Anything for a find?

WaldenRun

yeah and??? icon_wink.gif

So its ok to log a cache however you want now huh whether you find it or not. Maybe I will try that so that I can get my numbers up there.

I don't mean YOU but anyone, specifically those who did so.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

It was logged as missing several times, the owner of the cache posted saying, " September 28 by Nathaniel (8 found)

haven't visited it in a while and if people are constsntly weeding it, it doesn't look good. I'll get around to checking it pretty soon."

November 8th comes around, someone goes to find it and no maintenance, remarks, archiving, or disabling has happened, what are they supposed to do? The owner hasn't come back, hasn't made any notes to the page, nada. Give it to the first couple of finders, after that someone should archive it, and hurry before all the false finders log it.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

I'm not sure what the scoop is with the latest finds on that cache, but when it comes down to it - if you don't find and fiddle with the actual cache, it's just not a find. That's how I play, anyway.

It just seems like people who play around with joke finds, fake finds, alien finders, etc... it just seems like they don't really take the game/hobby seriously. *shrug* icon_rolleyes.gif

flag.gif

The Toe Pages

Nobodies ticked off that I know of Logscaler. We were joking around I and deleted my posts because the fun is over now thats all.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Cache Maintenance. Point Blank.

No, I have not been there, nor have I done that.

The cache owner needs to do his part on seeing what the problem is- and then correcting it.

I can recall my brother (P-Herm) describing this cache when he found it a few months ago. Then, it was intact and in good shape.

As I have seen, the cache has been frequented by many cachers, it is puzzling that it has disappeared, especially with the owner as well.

Forgive me, but this is what I get from the whole scenario.

Enlighten me, but archival may be the best solution.

Opey One,

The thing is that even though the cache may not be there, there are people logging it as a find anyway.

OIC2 umc. I was hoping the cache owner was getting the word the hard way and was having to go through the troubles of deleting logs to clean things up first. Some of us seem to care after the thrill is gone and want to play the game by the unwritten rules as well as the posted rules.

I wonder what the average time people play this game is?

Markwell??????

Calling markwell.

Earth to markwell. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

OIC2 umc. I was hoping the cache owner was getting the word the hard way and was having to go through the troubles of deleting logs to clean things up first. Some of us seem to care after the thrill is gone and want to play the game by the unwritten rules as well as the posted rules.

I wonder what the average time people play this game is?

Markwell??????

Calling markwell.

Earth to markwell. icon_razz.gif

Even though the cache hider appears to be fairly inactive geocaching, he has recently logged into the site (last time was 12/5/02 according to his profile) so I am guessing he probably is aware of the situation. I wasalso wondering about that 4.5 difficulty. That sounds a tad high for a cache in a local flowerbed, with a 'X marks the spot' pic of the cache location on the cache page. maybe a 1, or a 1.5?

I also just noticed the hider is only 13yr old, so that might answer a few questions right there.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

So its ok to log a cache however you want now huh whether you find it or not.

That is apparently true, and it's the fault of cache owners for not policing claims to their caches.

I often read logs claiming "virtual" finds at long missing/obviously abandoned physical caches; e-mails to the cache owners requesting that they maintain, replace or archive their cache go unanswered. (I've written about the need to periodically re-verify both a cache's condition and a cache owner's continued involvement in several threads.)

Active cache owners are no better: Just a couple of days back I noticed a new physical cache that had received two find claims from the same person within a couple of days. It was on an extremely easy, five-minutes-or-less "dash-and-grab" type cache. I wonder how many times one could "find" caches like that cache before their owners would take action?

And then there are the hundreds of logs I've read from people claiming finds because they intended to find a cache, but for whatever reason didn't. Many of them hadn't even left the car! ("I couldn't find parking and it was getting dark. Sounds like a nice location. Maybe I'll come back and try again. Thanks.") Gee, if such minimal effort qualifies for a find, what's next?

I know ... people will start claiming finds for just viewing the cache description. ("My internet connection was so slow that ...")

was intended to wake up the cache hider and make them aware of the need for cache maintenance. You have to admit it was fun. He'll get a few e-mails, check his page, see the logs gone and maybe realize the cache is gone as well. I suppose I could drive the 3 hours over there and check on it? But give him time to see what's up.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.