration coming to pay me a visit while my back is turned. Even then, I would most likely prevail.

If you think the posturing is silly, posturing back sort of undercuts your message. More importantly, why bother trolling for the reaction? If it's a personal thing, it seems that engaging in trolling is going to get you as heated up as you hope to get him/them/whomever. Seems like a lot of wasted emotional enegry you're putting out toward someone you don't care for, energy that could be better enjoyed with friends, family, etc.

A joke only 4 or 5 people here might enjoy: What wears a monacle and is covered with bloody bits of toilet paper?

Col. Cooper, shaving with his back to the mirror.

I heard that in an Ayoob class a few years ago. icon_wink.gif

--------------------

quote:

Thanks for the back-up Snoog... but he/she/it isn't worth it.

Well, I think it's a "he," because I have never heard a "she" invoke Jeff Cooper's name. Funny thing though. This "he" seems to be crabby and retaining water. Wonder if it's his monthly callin... icon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

quote:

I heard that in an Ayoob class a few years ago. icon_wink.gif

Now, there's an interesting character. I have quite enjoyed his stories.

I dream of going to Thunder Ranch though. I almost got my boss talked into paying for it.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

Now, there's an interesting character. I have quite enjoyed his stories.

I dream of going to Thunder Ranch though. I almost got my boss talked into paying for it.

I wish I had a boss like that!

--------------------

The response from Peregrinate is why these forums get closed down. If you have been there done that and have the scars to prove it I appalude you, you deserve my respect. When you belittle someone else on the forum for what they have accomplished then you lower yourself to a troll and therefore lose all respect. I myself am an expert marksman with a ar15 and can hit the broad side of a barn with a colt 45,(the gun not the beer can, my throwing arm ain't what it used to be). I like skeet shooting but hate trap, probably because I cannot shoot things running away just side to side or towards me. I have never shot in comp like DW but I appalude his dedication to the sport, pratice pratice pratice. As a home defense weapon a 12 gauge works well.

I see your lips moving but all I hear is blah blah blah