Geocaching: Advertise?

quote:
Originally posted by garrettmaster1:

Does the thought of advertising the sport of geocaching ever cross your mind? What do you think about the matter.

OH and what are "doots"? (umc)

Doots.

I don't advertise geocaching really... I prefer to let it grow at its own pace, without me forcing it upon anyone else. I might get one of those license plate holder things though. icon_smile.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

Personally I don't like the thought of advertising but that could be do to the fact that I'm paranoid about everything and anything. huh...whaaa..... did you hear that? Anyway, I think its good in the fact that it would draw more people to the sport/hobby/fun/whatever you call it. On the flip side I think it could do harm in the fact that maybe it would draw too much negative attention to where it harms geocaching.

As far as doots go do a search and you will truely find that they are not just for breakfast anymore.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

I agree with RT.

The subject of media coverage came up at our sparsely-attended Mid-south Hotwing Gathering, and I suggested that a newspaper article would do little more than get a bunch of people interested in geocaching for about a week and then forget about it, leaving the rest of us with a bunch of abandoned caches.

No one else at the gathering offered an opinion, and none of them expressed agreement or disagreement with my statement. Just so you know.

Jamie

Ok, scratch the search, its already been done by the kind Toe.

TV, not sure that it hasn't been advertised on there before. Can't think of the details because I'm tired but I think that has come up a couple of times along with news articles and magazine articles. As a matter of fact I got a 'boys life' mag from my boss and it had a article in there on geocaching. 'boys life' is a Boy Scout mag. I think thats the name of it anyway.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

My friends and I had a public access TV show in Columbus several years ago... if I were still doing that, I'd probably actually do a show devoted to geocaching. I think the hobby would be better served by a longer amount of tv exposure, explaining everything, maybe going on a search or two - rather than just a short blurb about geocaching and a flashing url for everyone to visit. Hmm... almost makes me wanna throw together a half hour of info.

If anyone is in the Columbus Ohio area, perhaps you remember "Squirtman" or "This Show Sucks" which were shown a few times a week on ACTV / Community 21. Those shows were really bad... but it was fun to do. icon_razz.gif

icon_biggrin.gif But it looks like the public access studio was shut down anyway. icon_frown.gif )

I can think of lots of reasons not to advertise. One reason is the expense to the website. Here's an example to explain my thinking..... My husband works for an airline, new owner of the company came in, set up lots of new contracts, purchased lots of airplanes, hired lots of employees.......people quit flying....airline stuck with too many planes, too much overhead, too many employees.....bankruptcy soon followed. Like someone else already mentioned......folks would sign up, play it for a month, then there'd be a big drop off. There's alot to be said for growing at a slower pace.......

Also.....and I don't want to sound greedy here, but I don't want to have to stand in line to log a cache.

And, while I don't think that geocaching damages the environment too much now, I do believe that if you get too many people all at once, it may do some damage. I have seen some caches where trails have been worn into ground making it somewhat obvious where they are.......i think with alot more people, one wont need a GPS anymore to find them..........

Thats my $1.57.....worth about .02cents in todays economy.

worried.gif Children are natural mimics who act like their parents despite every effort to teach them good manners.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

I agree with RT.

The subject of media coverage came up at our sparsely-attended Mid-south Hotwing Gathering, and I suggested that a newspaper article would do little more than get a bunch of people interested in geocaching for about a week and then forget about it, leaving the rest of us with a bunch of abandoned caches.

No one else at the gathering offered an opinion, and none of them expressed agreement or disagreement with my statement. Just so you know.

Jamie

Ooh, sorry Jamie. We thought you were just mumbling to yourself. Again. I thought you were saying something about the hot wings being too mild.

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

Advertising will probably introduce a whole lot more georaiders, geobusters, and geopirates. Along with people who will abandon caches after losing interest. Geocaching is a fast growing sport, I don't think it needs much help.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

Last night I was watching CSI (taped) and I thought, "Gee, finding a dead body with a GPS could make an interesting episode. Follow their tracks. Maybe find out they were a geocacher. Read their logs."

CSI Tech 1: "Apparently he was a geocacher."

CSI Tech 2: "Geocacher? What's that?"

Then have someone explain it.

Lars Thorwald are you listening?

geospotter

Geocaching has been on TV! A while ago TECH TV done a segment on Geocaching. I’m surprised some of you high tech junkies didn’t see it. Go here and you can even see a video clip of the show. They have hidden two caches and they are posted on Tech TV’s website but I don’t think they are listed here on geocaching.com I did a search for the coords but they didn’t show.

[This message was edited by Rusty O Junk on December 07, 2002 at 07:22 AM.]

In Sept one of the local network stations did a small piece on geocaching for their news show. It was pretty good and informative, but didn't stir much interest. So sometimes, even being on TV doesn't help. On the other hand, it was pretty cool to see the local group (MOOG) get some advertising.

-Jennifer

Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else. (JM Barrie)