Deleting "Found It" logs

geofred

I noticed that several of my logs of found Virtual caches set by one particular cacher have been deleted and therefore no longer appear on my cache page as found. I am certain I annoyed this cacher in an extended exchange about setting caches on county parks land. This appears to be his retaliation.

Clearly it is not in the spirit of geocaching, at least as I understand it, but is there anything that can be done?

no, at this point. you could try just posting a note, but this person will probly delete anything you post because he/she doesnt like you.

of course you could write jeremy about it but why? im sure he's busy with more important things.

you know you found those caches, and so does the cache hider, the only difference is that your found count is a little lower.

btw- if this person is or has placed caches where they have aren't supposed to be you should request they be archived.

whack.gif

It can be a royal bummer at times, but people have every right act childish. I suppose if they have found any of your caches you could delete that persons logs from your caches, but I think it would make a better statement if you didn't.

It is silly what people will do sometimes because of feelings, but it is their cache they can do what they want with it.

Of course it might be nice if all the other cachers who found those caches were to delete their logs so that your count would be in balance.

A = A

If you're certain that you fulfilled the requirements of the virtuals, then this is wrong.

There are a lot of small minded and petty people in the world and unfortunately some Geocache.

There was a thread a few weeks ago where a Geocacher had 40 some legit finds of his deleted repeatedly by the cache owner. It seems that they had a falling out, so the cache owner, who is either 10 years old, or acts like it, started playing games with the guys finds.

Unfortunately, there is not much you can do about it. I know the cache owner that I reffered to above eventually had his name published and received a mountain of unflattering e-mails from other Geocachers, but that didn't solve anything.

But - if you're really worried about your "find count" being off, post a bunch of finds on an archived cache someplace (with the owner's permission) with comments explaining why. You won't get credit for the CORRECT caches, but your count would be right. If find counts matter. If not, just forget it.

25021_1200.gif

Since you were the first to do the deletion of finds, I just followed suit. Trouble was you had more to lose, 4 to 1, and they were not all virtuals either. Also you must be lost or misconstrued. Coyote Ridge belongs to Ft. Collins, Larimer County Parks has no control over that area and doesn't even own it. Have you mentioned that you still have SIX finds that I haven't deleted. And if your worried about your count why has it taken you EIGHT months to notice your finds were deleted. And why didn't you log your find on 8/24, I even brought the Cache to you!!

And I have deleted my find for BTP, don't need it!!

Go ahead and log your deleted caches, you seem to need some numbers for some unknown reason!! icon_confused.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of the moutain tops.

Since you were the first to do the deletion of finds, I just followed suit. Trouble was you had more to lose, 4 to 1, and they were not all virtuals either. Also you must be lost or misconstrued. Coyote Ridge belongs to Ft. Collins, Larimer County Parks has no control over that area and doesn't even own it. Have you mentioned that you still have SIX finds that I haven't deleted. And if your worried about your count why has it taken you EIGHT months to notice your finds were deleted. And why didn't you log your find on 8/24, I even brought the Cache to you!!

And I have deleted my find for BTP, don't need it!!

Go ahead and log your deleted caches, you seem to need some numbers for some unknown reason!! icon_confused.gif

Tahosa - Dweller of the moutain tops.

quote:
Originally posted by Tahosa:

Since you were the first to do the deletion of finds, I just followed suit. Trouble was you had more to lose, 4 to 1, ...

Since you've brought the world into your dispute, I'm going to wade in with a neutral observation and opinion. I don't know the details of your dispute, so I'm not choosing sides. I offer the following as guidelines I'm pretty sure are accepted/practiced by the vast majority here. The geocaching community can correct me if they think I'm off base.

1. It is appropriate to delete "found it" logs if the finder did not meet the posted requirements (for a virtual cache) or actually find the cache. Just "getting close" or arriving at the posted coordinates doesn't count. If there is a log, it should be signed as evidence you "found it".

2. It is not appropriate to delete legitimate "found it" logs out of spite, as "tit for tat" because your own logs at another cache were deleted, or just because you don't happen to like the finder. Cache ownership confers the responsiblity to manage them responsibly, not the license to be an immature, arbitrary jerk who deletes "found it" posts without just cause.

If either of you now realize you have not been managing your caches appropriately, it may explain why the other person has a dispute with you. An apology and an invitation to restore legitimate logs may help resolve it.

Worldtraveler

If it really bothers you to be missing some found it caches then post them to your own cache (one that you hid). In the description say what that cache was for.

----(sig line)---> Did you ever do any trail maintainence? - if so you will know that all but the most worn trails need continuous maintenance to prevent mother nature from reclaiming it. herd paths are quickly reclaimed - k2dave