Members only caches / Paypal

Gloom

Ok, heres something that kinda sucks. I signed up for the year charter membership about a year ago. Since then I've lost the credit card that I signed up on paypal with, and don't have access to the email that I signed up with either. I don't remember the correct answers to verification questions (I know, my fault) so I can't get in to change my account.

Well enough history... today I noticed something weird while looking at my posts in the DG, it no longer says Charter Member next to my avatar, just Geocacher. Ok, so my membership expired and paypal can't automatically bill me since they don't have my new card number (that's a good thing). I suppose I didn't get a notice since my PayPal email is no longer valid. Then a thought occured to me. So I check on one of my existing Members Only caches. Sure enough, I can't access it.

Isn't it kind of counter productive to not let the owner of a cache see the page even if it's a MOC and the owner is no longer a member? It's now impossible for me to check up/edit my cache page or to edit/delete the logs if need be.

Admins, is there a way we can change this? I suppose the easy way would be to make owners MOCs become regular caches when their membership expires, but that doesn't seem right. I'd like to see it be that an owner can access their cache whether they are a member or not.

Now... do I want to renew my membership? Other than supporting Jeremy et. al. and access to MOCs I don't see much in the way of benefits.

Gloom

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

just the hope that it'll keep pop-up ads from showing up on the site was enough of a reason for me to spend the $$....there's only like 1 MOC anywhere close to me.

on your cache, the only thing that really feels "right" to me would be that after a "grace period" to allow a member to renew, their MOCs revert to normal caches if they don't renew...

I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should happen to get back before I return, please ask me to wait.

I have just the opposite situation. I manually renewed for another year two days before my subscription expired and then two days later paypal auto renewed me again. Say I payed $60.00 for this year. Maybe I will have this figured out by next year. It seems to be very confusing as to how and when to renew.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.

15777_2200.gif

If you want, Gloom, I will change your MOC's to regular caches so you can see them. This is a question that goes beyond what a cache approver admin can do, but I can see the cache and change the status so you can see it. Just post a message here or click my name and send me an email and I will change them for you. (You may want them to stay MOC's for some reason, so I will not just do it without your permission.)

I posted a couple MOC's to try and encourage membership, and there was no action on that end.

So I opened them up. They got hit right away.

Now, I will put a couple more MOC's out, and they will sit and rot until some M's do them.

People take for granted this site, it's capabilities, the costs and time involved in running it etc... I don't mean to say we should close the door on *free* geocaching, but I maintain that some features should become for subscriber's only, including the ability to upload photos.

canadazuuk

It only took us about 1 month to deciede we were totally hooked. We dished up the money to help support the site and we will also be putting some caches for everyone out there....but most will be members only. There are currently no members only caches in my part of the state....and only one in the state I know of....but I feel all of us can do our part to help the site by being more proactive ourselves. I also got involved in our states orginazation and help there. It currently is a no charge site, and no plans to add a charge......but we support it with donations, and help at the socials and activities they put on. If good people don't do what they can to help out.....bad things will be the outcome because money will eventually become an issue to keeping things running.

We're going on a treasure hunt...we're not quite sure just where...but with our trusty GPS, we'll find a cache stashed there!!

By Daughter Cheryl

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

If you want, Gloom, I will change your MOC's to regular caches so you can see them. This is a question that goes beyond what a cache approver admin can do, but I can see the cache and change the status so you can see it. Just post a message here or click my name and send me an email and I will change them for you. (You may want them to stay MOC's for some reason, so I will not just do it without your permission.)

Please go ahead and change them to normal caches.

----

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.