Wow 75,000 paying members

k2dave

From

http://www.heraldnet.com/Stories/02/11/5/16012971.cfm

quote:

accounts can be purchased for $30 a year. There are about 75,000 paying members

Didn't know it was so big. This thing has really grown. Was there any opportunities to invest offered?

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

I was at my bosses for lunch and there was a Boys Life Magazine sitting on the counter which is a Boy Scout mag which his kids are in. I picked it up and started looking at it when I found an artical on Geocaching. I took the Mag but haven't had time to read the article yet. I thought it was cool that it was in there.

Here is a link site but you can't read the article there so it may be usless.

But yes, its very interesting. In one of the pictures there is an ammo box with the Geocaching.com on it.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

2.25mil/year may sound like a lot, but I imagine its just enough for geocaching.com to grow and operate as it is.

Bandwidth, servers, employees, benefits, office space, supplies, etc. all add up to a pretty significant chunk of change icon_smile.gif

I'm glad to hear that enough support is coming in that the site should continue to expand and prosper.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I was at my bosses for lunch and there was a Boys Life Magazine sitting on the counter which is a Boy Scout mag which his kids are in. I picked it up and started looking at it when I found an artical on Geocaching. I took the Mag but haven't had time to read the article yet. I thought it was cool that it was in there.

I'll have to see if I can borrow this months issue from my my friends boy. icon_smile.gif

78185_800.gif

[This message was edited by GeoIA on November 08, 2002 at 11:25 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

I'll have to see if I can borrow this months issue from my my friends boy. icon_smile.gif

Hmmm 7,500 or 75,000 I wonder which one it is.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave

As of just a few minutes ago, there are a total of 83,812 registered members on geocaching.com. As we all know, there are a bunch of folks that are registered on the site, but that does not make them paying members. The article is just plain wrong. Keep in mind that a large percentage of those 83,812 ID's are not even used. There are a ton of folks that register and then don't use the accounts. Also, what is the percentage of subscribers (paid members) to non-paying members? Pretty low, I'd guess.

I have no idea what the actual number of subscribers is, but I'd guess that the 7,500 number is certainly closer than the 75,000 number. Frankly, 7,500 may even be high.

As an aside, the 22,232 number is the number of registered users on the forum, not the geocaching.com site.

Scott / Brokenwing

-There's a thin line between geocaching and walking in circles like an idiot.-

I know this is out of subject, but before I bought my GPS, I never heard of Geocaching anywhere! It almost reminds me of the movie 'Fight Club' how this sport is so hidden. The sport is underground until you actually want to do research about it, or stumble upon that little picture of a geocache in your Garmin waypoint labels (like I did).