Is it OK to log your own locationless cache ?

You get credit for creating the cache. Your "find" should be used as an example in the cache description and not logged as a find. A moving cache is different because you have no idea where it is. Your "find" for a locationless is the place that sparked the idea for the cache. It's just like getting the coordinates for a regular cache. They didn't find the cache, they had to get the coordinates to hide it. You had to have something in mind to start the cache. 1 cache = 1 added number to cache count (found OR hidden).

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

Personally I would not log my own. But I also would not think less of a person that did. After all it isn't like you know the location of the cache. You would have to work just as hard to find it as I would.

So do what you are comfortable doing. After all it isn't cheating if there isn't a winner anyway, right?

I hear voices.....and they don't like you!

Months ago I did it but I wasn't sure about it. I brought the idea up to the forum before I did it and the consensus was that it was ok for my case due to the circumstances. I logged it and referenced it and linked to the forum discussion.

I haven't logged a locationless cache in months until last week. It's getting to be such a long drive between caches.

But recently the cache hiders have been busy locally so I have nothing to worry about.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

In my experience, most people who log locationless caches are so desperate for "credit" they'll do anything.

Perhaps, if they do it on the area, which has great cache density. But here where i live, we have VERY FEW traditional caches. Personally, I don't want to stop this hobby just because i have no new traditional caches to find, so that's why i log locationless ones. On the other hand, soon i don't have here any more locationless caches to find as the geocaching.com administrators have tightened the rules... icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Morgan&Family:

Perhaps, if they do it on the area, which has great cache density. But here where i live, we have VERY FEW traditional caches. Personally, I don't want to stop this hobby just because i have no new traditional caches to find, so that's why i log locationless ones. On the other hand, soon i don't have here any more locationless caches to find as the geocaching.com administrators have tightened the rules... icon_frown.gif

Sounds like you are the guy to up the cache count in your area. Why no put your efforts into hiding more?

smiles_63.gif ---Real men cache in shorts.

quote:
Originally posted by Nurse Dave & LKay:

Sounds like you are the guy to up the cache count in your area. Why no put your efforts into hiding more?

In fact, that's what i'm doing right now icon_smile.gif

Now i have hidden 12 caches, and i'm still gonna hide 8 more. As we have 123 caches and 266 geocachers in Finland at the moment, i think i've done my part icon_wink.gif

I think it is OK for a cacher to log a moving cache that he created. After all, the owner did not hide it in it's current location.

I think its OK to log one's own locationless cache as long as 1) it has been hidden for a while and 2) it is not in the cache owner's area. I feel that these qualifications are important as it ensures that the cache wasn't created simply to boost the owner's numbers.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

Generally, when one creates a locationless cache, they give an example of the thing they are looking for and often include a photo. That way, other cachers know what they are looking for and know the rules for an acceptable log.

It seems that a person logging their own caches (locationless or otherwise) is either doing it to generate stats or doing it out of ignorance.

sbell111 and Dinoprophet seem to think like i do. I've made 3 locationless caches so far:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=40161

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=35899

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=34185

The first two ones ("Meteor crater" and "Milk platform" are so difficult that i must have either a lot of extra money or good luck to log them. The third one, "Birdwatching tower" is the only one, as far as i know, that exists in my normal geocaching area. So i guess i could log the first two ones, if i ever find them and perhaps also the third one, when it's not in my usual geocaching area.