All the Good Spots are Taken. Now What?

There have been many a thread talking about how many caches are placed literally within sight of another cache.

Many of the 'excuses' have been "We're running out of good places to hide new caches!"

First of all, is that really true? I'm sure that it could be in high metro areas, but the examples I've seen have been within 300 feet of each other, a walk through grass, in the same area of a large park right near the entrance.

So what to do if all the good places really are taken?

Some suggestions:

• Make existing caches part of a greater multi cache.

Improve containment devices of existing caches (w/owners permission, of course)

Adopt a Cache (For those poor neglected caches in prime locations)

I'm sure there are other things that can be done to 'reduce', 'reuse', and 'recycle'. Any thoughts?

---------------

wavey.gif Go! And don't be afraid to get a little wet!

I was just at a new cache where there was an older cache about twenty feet from there. I don't think the owner of the new cache realized this. I posted a note about it just incase it would concern him. Now it wasn't because all the good spots are taken. This was in a huge state park and there are only about 4 or 5 caches there now so no need to be 20' away from each other. As far as what to do I think being more creative would help solve some over population issues and finding new spots or micros since they can pretty much go anywhere. I don't know that there are any micros in my area. Maybe thats a good thing, I'm not sure. I do plan on placing a couple just for that reason.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Bitter New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Get all the old rich landowners to donate their land as open space for us! As a matter of fact, my friend's mom did just that and my friend recommended I put a cache there. Think I will.

Lars, are you drinking and driving? DON'T DO THAT! You might spill your beer!

On closer look, maybe that's coffee

Cache you later,

Planet

Are you familiar with the term "quasi-legal"?

Find some "bad" spots............... icon_wink.gif

If your house catches afire, and there aint no water around,

Throw your jelly out the window; let the dog-gone shack burn down.

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Are you familiar with the term "quasi-legal"?

Find some "bad" spots............... icon_wink.gif

**Huddie Ledbetter**

I was saving this idea for my next but it's on hold so I'm going public (about the idea majicman!)

You can get one of these and screw it up almost anywhere in a public place, like a phone pole or something. Secure it with a combo padlock and set the combo to be the last three of the latitude. A small tupperware fits nicely inside with room left over for the logbook. Best of all it will look like it belongs there!

See? Easy!

**Huddie Ledbetter**

Leatherman has got the right idea - all the good spots aren't taken - You just need to do think differently! Not that Leatherman don't think like normal people, it's just different. hmm, still didn't come out right... Am I digging myself a hole here? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to hide a cache.

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

Leatherman has got the right idea - all the good spots aren't taken - You just need to do think differently! Not that Leatherman don't think like normal people, it's just different. hmm, still didn't come out right... Am I digging myself a hole here? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to hide a cache.

I seriously question the sanity of somebody who uses multiple exclamation marks!!!!!

You can always walk furthur down the trail or drive farther into the woods. Anyway... it's not the spot, it's the hide.

There are caches here that are hidden in old abandoned cars. The spot is not much to look at but finding a micro cache in an old rusty car is tough. To many magnetic options.

You might not be able to hide a nice fat cache just off the trail. You may have to get really creative. Disguise the container to look like a part of the natural surounds. Fake rocks, fake logs, fake birds nests, fake tree limb, fake glob of fungus. Those caches had nothing to do with the 'spot'. Those were all about the hide and the container.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

You can always walk furthur down the trail or drive farther into the woods. Anyway... it's not the spot, it's the hide.

Darned right. I could carpet the local park with caches, all different enough to keep people guessing. It only takes imagination and some craftiness.

--

wcgreen

Wendy Chatley Green

It does take some imagination, but you can still find places for a cache here (NJ). Every once in a while I'll see a new cache and think "now how did I miss that place?". I'm sure others say the same thing when I put out a new cache.

I have noticed that people are more willing to put caches closer together than they were even a year ago.

Personally, I've exhausted most of my favorite spot and now look on the local maps for uncached "green areas".

There is still a lot of virgin territory in NJ, IF the cache owner is willing to walk a little.

The problem here is that the cache owners and hunters seem to prefer a 10 minute 1.5/1.5 cache, to a 3/4, or even a 1/4. Yes, we are running out of places for a 1.5/1.5 cache in NJ (tneigel has seen to that icon_wink.gif )

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

It does take some imagination, but you can still find places for a cache here (NJ). Every once in a while I'll see a new cache and think "now how did I miss that place?". I'm sure others say the same thing when I put out a new cache.

I have noticed that people are more willing to put caches closer together than they were even a year ago.

Personally, I've exhausted most of my favorite spot and now look on the local maps for uncached "green areas".

There is still a lot of virgin territory in NJ, IF the cache owner is willing to walk a little.

The problem here is that the cache owners and hunters seem to prefer a 10 minute 1.5/1.5 cache, to a 3/4, or even a 1/4. Yes, we are running out of places for a 1.5/1.5 cache in NJ (tneigel has seen to that icon_wink.gif )

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller